The deal with dots

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by slade601, Jan 30, 2015.

1. slade601

slade601 Member

Spent a bit on a red dot today for my ar. Noticed it looked the same as the BSA from the hi point. The dot was blurry and large. But I also had purchased a magpul rear sight. There was a nice co witness going and I noticed, when looking through the peep sight at the dot it became much smaller and more defined. I have astigmatism as far as I remember, does that play a part or is it just much easier to concentrate on the dot with the rear sight?

Returned the dot for now, may have to pick it up again later. Got this stock instead. ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1422676692.423151.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1422676710.678689.jpg

2. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

More than likely you had a 4moa red dot , the more expensive higher quality usually are a 2moa . And also the lower quality optics have cheaper glass so the red dot will appear blurry compared to higher end which will appear a crisper red dot

When viewed thru the flip up sight your focus was different so the dot appeared more defined . Also when looking thru a red dot a proper and consistent eye placement will help a lot . Another thing about red dots is most of them "cheaper" have parallax issues and this can affect how the red dot appears . Most or all of the higher end red dots are parallax free up to 50 yrds

3. slade601

slade601 Member

Any suggestions on one that's also affordable? "Not more than a new carbine" the one I had bought was a bushnell. Mainly because it had the riser included. Was about $140.

4. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

The red dots I would recommend will be above your budget as I like/prefer the higher end optics such as Vortex Strikefire or Vortex Sparc . These Vortex optics are about $200 ea and I'm using the Vortex Strikefire on my AR

5. slade601

slade601 Member

200 isn't terrible. I may have to start searching on them.

6. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    lower brightness settings will usually take out the blur.