The economic impact of shooters and firearms

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johnnyBgood, Apr 14, 2014.

1. johnnyBgood

johnnyBgood Member

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

i would bet its a rather accurate account. just take ammo, its gone moments after it hits the shelves, thats cold hard cash being handed over (and over and over.....) every time the product is available. the demand far outweighs the supply on many calibers of ammo, so its also dang near guaranteed sales as soon as it can be made available. i can only speak for my LGS, but he moves product at a rapid rate. very few weapons spend more than a week or two on the rack, some leave before he even has a chance to display them. fact is, we spend ALOT of money on firearms and all that goes along with them.

3. I spend a ton more than average apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I am not sure there are enough gunners in the U.S. to have a major effect on the "total economy". It will in specialized areas and with certain products, but overall, probably not a big footprint. Ammo is still driving the market but gun sales are down nationwide.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm not so sure about that. Every gun manufacturer is posting record profits and none of them seem to be able to keep up with demand.

I keep hearing that market penetration for guns has slipped over the past 100 years (there are fewer gun owners, but they own more and more guns per owner). I'm not sure that this is an accurate representation either. Superficially, what it appears is that the raw number of gun owners is, in fact, growing, but that the general population is growing faster. Thus the number of gun owners per capita is "shrinking." Basically, as a percentage of the total population of the U.S., 100 years ago gun owners were X% while today, as a percentage of the total population of the U.S., gun owners are < X%. But the total number is still growing. Democrats like to spin that to claim that there are fewer gun owners even though that's only per capita. In a sense, however, they're not "wrong" in what they think it means to them in elections; i.e., elections are about percentage of votes one way or another, not raw numbers. A vote of 1,000 to 1,001 in their favor is no different in result from a vote of 100 to 101 in their favor.

But before I go too far out on a limb I'd like to do a little bit deeper dive into the numbers to see if what it appears superficially is actually the case.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. johnnyBgood

johnnyBgood Member

My wife works at a sporting goods store and has noticed long gun sales have dropped and we think its because they have to be registered now ( before they weren't ). I do know hand gun sales have increased because so many are falling off the "safe gun roster".

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

i can only speak for my area, but, my LGS is moving product faster than ever. sales are definitely UP.

9. Thanks for posting the facts.

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I think you're missing the point about multipliers.

If I buy a gun at a local store the owners will use part if it to pay for in inventory and part to pay his staff.
    The staff is local and spends that money in the local economy by going to shops, restaurants or pay for services
    That one dollar you spend was used three times over.

So when you buy at Wallmart 90% of your money goes to China but still 10% is used by the employees in the local economy.

In any case, you purchasing has more effect then you may think

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

^^^ dead on!

12. which is why I always tell people to buy made in america. But that's ridiculous everyone says. your an A** hole the global economy is whats better for me they say.