Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so it's more of an "I WILL come get you"... rescue bag but;

I think I'm done.....

Just need to sort out how I want to get the folding saw, etool and hatchet situated....

Wood Luggage and bags Motor vehicle Bag Gas

Luggage and bags Bag Gas Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory

1. Red pouch is for CAB/trauma. (Circulation, Airway, Breathing, hemorrhage control)
2. Orange pouch is breaks and sprains.
3. Tan pouch is for minor wound care and cleansing.
4. Black pouch (not mounted) is for triage. (Stethoscope, BP cuff [a.k.a. the old manual sphygmomanoneter], thermometer, glucometer, trauma shears, hemostats.)
5. Main compartment contains:
A. A dry bag with a bivy bag and rain gear.​
B. Orange medical bag for larger wound dressing and management.​
C. Red hard shell case for meds.​
D. 2L top fill hydration bladder.​
6. Front compartment contains:
A. 30L stuff sack​
B. 5'×7' survival blanket/bivy.​
C. Survival gear pouch. (Fire, water, fishing, navigation)​
D. Tape. (Duct, electrical, flagging)​
7. Externally mounted equipment (currently) includes knife, trauma shears, 550 cord, and two 31kN (7,000lb) rated carabiners.

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
I have asprin, a box-o-band-aids, two sewing needles and black thread from mama's kit and a roll of duct tape. Sure hope you're close if it drops in the pot.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
25,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Might want to check out the "What's in your IFAK" thread for the detailed list on what I keep in my IFAK, and the survival gear thread for most of the extended list of what all I was considering on putting in this pack.

The med pouch thread is mine as well....

Edit: I'll be giving a full on detailed list of each pouch, with pictures, but the ouch pouch (the brown one) also has superglue in it. There's even a stapler and a suture kit in the wound management bag as well....

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
Might want to check out the "What's in your IFAK" thread for the detailed list on what I keep in my IFAK, and the survival gear thread for most of the extended list of what all I was considering on putting in this pack.

The med pouch thread is mine as well....
I'd like to see a paired down version for people of lesser training, I still have more skills than 95% of the population but I'd like an IFAK and maybe an additional carry pack that I could use, a good friend IRL who is a volunteer FF and first responder told me I was about 8 hours short of a first responder certification if everything was current (which it is not)
I think that gives you a fair picture of my level of training, if not, I will go into detail.

I'd feel comfortable with things like sutures, that's about my limit I think. But in a true emergency I might be forced to do a little more, in order to save a life. But the fine line is knowing when to prep a patient for transport or when to do more. I'm more prone to punt and prepare someone for transportation to a doctor than to do more, unless it was a true SHTF and none were available. IYKWIM

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
I'd like to see a paired down version for people of lesser training,
I totally agree. I doubt I'll ever have your training - it is quite extensive, as is your experience. A recommended kit for dummies, however, would be good, as would recommendations on medical training. I've done "Stop the Bleed" and basic CPR but beyond that...I'm often guessing.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
I totally agree. I doubt I'll ever have your training - it is quite extensive, as is your experience. A recommended kit for dummies, however, would be good, as would recommendations on medical training. I've done "Stop the Bleed" and basic CPR but beyond that...I'm often guessing.
One could easily reach My level, just takes TIME. ( u might be citing Rach!)
I have had all the BSA training, TWICE, Red Cross first aid and CPR more times than I can remember, and then some very good stuff with my professional career and for a while I was maintenance and house dad at a state qualified children's home. Like Rach, I never pass up free training but my opportunities were more limited than his, most likely.

BSA was actually most of a certified first responder in my state. At one time. People who get these certs are indeed guardian angels. At least Indiana has good Samaritan protection last I checked <3

·
Super Moderator
25,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's all going to be based on scope and level of comfort.

I would recommend any of the military basic first aid manuals. I was an AHA certified CPR/AED and Professional Level BLS First Aid instructor. Fancy term for the asshole who had to come (re)certify Fire, EMS, and other medical professionals. I spent more time teaching from the field manuals and my own experience than I did from the AHA one.

Things like airway adjuncts. I only carry NPA's (nasopharyngeal) and not OPA's (oropharyngeal) in the field because not everybody can tolerate an OPA due to varying levels of gag reflex, but an NPA is always tolerated, they can be trimmed for length, and they can be used for an emergency field cricothyrotomy (cric) in a pinch. If you don't have an intact naso or oral airway and your usual landmarks are borked? You take the NPA and aim for the bubbles, then make sure you fish it towards their chest...

I use 3¼" 14ga needles for performing needle decompression of a tension pneumothorax even though the book says 2 ½" because people are different levels of thick and 3¼" will always reach.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
It's all going to be based on scope and level of comfort.

I would recommend any of the military basic first aid manuals. I was an AHA certified CPR/AED and BLS Professional Level First Aid instructor. Fancy term for the asshole who had to come (re)certify Fire, EMS, and other medical professionals. I spent more time teaching from the field manuals and my own experience than I did from the AHA one.

Things like airway adjuncts. I only carry NPA's (nasopharyngeal) and not OPA's (oropharyngeal) in the field because not everybody can tolerate an OPA due to varying levels of gag reflex, but an NPA is always tolerated, they can be trimmed for length, and they can be used for an emergency field cricothyrotomy (cric) in a pinch. If you don't have an intact naso or oral airway and your usual landmarks are borked? You take the NPA and aim for the bubbles, then make sure you fish it towards their chest...

I use 3¼" 14ga needles for performing needle decompression of a tension pneumothorax even though the book says 2 ½" because people are different levels of thick and 3¼" will always reach.
Summa dat makes sense, some is just beyond my level of physiological knowledge.
I've not been trained in airways, but your simple rule of thumb "aim for the bubbles" is pretty clear! I'd rather have a bit of extra gear that I didn't need, or was not trained in, than Not enough. Because someone else may be around to help.

For instance, take Kentucky Ballistics when his RN50 blew up and nearly killed him. I could have done that level of care, possibly. Pretty basic, until you have to do it to YOURSELF. Not much more than direct pressure but still very, VERY fortunate to be alive!! A thumb in the carotid artery or jugular is not an ideal situation :rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
25,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Summa dat makes sense, some is just beyond my level of physiological knowledge.
I've not been trained in airways, but your simple rule of thumb "aim for the bubbles" is pretty clear! I'd rather have a bit of extra gear that I didn't need, or was not trained in, than Not enough. Because someone else may be around to help.

For instance, take Kentucky Ballistics when his RN50 blew up and nearly killed him. I could have done that level of care, possibly. Pretty basic, until you have to do it to YOURSELF. Not much more than direct pressure but still very, VERY fortunate to be alive!! A thumb in the carotid artery or jugular is not an ideal situation :rotfl:
That's what hemostats or an Israeli dressing are for.

Learn how to operate a tourniquet, 1:10 are allergic to antibiotics so ask before you apply neosporin or just use A&D, always have a pressure dressing on hand, and BSI (Body Substance Isolation) is the most important rule.

Also: NPA, hollow plastic or soft rubber tube with a flange through the right nostril with surgical lube for conscious, semi-conscious, or unconscious patients, and patients where the oral route may be compromised due to a bunch of reasons.

OPA is a "J" shaped soft plastic or hard rubber device that goes in the mouth upside down and is rotated 180° as you reach final position to keep the tongue pulled forward. It also involves you using your thumb to hold the tongue in place. Unconscious patients only unless there's an intact gag reflex, which can be complicated and require removal if the patient regains consciousness.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
That's what hemostats or an Israeli dressing are for.

Learn how to operate a tourniquet, 1:10 are allergic to antibiotics so ask before you apply neosporin or just use A&D, always have a pressure dressing on hand, and BSI (Body Substance Isolation) is the most important rule.

Also: NPA, hollow plastic or soft rubber tube with a flange through the right nostril with surgical lube for conscious, semi-conscious, or unconscious patients, and patients where the oral route may be compromised due to a bunch of reasons.

OPA is a "J" shaped soft plastic or hard rubber device that goes in the mouth upside down and is rotated 180° as you reach final position to keep the tongue pulled forward. It also involves you using your thumb to hold the tongue in place. Unconscious patients only unless there's an intact gag reflex, which can be complicated and require removal if the patient regains consciousness.
I need Moar Training :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts