The FBI is switching to 9mm

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by GoesBang, Oct 7, 2014.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very interesting...:cool:

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have been reading for a while now that police are trending back to the 9mm. Interesting to know how much faster the trend will progress now that the agency that birthed the move to 40 caliber is now reverting to 9 mm.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

"Shots to the Central Nervous System (CNS) at the level of the cervical spine (neck) or above, are the only means to reliably cause immediate incapacitation. In this case, any of the calibers commonly used in law enforcement, regardless of expansion, would suffice for obvious reasons. Other than shots to the CNS, the most reliable means for affecting rapid incapacitation is by placing shots to large vital organs thus causing rapid blood loss. Simply stated, shot placement is the most critical component to achieving either method of incapacitation."​
    I've been saying this for decades and it seems like I have been talking to a wall. I have also added that "structural damage," such as broken bones and severed muscles or connective tissue, can also affect a stop, but those are particularly difficult to reliably achieve with a handgun round.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. selective hearing, if i believe you. I have just lost all justification for my dream of a shiny 357MAG, until i have enough money to just say "i want that"

No one wants to believe you. but you are right.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

"I want that and can afford it from my gun-buying budget" is 100% perfectly reasonable justification.

Though I don't say it often, it irritates me when some woman says to me, "why do you need yet another gun?!?" when she's got 50 damn pairs of shoes or 30 sweaters.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

Well, if you can't be sure of hitting him in the head with a 9mm, hitting him in the chest with a .44 magnum will just have to do!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have 5 pairs of shoes and no sweaters. Can I get another gun?

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yea!!!

I'm officially more heavily armed than the Feds.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Make it woman logical..... This gun doesn't go with these pants.... Need another gun!

11. Yes it is, I'm just to impatient for my kids to grow up and start providing for them selves. so i can buy more guns.

Then i realize that i lied, i don't want my kids to grow up. Because then my daughter will be dating, and I will truly NEED the guns.

and my son will think its boring to blow up water bottles in the back yard.

You can just never get life perfect.

12. Thats right, I need a 1911 for when i am dressing up :p

black, brown, and green depending on my belt/shoe/ tie color.

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

And no stainless after Labor Day!

14. LOL, and Long slides for the winter!
    Suppressors for when we don't want to be bothered.

Man this could be the list of reasons yet!

15. The 10mm/40 S&W era in law enforcement, was a knee-jerk reaction to the 1986 Miami shootout. Like most things in government, it was hastily conceived and more subjective emotion than fact or objective logic. Critical thinking skills and common sense are still badly needed. A rifle always beats a handgun, handguns are very useful, but have their limitations. Check this out: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

16. What's the old line? A pistol is only good to get to the shotgun, shotgun is only good to get to the rifle.

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

My thoughts exactly.

18. Sirex

Sirex Member

Central Nervous system? Hell, I am a ruthless SOB, I shoot for the balls. Reminds me, I need some .410.

19. Yawnnnn...

Probably would not affect most of us, unless you are a government agent. I really don't care what the FBI carries. I am a little concerned that they find any excuse to spend more money. And then throw it away destroying perfectly good guns.