The Great Corona Virus Ammo Shortage of 2020

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Unfortunately, most don't have the luxury of having their own rural acreages or nearby BLM land where they can go set up their on dynamic targets. Most have little practical choice but to go use indoor ranges.

As far as ammo goes, the ones who didn't stock up when it was cheap made a horrible mistake. You will probably note that many of us did, but space and fire code limitations don't allow everyone to stock up a year's worth of ammo, based on how much we shoot. 4000 rounds of 9mm takes up four .50-cal ammo cans (typically--some manufacturers use smaller boxes, allowing 1200 rounds in a can), and if you stock several other rounds, too, four of those ammo cans take up a lot of space on the shelves.

The current purchasing for people around here, as distasteful as it is, is just to round out existing reserves for the high-volume shooters.

Rerun likes this.
  2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The most people you are talking about is city dwellers in big cities. The rest of the country can just go drive down a gravel road and shoot shit.

3. Think1st

Florida
    I wish that were the case. The amount of open land where you can do that varies from state to state. I've had the misfortune of living in the ones where a lot of the land is either privately owned or held by the state as wilderness preserves where the only shooting you can do is in conjunction with hunting.

Arizona and Utah are the only states where I've lived that you could just go out and shoot stuff on some nice BLM land.

4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

We used to hit yard sales, buy stuffed animals and drive South of Alligator Alley in all that open area down there. Now it's "Picayune State Park." Doubt they let you shoot down there now.

5. Think1st

Florida
    I guess one good thing, though, is that we at least have plenty of ranges available.

6. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Member

It's fun reading how many people expend thousands of rounds punching paper on a weekly basis. Dang, of your not a good shot when your 50+ years old give it up.
    I can drive 30 minutes or less and get to federal land to target practise. Or twenty to go to a county range.

Silversides likes this.
  7. TNTRAILERTRASH

You don't know a whole lot now do you? If I reloaded, and I was 3 1/2mi from a range that I had the keys too............I would be there every week. I would have been there every week before this ammo shortage.

I know if you compete, or if you are really serious about saving your own ass because you carry a gun for a living? You would change your attitude. Being smug about slow shooting at a target doesn't impress me. Put some pressure on where things are moving, swinging, flipping, toss in mag changes, switching hands, and one handed shooting. The beep of the timer, the draw from under your daily cover. When I compete the range guys ask, "where's your gun?" It's IWB or OWB under my shirt. When I get to compete it isn't with a $300 whizbang holster, super competition $3000 gun either.

CowboyBob, GrumpyOlMan and Think1st like this.
  8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

that's the dumbest thing I've read all day

9. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Member

As granpa said, What ever turns your crank.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Did your grandpa think that he didn't have to practice skills to keep them sharp like you do? If so, then both of you are wrong.

CowboyBob, GrumpyOlMan and Think1st like this.
  11. Think1st

Florida
    Jerry Miculek shoots more than any of us. Do you think he should give up for lack of progress at 50+ years of age? Just asking.

12. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Member

Ok, I guess if your an old - overweight - beer guzzling guy who is out of shape you might want to do a thousand rounds a week.

Never said I don't practise did I?

How fast can you draw and shoot off one round?
    Are you point n shoot or are you aim an shoot?
    How long does it take you to lift your shirt to get to your gun? Or,
    do you always open carry?

I practise point and shoot within 10 and 20 ft. I never just stand and target practise. It's not a natural thing to do in any emergency. I don't roll around on the ground either. Thats for movies. I may go low and prone. less target. My hand is virtually on my gun where I carry it.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

sure. Say something stupid and then try to figure a way to back out of it with roundabout logic so you don't sound like as much of a boob.

CowboyBob, GrumpyOlMan, Merle and 3 others like this.
  14. moona11

Theres days when I wish we were all actually face to face.

It would settle some people's tits. Kirk you could just hug him and I would giggle

Bullitt68 and Think1st like this.
  15. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Member

For a mod you sure can hurl insults.

16. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Member

Bring it. I'm in southeast AZ. I'll take u out to federal or a range.
    Can't do fast draw at a range. I only d o long guns there.

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

What? Rach has been absent a bunch lately. He can fling it! :lol:

moona11 likes this.
  18. moona11

You going to draw on me Wyatt? Lol

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Boob? Yea. Real insultive. Oversensitive much?

20. moona11

At this point this one, rugrat, and that other guy with a pilot avatar are probably the same returnee.

Think1st likes this.