The history of school shootings & rise of liberalism

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MaryB, Oct 5, 2015.

1. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Track the rise of liberalism, then the spike in the 90's when gun free zones came about, then a massive spike in 2010 after Obama came to power!!!

1960's: 17 school shootings
    1970's: 24 school shootings
    1980's: 35 school shootings
    1990's and the birth of gun free school zones: 47 school shootings
    2000's: 48 school shootings
    2010's: Obama comes to power and rampant liberalism is instituted 118 school shootings to date!!!

Liberalism and gun free zones are the cause of school shootings! NOT GUNS! When I went to school in the 60's and 70's we took 22 rifles with us so we could hunt after school!

2. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Same here. If you got a new gun/bow/knife you brought it to school to show your buddies. Pull it out of your locker between classes or at lunch, show it off, then put it back in your locker (without a lock) until the next break. Nobody even thought twice about it.

Times have changed.

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

No argument here.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    In before the Kirk...

Correlation does not prove Causation.

But... There is something going on there. I blame it on poor psychological health; it results in liberals, and shooters. Both are increasing, both are bad.:cool:

5. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Correlation is a sure clue SOMETHING is wrong. What has changed since 1960? Single parent households is big, drugging the crap out of our kids is recent, rise of liberal polices that both of the above fit into is recent...

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Correlation does not prove causation.
    Society is changing.
    In my town a father (41) and son(19) are on trial for armed robberies and second degree murder for shooting a store clerk.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I still blame the increasingly mindlessly rigid approach to discipline in schools, in conjunction with the modern fad of teaching self-estime, rather than encouraging kids to earn it through accomplishments.

With regards to the discipline approach, the zero-tolerance policies, regarding shoving matches and the approach to bullying, have prevented many young boys from learning to figure out how to earn a place within a social hierarchy if they lack physical prowess. It used to be that if some prick was being overbearing and intimidating weaker, less aggressive people that the victims had to either develop the capacity to pop the bastard in the mouth or learn to use wits to make him choose another target. Now, the school systems just label the prick as a bully, tell the target that he is a helpless victim, and then the prick continues to harass the victim. The difference is that the target has been disempowered by the system but still could face severe disciplinary action if he does decide to stand up for himself. From there, his hopelessness turns to impotent rage and then to a malignant desire for the justice that the system refuses to give him, even as it fails to protect him.

This psychological chain is exacerbated by the fact that he has been called special all during his upbringing, but the prick isn't treating him like he's special, so he lashes out with the force of his built-up feelings of rage, impotence, abandonment, victimhood and the desire to earn the status to which he feels he is entitled.

Liberal policies have created a more psychologically fragile and entitled generation, and those characteristics all stuff their minds with the emotional C4 that fuels these shootings. Ultimately, the common thread with these shootings is that they all are, in effect, massive temper tantrums, and only a severely developmentally-arrested mind would voice what these shooters voice. While correlation does not necessarily equal causation, there certainly are factors that can link the two in this case.

This is just my theory, though.

8. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

There are many factors. The rise of radical Islam. The de-sensitization of our youth to violence due to video games, primarily first person shooter games. The rise of social media and the need for "my 15 minutes of fame". The over medication of our children. The list goes on and on.

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

What the recent shooter had in common with the California guy is his lack of female friends and his frustration as a result of it.
    Protective mother.
    Doesn't help any of us but from a psychiatric standpoint these cases are interesting.
    The sissyfication of society leading to mass shootings.

10. peorth

peorth Member

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...ne-common-factor-a-warped-view-of-masculinity

When the gen Y kid's expectation is this:
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHDkIxyu2A[/ame]

And reality is far from that expectation, the person will be unhappy.

I grew up in Orange County CA in the 80s. At 16 I was pushing shopping carts for $3.25/hr while my well to do friends were boating down at Newport Harbor. If life is a race we do not start at the same starting point. Those who were born to wealth or won the genetic lottery will be well ahead of you. I understood and accept this reality -- I had to work harder for what others take for granted, and I am fortunate because there are many people in a worse place.

But to a younger man who believes "life should be fair", it's difficult to turn them from anger when their expectations are far from reality and they don't see a future for themselves.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  11. Think1st

Florida
    That sissification arguably is largely connected to school systems that inhibit boys' ability to find who they are through the natural process of physical, mental and emotional struggle with other boys, by way of normal conflict. If they have overprotective parents and school administrators, then they end up never developing the kind of masculinity and psychological resilience needed to deal with what everyone else deals with, too. These guys all seem to think that the world has done them wrong, rather than looking inside of themselves to examine what it is that they need to cultivate, internally.

If they have been coddled throughout their lives, then they will never learn to be introspective and sufficiently well-adjusted to have normal relationships. It all goes back to the roots of this increasingly emasculated generation--that combination of modern school policies against developing healthy assertiveness and parents who bubble wrap their kids.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No it isn't. Correlation is just correlation. It's a clue that the two things MAY be related but not proof that they are. They may not be related at all. Or they may be weakly related through some third thing. Or the two things may be unrelated but caused by some third thing.

You know what is also positively correlated to the rise in school shootings?
    • A rise in greenhouse gasses. Maybe Big Coal/Oil is causing the rise in school shootings?
    • A rise in societal obesity. Maybe fat is causing the rise in school shootings?
    • A rise in casual dress in professional environments (and an associated decline in wearing ties and suits). Maybe blue jeans and T-Shirts are causing school shootings?
    • A rise in the use of Smart Phones and Tablets. Maybe Steve Jobs and iOS is causing a rise in school shootings?
    • A rise in the inflation-adjusted price of gasoline. Ha! Big Oil again, those dirty SOB's!
    • A rise in the number and geographic density of Cell Phone Towers. Maybe William Tager was right and they really are beaming messages into our heads; messages which say, "go shoot up a school!" right?

Nah. Ajole and SWAGA are right, Correlation does not imply Causation. It hints that there may be a relationship, but it hardly proves there is one.

The fall of Communism? Blast it! It was those Bourgeois Capitalists after all!!!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My Grandpa played Army as a child. My dad played Cowboys & Indians. I played Cops & Robbers. We'd all point our toy guns directly at each other and yell "bang!" Strangely, none of us turned into mass murderers.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So Piers Anthony had it right, and we just need to mandate sex for everyone.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. Think1st

Florida
    Hey, it worked in "Brave New World".

16. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Well, we could start with that...and work our way down :rolleyes:

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The funny thing is that Huxley was apparently trying to make a scathing statement about the sexual promiscuity he witnessed in the U.S. :)

Orgy-porgie.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. As MaryB stated,many of us teens were driving around with long gun racks in the back window of our trucks.I had a .410 shotty and a .22 rifle that were hanging on it many times,clearly visible.It was no problem,no big deal then,and they had to be unloaded.Indiana in the early 1970's.As soon as I turned 18 in 1975,I bought my 1st handgun.A H&R stainless .22lr.Filled out the simple paperwork and waited 7 days for the local Sheriff to okay it.

As far as bullying goes,it was part of growing up.I had more than my share of it,and had my fill of it. I took action when I turned 16.Quit that lousy school,saved a few $$,ran away from home on a Greyhound bus to a relatives home in Michigan,got my GED,started working in a dirty foundry at 17.My parents were pissed,but I HAD to get out of that stressful high school environment.You can't learn anything when your on edge all day from worrying about who the next person you'd have to fight would be.It was THAT bad.But I never wanted to kill anybody over it.I just forced a change in my situation,and I didn't care who liked it or not.Including my parents or the law.They were glad I came back home a happy person.Lived in Indiana a couple more years and went back to Michigan.Still here in the greatest State.

19. dynapoint

dynapoint Member

And what the CA shooter had in common with the Sandy Hook shooter was a mom who was a gun enthusiast.

But correlation is not causation.

There have actually been quite a few school shootings over the years, though most didn't have multiple victims.