Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a survival situation is not to be under estimated.

Many books on survival state a gallon of Potable water per day is necessary to survive.

In truth, that is the minimum needed for drinking and basic sanitation.

Two gallons is what I plan for in case of extended survival.

Means of making one's water safe to drink include boiling the Hades out of it (holy water), iodine tablets, chlorine, and filtration; or, a combination of these.

At a different website, I'd heard about using Shock swimming pool water treatment as a means to purifying water after filtration.

The advantage of using Shock was that in powder form it would last for years.
As opposed to liquid chlorine.

Any body else know anything about this method?

Inquiring eldar

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
I have not tried using pool shock to treat water, but Backdoor Survival has an article about it. The young lady who wrote it tried it out using EPA guidelines, and she had no GI issues when she drank the treated water.

The idea of keeping the powdered pool shock instead of liquid bleach is appealing to me, and I may get some pool shock to store. In fact, I liked the article on the subject so much, I just printed it to a .pdf for further reference. Here's the link to the article:
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/how-to-use-pool-shock-to-purify-water/

·
Premium Member
36,058 Posts
According to a picture in that article, using HIS brand of pool shock, it’s 1 teaspoon per gallon.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
I really dislike using chemicals to sanitize water. Never seen one yet that did not leave a nasty aftertaste.

That said I still have more than I will ever use. Leftover from when we had our pool. A partial bucket full. I am saving it for those just in case times.

My personal favorite way to treat water is to filter out any solids such as sand and leaves and such. Normally use a bandana then boil it.

·
Super Moderator
28,601 Posts
I really dislike using chemicals to sanitize water. Never seen one yet that did not leave a nasty aftertaste.

That said I still have more than I will ever use. Leftover from when we had our pool. A partial bucket full. I am saving it for those just in case times.

My personal favorite way to treat water is to filter out any solids such as sand and leaves and such. Normally use a bandana then boil it.
First let me say I agree.

Fuel is always the problem though. Can you get enough fuel to boil enough water for you, and everyone else, every day? It's hard, even if you have a decent source of "free wood." Propane is nice but it runs out quicker.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

Reactions: Think1st and Rerun

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,020 Posts
In a survival situation is not to be under estimated.

Many books on survival state a gallon of Potable water per day is necessary to survive.

In truth, that is the minimum needed for drinking and basic sanitation.

Two gallons is what I plan for in case of extended survival.

Means of making one's water safe to drink include boiling the Hades out of it (holy water), iodine tablets, chlorine, and filtration; or, a combination of these.

At a different website, I'd heard about using Shock swimming pool water treatment as a means to purifying water after filtration.

The advantage of using Shock was that in powder form it would last for years.
As opposed to liquid chlorine.

Any body else know anything about this method?

Inquiring eldar
I have it for the camper. A tiny little itty bitty amount will flush out anything in the tank and lines. Lasts forever.

·
Premium Member
21,449 Posts
Back in happier times I kept a hovel with a roll of toilet paper on it. One or two scoops in the sugar sand of SWFL. Squat, cover it back up. Ground is a little harder here. :lol:

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
First let me say I agree.

Fuel is always the problem though. Can you get enough fuel to boil enough water for you, and everyone else, every day? It's hard, even if you have a decent source of "free wood." Propane is nice but it runs out quicker.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)
I have enough fuel to last for the foreseeable future. White gas and propane, somewhat less kerosene, and the least butane. Wood is always my primary. Never had a shortage. Primary heat is electric, but wood is secondary. We often augment to keep the electrical bill down since wood is free...except for the labor processing.

I do not see wood as being is short supply. Should TEOTWAWKI happen and you live through the initial stage, wood will likely become more plentiful. When society breaks down and the people stop keeping nature in check and nature takes over again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts