The Importance of Shooting One-Handed

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by lklawson, Aug 17, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Just a quick little article. A few years old too, but still useful and thought provoking.

www.alloutdoor.com/2014/07/02/impor...etter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2015-08-15

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

It is important to practice using one hand and to also practice weak hand shooting. In addition to practicing shooting, you should also learn and practice how to do a one handed reload and a one handed jam clear. ;)

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

And you get to look gangsta as f#@k!!

Attached Files:

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Holding your johnson trying to shoot "G" style while wearing pink ears makes you look like anything BUT an OG. :rofl::rofl:

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

Always tryin' to keep a brotha down.

6. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I saw this yesterday somewhere... maybe on fzbk.... laughed my azz off! :rofl:

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I shoot ambidextrous, depending on the day one hand might be better then the other.

8. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Not me. I can shoot with either hand. ;P

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous. ;)

More seriously, however, I do practice with either side, both Offhand and Two-handed.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

It's 'give Your left leg'!

Too many folk that have lost the use of an arm have been unable to continue prior skills because they don't have another arm to hold something with while working on it with the other arm (mechanic to name one).

eldar

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    "It only takes One White Crow to destroy the premise that ALL crows are Black!" ~Col. Thomas Bearden

I once bought a used "Marquis de Sade" station wagon off of a one-armed Mechanic!
    BEST Dirt Cheap car EVER! Drove the balls off that thing. :D

He had to change the starter before I got it, picked it up the next day! ;)

12. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I have a friend who lost the use of his dominate arm. He was a mechanic by trade.

He was unable to continue his trade for many years until he learned to train his non-dominate arm to do the things he used to do as a mechanic.

It takes him 3-4 times longer to repair an engine than it did before he lost his dominate arm.

He told me once, "If I had had the choice, I would have lost both legs versus losing my arm."

eldar

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It wasn't intended as a slight to amputees, some of whom have been friends. It as intended as a joke, highlighting the illogical and impossible contradiction of being both one-armed and ambidextrous, thus implying that the person making the statement is unaware of the definitions or does not have the forethought to see the contradiction before speaking. It's similar to someone stating "I like the color 'clear'." or "If I had to choose only one color,it would be 'plaid'."

Now that I've had to explain it, I feel kinda let down. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

It wasn't taken as a 'slight'.

eldar

15. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I never gave much thought to learning to use my left hand to do stuff I always do with my right until a few years ago when I had to have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. I learned the hard way. Have you ever went to the bathroom and tried to wipe with your less dominate hand? I was handicapped terribly trying to go abut my normal routine while my arm was in a sling. I need to practice shooting left handed more.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    THE REST OF US got it, KLawson! ;) :D
    [​IMG]

Same here, except I was born left handed, trained right...
    Not too big a deal, and now I am more ambi than ever before! Big Plus :D

17. undeRGRound

INDY
  18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hey, at least give me the opportunity to nerd it up in my humor! ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Coming to think of it, it's maybe not a bad idea to shoot at a lesser distance with your weak hand.
    Like 7 yards instead of 10 or 5 instead of 7.
    That will give you an idea about accuracy.
    10 inch target 15 yards strong hand and 7 yards weak hand for instance.
    That way you'll know what distance you can take the shot with either hand.

20. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The PPC Course used by LEO's for the past 5 decades worked that problem out pretty well as it required strong hand, weak hand shooting while standing, kneeling, and behind barricades at 3, 7, and 50 foot distances.

There are better training methods available now for a few dollars more.

eldar