Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on picking up the plans for this. Think it would be a great thing for my off the grid property.
Www.johnsonmotor.org

·
Duke of Sarcasm
5,028 Posts
definitely comes off as a sales pitch........HUGE RED FLAG!!!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
It really is simple, if it seems to good to be true it probably is. And magnets don't work like they say in the video.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Do a web search on the HJ motor, apparently HJ was the only one to ever get a working model going. That was to convince the patent office to grant him a patent. Unrepeatabilty tells me he "gimmicked" the model to make it work long enough to convince them.

·
Duke of Sarcasm
5,028 Posts
i'm still listening to the 'video'. i like how he says the only reason they are charging a fee is to cover their legal bills which keep piling up...WTF?

·
Duke of Sarcasm
5,028 Posts
i finally had to quit once i decided there weren't actually gonna show one running......hmmmm, i wonder why?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Damn laws of Thermodynamics, always ruining everyone's fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that explains why I havent heard of other people using said product. My buddy and I wrote up design so for a generator just like this... So of course it wouldnt work. Lol. Now how to delete a thread you are embarassed of? :)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
The website may be a scam, but the design appears sound. It's an electro-magnetic flywheel principle. Combined with a standard high mass flywheel, it appears to produce extended periods of "extra" energy. It requires a rather large amount of initial energy to get it moving, then over time will reach a point where the energy reclaimed exceeds the amount used to start the process.

I does not violate thermal dynamics, becasue the "extra" energy is coming from the force of magnetic attraction and repulsion. It just requires precise placement of strong permanent magnets, that will not "lock" the flywheel like most designs we have undoubtedtly seen.

A generator is then connected to the shaft to produce power to a motor that keeps the flywheel in motion "perpetually", and any extra energy is syphoned off, which apparently can be substantial in a larger design.

The key is the magnets simulate a large mass when the flywheel is in motion, much larger than the flywheel itself, so requires much less energy to put into motion. Since they actually have less mass, they have a reduced effect of friction on the load bearing surfaces effected by gravity, in this case the bearings.

There is one problem however. The RPM required will make the magnets weaker over time, due to the continual and rapid interaction. In which case the output will decrease steadily with use, eventually requiring the magnets be replaced. The period of time before they weaken to the point of not bieng usable would be determined by the durability, and overall stability, of the field produced by their atoms.

It's not a free energy system at all, just a very efficient one over a set period. Almost like a magnetic-mechanical battery of sorts. It uses the same principal as dynamic braking, based on Newton's inertia laws.

The design could be improved upon by using pulse width modulation on the motor, and integrating capacitance such as rechargable batteries into the circuit.

I would not recommend connecting one to your main however, without some regulating circuitry and a breaker. It is an untested design, and there is no telling what king of spikes you might get from the base system.

And since the magnets required to build a durable system would be very expensive, I doubt the energy savings would offset the cost, if at all. That would be a market based problem, not an engineering problem. Then you have to consider the energy required to produce those magnets, and whether or not you are saving evergy at all.

So unless some naturally occuring permanent source of suitable magnetic material is discovered, I don't think the "HoJo" generator has a very bright future. Only my opinon of course.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I think a better investment would be a stationary bike with a heavy flywheel, a Delco alternator, a deep cycle battery bank and an inverter. And the correct gearing to activate and run it.

It might be a pain in the ass, but if everyone cycles for an hour or so each day, you will be in good shape for one, and you should have no problem keeping the batteries charged.

The nice thing about alternators are they are cheap, and they are good at their job, I have an old Allis tractor I recently retro fitted with a 3-wire delco. It cost about 30 bucks and took me about 2 hours, and since the tractor is magneto powered, once it is running I can swap batteries in to it, I use it to charge up dead ones with zero problems.

·
Duke of Sarcasm
5,028 Posts
Well that explains why I havent heard of other people using said product. My buddy and I wrote up design so for a generator just like this... So of course it wouldnt work. Lol. Now how to delete a thread you are embarassed of? :)
awww...i dont think so!! you get to wear this one like a bad tattoo!!!...:D:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I humbly accept my dunce hat. And further more, know to do extensive research before presenting to the class. ...I also know a guy with a WHOLE bridge for sale! Imagine that!

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Simple physics...... it's impossible.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
The website may be a scam, but the design appears sound. It's an electro-magnetic flywheel principle. Combined with a standard high mass flywheel, it appears to produce extended periods of "extra" energy. It requires a rather large amount of initial energy to get it moving, then over time will reach a point where the energy reclaimed exceeds the amount used to start the process.

I does not violate thermal dynamics, becasue the "extra" energy is coming from the force of magnetic attraction and repulsion. It just requires precise placement of strong permanent magnets, that will not "lock" the flywheel like most designs we have undoubtedtly seen.
Regardless of how you explain it, the fact is that it's impossible to get more energy out of something than you put in. The laws of conservation of energy state that it's impossible. The only exception is in nuclear reactions, but that's because a small amount of mass is being converted to energy, thus the famous E=MC^2, or the energy produced is equal to the mass being destroyed times the speed of light squared.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Regardless of how you explain it, the fact is that it's impossible to get more energy out of something than you put in. The laws of conservation of energy state that it's impossible. The only exception is in nuclear reactions, but that's because a small amount of mass is being converted to energy, thus the famous E=MC^2, or the energy produced is equal to the mass being destroyed times the speed of light squared.
That's where you are wrong. Even a Nuclear reaction just converts energy that is already there. So it's not an exception. Matter is also not bieng destroyed in a nuclear reaction, at least no more than normal decay of matter. It is just fissible matter decays much faster, and the particles that are released can be used to create heat.

Einstien's theory just states that all matter has energy with in it equal to it's mass times the constant, squared. The energy is there, it does not have to be destroyed for it to be there or be released.

The properties of the "HoJo" are not actually energy conversion per say. They are energy storage, simply using magnets to help sustain locomotion. The energy is converted from the creation of the magnets and the initial energy put into the operation of the device. The device just allows conversion of the energy present in a magnet.

BTW, the law of conservaton of energy is; Energy cannot be created or destroyed. There for the device violates no law.

It's the foolish term "free energy" every one get's hung up on. It obviously costs something, how can it be free.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts