The Lord giveth and the Lord takeith away

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Apr 6, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

So, got an interesting phone call today at lunch time.

The wife called and was in tears.

She had just got home from shopping.

Really didn't have the money but the girls needed new clothes and she had some great coupons.

She spent $61 out of pocket and got about $130 worth of clothes.

Well, when she got home she was in a hurry because she had someone coming over to buy something to help offset the cost of the clothes. She through the 2 bags of clothes of the toaster and through her purse on the counter in front of the toaster. This is a normal practice because we have VERY limited counter space and it is a nice little nook to hide things. her purse always sits in front of the toaster and usually her DSLR camera ( a tax return splurge a few years ago) sits on top of the toaster.

The house rule is to have the toaster unplugged at all times unless it is in use. Well, my 11 year old made breakfast this morning since it was a non school day.

Bet you can guess where this was going.....

Yup, you guessed it....

Wife comes home, threw the bags on the toaster (camera was never put back after it was moved to make the toast) and threw her purse in front where she always does. Yup, the toaster was plugged in and her purse pushed the lever down.

My wife was trying to make lunch for the girls and smelled something. She assumed it was something on the bottom of the pan she was using to make lunch ( a normal occurrence). Well, she was wrong :blush:

So, well, where there's smoke there's fire....and unfortunately, the fire was the brand new clothes.

They are all ruined. $131 worth. Well, no, we think 1 t shirt survived. We'll know after she washes it a few times and see if the smoke smell comes out.

The toaster was also ruined.

The good news is that no one was hurt and the only damage was the clothes and the toaster.

So now we're out the $61 she spent plus a new toaster...and the girls still need clothes.

Oh well, the god news is that what they need are summer clothes, and in Erie it will probably be 2 months before we need them. And, the person did show up to buy what we had for sale, so we're up that $30

And they have some left over from last year that still fit.

Could be worse, but it was a bit frustrating. And it still smells like smoke in here

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

Wow! That really sucks, but it could be much worse. I have a great fear of fire. I have fire extinguishers everywhere. Toasters are dangerous all by themselves. Crumbs build up in the bottom and catch fire. I think you need to find another way to isolate that toaster. Glad it wasn't worse.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Add a tablespoon or three of baking soda to the washer. It will help absorb the odor. Trust me.

4. Man, you know how to make a scary sounding post.

my initial thoughts
    title - "oh no who died"
    first sentence (wife calls crying) " Oh NO NOT A KID!"
    then the clothes on the toaster - "ohhhhh, the freaking house burnt down"

Sad, but i do say i ended reading a lot less upset then i started.

5. tallbump

That was pretty much what I went through when I got the call.

Imagine anwering the call from a crying wife...

you hear something about fire...

I came home expecting the worst....

So all in all it could certainly be much worse.

Rach, thanks for the tip on the baking soda

My wife is terrified of fire too.

Shortly after graduating she lived with some family friends and they had a house fire, everything was lost. Luckily, she still had some stuff at her dad's, but she lost her letter jacket, yearbooks, class ring..the irreplaceable stuff.

I'm glad she handled it ok, she usually doesn't handle pressure situations well. She did use water to put out the fire. There is a fire extinguisher under the counter right where it happened. Since it was an electrical fire water could have been bad.

6. Rachgier

Not to sound like an ass, but it sounds like you need to train up the wife and kids on fire prevention/suppression. "Bad" doesn't cover how that could have gone. She did good catching it but it could have gone wrong on so many levels.

Dry Chem is your best bet for MOST small fires. B!tch to clean up, but covers most everything well enough. Always keep two handy in the kitchen in case there is a grease fire because the dry chem won't always stop those the first time through the can because they aren't designed to.

I actually suppressed a fully involved porch fire extending in to an upstairs window at a neighbors house with 2 40# dry chems just long enough to make it in the door, evacuate the people, and get back across the street to roll out an engine and get real water on the fire. Someone firebombed the house because she was a cop and fortunately my woman was on her way to work and witnessed it so I had time to catch it before it hit the main house.

EDIT: Wouldn't hurt to sit down with them and make an EAP (Escape Action Plan) with a designated meeting place.

7. tallbump

You're right Rach, we definitely need to address this as a family.

Definitely not today as the wife is too upset, but soon

8. Rachgier

Give it a few days or so before you bring it up in earnest. Talking about it at dinner and involving the kids will be a good way to keep the wife engaged. Let the girls draw the evac maps and show you how they test doors for heat, crawl under the smoke, and if YOU do the stop drop and roll routine the girls will love it.

I help teach fire safety and prevention classes for the school down the street and the day care center a couple of blocks away. Talk to your local FD or VFD about any teaching materials they might have for kids. My department has coloring books, badges, and helmets for kids who complete our safety course. Not like they can fail right? Also your local FD's might be willing to have a couple of guys suit up in front of the kids to show them they are real people inside all of that gear. It will help them get over the fear of seeing a firefighter come barreling in to their room to try and find them in an emergency situation. We're loud, clunky, sound like darth vader when we're on air, and we yell a lot. You don't know how many kids have hidden from us and died because of it.

9. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    PM me with an address. I'd like to replace the clothes.

10. rickm

rickm Member

sorry to hear your bad news.
    But something you might think about is getting a 2 hour timer (only because i dont know if they make one smaller than 2 hours) and adding inline on the toaster that way after 2 hours it wont come on for no reason til the timer is reset. I use to use them on my older coffee makers since the wife would generally forget to turn them off when she went to school.

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    You can rest assured that the Lord had nothing to do with the fire. Maybe with the fact that nothing serious happened you can give Him credit!!

12. tallbump

Thanks Dane.

I agree the Lord was watching out for us.

That's sort of what I was getting at.

I mean, He provides so much for us, can't really get upset (although I do when something "bad happens").

It was more a reflection on how we just got the good deals on the clothes (not to mention getting that awesome car seat just on Friday) then this.

Oh well, things will get replaced. The family is safe and there was no damage to the house.

13. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Always check for heat with the back of your hand. See ten years of annual shipboard and aircraft fire fighting has paid off.

14. tallbump

I always do. I think it all happened at once.

When I am home, I always unplug the toaster myself. Then I always check it by hand to make sure it is cool before I put the camera back on it.

But since I wasn't home that didn't happen. My wife didn't think to check to see if it was plugged in because I always make sure it is....but it was being used when I left so I couldn't. I think she just kind of came in, threw her stuff there and that was that.

One nice thing is that she just got a new (refurbished) Kindle Fire today from amazon to replace the one that just quit working. She really wasn't using the old one much so she is selling that to help offset the cost of the clothes. Since this is refurbished and unused we should about break even.

I feel horrible though....this is literally like her only possession besides her cellphone...but we don't have a home phone. She already sold a sewing machine, two Crickets (it's like a CNC machine to cut paper for craft products), two Kitchen Aid mixers, etc... Basically anything nice she has ever had. Hence like I said in my other thread, I am trying to get a better job to put an end to this cycle.

I could and would sell a gun if it comes to it. Easy come, easy go, right?

But the guns are the only real thing I have. I have to admit it would be hard for me. Again, I would if I had too, believe me.

It will work out, it always does.

Just glad everyone is ok

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Tall I can feel your pain. I sold most of my guns off to make house payments while I was unemployed and going back to college. You do what you need to do for your family.

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Guns are what they are..... Just guns..... I've sold all my guns a few times in my life, and while I genuinely miss a few of them, I'd do it again if I had to... With a tear in my eye maybe, but you've got one family, and a legacy with them that transcends the material.... I thank God now, that I can have the things I gave up before, and pray I don't have to again, but my wife knows I would in a heartbeat.
    Just jeep praying Bump, and don't be discouraged.... All things in their time

17. tallbump

Oh, I almost forgot I had this. There were also 2 pairs of jean shorts that aren't in the pic. We thought we were going to be able to save them for at least "play clothes" so they weren't in the pic. Once we got a closer look we realized that wasn't going to happen.

Attached Files:

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Not to nag but NEVER EVER use the top of anything electric as a storage place(well top of fridge is okay but it can make the fridge run hotter). I have seen more damaged things from people cooking them to death...

And the baking soda does work to get smoke smell out. When I was BBQ catering my clothes would stink of wood smoke. They got washed with it.

19. Rachgier

People doubt the power of baking soda in the washing machine? I even use it to wash my bunker gear after fires. I don't give a rat's ass if my gear looks and smells brand new and you think I'm a probie. At least I'm not huffing carcinogens all to look like I've been rolling around in ash and soot all my life.

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I get a lot of disconnects for fire scenes... I might be near the house for two minutes, and rarely end up in a direct smoke flume.... But dangit I stink afterwards...