The New Home Battery

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Rachgier, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

http://consciouslifenews.com/new-home-battery-grid-living-about-become-mainstream/1181658/

The New Home Battery : Is Off Grid Living About to Become Mainstream?

Feb 18th 2015

One of the brains behind Tesla motors and Paypal, Tesla Motors CEO and entrepreneur Elon Musk has a new invention up his sleeve that will help power homes at low cost, and it will make living off-grid easier than ever.

A Florida woman had to stand up to a local judge to continue living off grid when he declared it illegal, but if millions of people start to live more self-sufficiently and sustainably, what will the corrupt judiciary say then?

Musk’s new invention is based on Tesla’s lithium-ion battery technology, and the new battery is expected to help the company become a leader in the growing home energy-storage market.

“We are going to unveil the Tesla home battery, the consumer battery that would be for use in people’s houses or businesses fairly soon,” Bloomberg quoted Musk as saying.

Not only does this mean that people could tell their electric company (and their high bills) good-bye, better lithium-ion storage also means that even solar arrays would work better. Soon, clean energy could be powering everything from our ovens to our computers and lights with more ease.

If homesteaders were ever concerned about having a sufficient supply of on-demand energy, Musk’s technology would put those worries to bed. Many solar panel manufacturers won’t currently warranty their goods for off-grid living because of storage issues, but the new battery changes that problem considerably.

“We are trying to figure out what would be a cool stationary (battery) pack,” Forbes had quoted Musk as saying at the time. “Some will be like the Model S pack: something flat, 5 inches off the wall, wall mounted, with a beautiful cover, an integrated bi-directional inverter, and plug and play.”

The production of the battery is set to begin in the next 6 months. Lithium-ion technology is popular because the “li-on” batteries are great with energy density; a LIB setup can pack a lot of power into a very small space. According to MIT researchers, “Li-on” batteries offer sufficient charge times and a high number of discharge cycles before they die.

“The long-term demand for stationary energy storage is extraordinary,” JB Straubel, Tesla’s chief technical officer, said. “We’ve put in a huge amount of effort there.”
    Overall, the “system” is built to discourage any lifestyle, which would make one sovereign – that is, sustainable, and not dependant on government plutocracies. This threatens our very independence, and in a time when our water and soil is being poisoned, forces us to partake of a disenfranchising system, which causes ill health to the masses.

Anything that helps us live a more self-sufficient life untied from government-led living systems could very well help us survive in the not-so-certain future.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Crazy expensive.

But then, so are the Tesla cars.

But then...they do actually go a long way on a charge, and don't look like a mutant shoe box on wheels.:eek:

Hey! Cool smilies!

:thankyou:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

3. Rachgier

Yep, I was bored and bumped us up to 46 smilies from our original 10.

:llama:

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    You mean we have had that capability all along? :mad:

BTW, :hijacked: Already!!!

How much was the battery? I have a line on Lead Acid cells, pretty reasonably one could go off grid with that for several thousand with excellent power management. Under $10k

5. Rachgier

I'm assuming that since they haven't unveiled the actually battery yet that they are keeping the price to themselves until the ooh's, aah's, and camera flashes die down.

6. colthrash

colthrash Member

they have begun construction on a tesla factory outside of reno...

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I am waiting for the $7500 cold fusion generator.

Solar panels work when covered with snow?

Middle TN isn't the best place for wind generation.

8. Rachgier

So go harvest some animal turds and farts to fire a boiler to generate steam to drive a turbine to produce the juice to charge the battery then.

Or is TN not animal friendly either? I've heard some stories..... :stir:

9. http://www.aquionenergy.com/

Been working with this company for 1.5 years.

We are already in houses in Hawaii Cali. and guess what. the electrolyte dose not catch on fire.

But i guess we dont have a fancy name like Tesla ;)

Im just saying.....

But dont get excited all of these "off grid" "storage solutions" are going to be expensive for quite a while.
    only for those top 1% or companies looking to do away with generator back ups i imagine.

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

Lots more sheep in PA/NY wherever you could end up!

11. Rachgier

It took you 45 minutes to come up with THAT?!

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

Been running 5 windows, talking to work trying to get my W2 straightened out, and and dealing with the effects of my coffee..............

Looking at HHO systems, and that cat fight.

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

His trailer fell of the cinder blocks and he had to jack it back up, then this cute little yew caught his eye and.... well it took him some time to get its legs out of his boots. :rofl:

14. drscot

drscot Member

Tesla battery

I too am interested, but unless I am mistaken, one would have to have a source of electricity (solar, wind, etc) to fully charge the Tesla. For most people, that would leave one to charging from the grid during periods of lower cost power generation for use during higher cost periods. I would also love to have a Tesla automobile, but alas, current models are far beyond my means as a retiree and I will just bet the Tesla Home Battery will be similar in cost. My home is a geothermal home and it will be very difficult to come out ahead with Tesla in a cost-benefit manner unless we are looking at a 50 or 100 year payback. Yeah, right! As far as that woman who was told it was illegal for her to live off the grid, what happens when they shut her power off for non-payment? They not only kick her to the curb, they also kick her off the grid! Go figure.

15. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

http://www.aquionenergy.com/

Hey lcbak, keep us posted on these guys. I have an on-grid system on my house (42 panels). We totally waste energy daily and still get a small refund every January. Costs me $121.00 monthly. Before that, our elec bills went from 160.-220. a month. I have been thinking seriously about getting an electrician to tie in a batt backup system to it. I do have a 100 watt 5 batt solar backup system that we use during storms, etc. It would keep our refrigerators/freezers going for a week. I still have two brand new 240 watt panels that would work with that small system aquionenergy site advertised.

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    How's about a $5000 U$D system that electro-magnetically generates electricity and then charges the Tesla Bank? :D That is what BULL and I have been working on. This round of OT is going to buy the components for the next big phase. Then I will need an ultra-capacitor bank to convert the produced energy,
    (you guys can call it a flux capacitor if you please, everyone else does :rolleyes: )
    [​IMG]
    Then the output is fed to an appropriately sized inverter. Using batteries of any type BUT Li-Ion allows direct charging without a cap bank, but Big Oil has basically cock-blocked the better battery chemistries, especially Ni-MH. Chevron owns that one :mad: and refuses to allow license cells beyond the size of a "D" Cell. The Ni-MH technology was at least a DECADE (or 2) ahead of the Li-Ion stuff, but it was suppressed. Just imagine electric cars NOW with a 500 mile range and overnight charging capability, and/or battery swap stations to reduce downtime.

17. of course.
    Im in the engineering department more processing the assembly line than the chemical side.

still technically a start up, but we have been making them for a few years, a couple megawatts under the belt. the thing slowing us down, is there is always a better "generation" that we say HOLD THE SALES. THIS WILL BE BETTER. Then we figure it out and sell it. and..... do it again :p

Always another big money investor touring the place. I never really understand the sales part of it. as they try to sell to whole sellers and other big companies, instead of just anyone. I'm sure you could make an inquiry.

I'm sure as the line picks up prices will go down over time, naturally its all land based chemicals, no hazardous material or dumping to drive up costs, no fires. are also nice for your insurance company :cool:

18. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Or is it perhaps TOO animal:stir: friendly?

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I live next to a river. Can I use a water wheel and an alternator from an 82 Chevy Caprice?