The new layout breaks forum functionality

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by lklawson, Oct 23, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Here's another place where the new layout with vertical banners on each side (left and right) not only sucks but break forum functionality.

This thread: http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f277/mosin-nagants-like-them-not-316347/index7.html

When I open that thread, the image embedding still doesn't shrink/expand the images on that page properly. As a result, the forum does not remain centrally constrained as it is supposed to. Instead, it automatically extends to the right. However, the right hand banner is in the way. If I scroll properly, I can still read the posts in the "transparent" section at the bottom of the advertisement, however, it is still "advertisement" and mouse-over functionality remains with the advert. What that means is that I can't click on any of the "buttons" at the bottom right of posts. As a forum user, I can't click "reply" or "quote" because it's in the advertising banner. As a Moderator, I can't access Moderation functionality because it's hidden behind the advertising banner.

The new layout not only is intrusive, it breaks forum functionality and impedes my ability to perform Moderator tasks in some threads.

-Kirk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

Can you provide a screenshot of this?

I had a developer fix this very issue yesterday and am not able to reproduce it. I have access to all the buttons and the ads stay to the side like they're supposed to.

As I said before, the issue of the side ads is with the advertising dept at CMG. My hands are tied till I hear something from them.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, I just took a screen shot less than 60 seconds ago.

I was going to edit into my OP.

[​IMG]

-Kirk

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This page isn't even gifted a scroll-bar at the bottom! Can't even scroll side to side to read what's hidden behind the advertising banner.

Took this shot about 30 seconds ago.

-Kirk

Attached Files:

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

First, clear your brower's cache and cookies please and see if that resolves the issue.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Cleared the cache. Deleted all cookies. Had to log back in, of course.

Attached Files:

7. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

Okay!

I've got the same developer back on the case. He's looking into the issue.

Thanks!

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Yeah KIRK! ya Goof :p

Thanks for all the help, Chelsea!
    I'm also glad you are an actual Gun Enthusiast...
    I do not see a computer geek/admin type IT person
    even caring about a bunch of gun nuts. YOU ROCK!:dance:

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    I had that same problem, but got it fixed, oddly enough.
    But I was not in the moderator section. Dark Rooms, maybe? :confused:

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Um... You know that I'm a computer nerd by profession and inclination, right? Senior Linux/Unix Systems Administrator, in fact. :cool:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm going to bounce my workstation and see if that helps. Logically, it shouldn't, but it's a Windows workstation so I've come to expect it. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

Alright, some adjustments were made.

It looks good on my end but give it a shot on yours please.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    So why did Chelsea have to remind you? :rofl:

Sorry, no one else is around to pick on ;)
    I may have a job* for you once I get my OU Generator running :D
    Can you program in assembly language and the like? :eek: :cool: ;)

(* is 6 figures of interest?)

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It sort of fixes it. The forum interface is now, indeed, again constrained to the 60% center column. The changes fixate the linked image size to a static size without the former option image-banner which would allow full size on click. I suppose that if someone wants to see the image at full size, they could copy the link into another address bar tab.

So it works but I believe it is a kludge. However, because the forum interface is again constrained to the 60% center column, it does return the missing functionality and it is better than the formatting problem I described in the OP.

-Kirk

15. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I have an ad to post ads on the right side, but the left side is just blank. The heading and the posts have been squeezed down. Looks like sh!t to be honest. People just can't leave things alone, always have to be screwing with stuff. If this is permanent I seriously doubt I will continue to be a "Forum Supporter". I have better use for my money.

16. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Doing a wholesale clearing of the cache is OK, but there is no way we should have to clear all of our cookies cuz your developer has an issue with some code.

For many of us, that means re-logging into a bunch of other forums and website. Just ain't gonna spend the time.

(I do use a "cookie cleaner" program that lets me clean specific cookies.)

At minimum, the developer can switch the name of the cookies (and leave the old ones intact) he needs till he gets it fixed.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I assume that this was a decision made to increase add revenue and, therefore, forum profitability. Which is, of course, the whole reason that the parent company bought the forum.

The problem is that these adds are TOO intrusive. Sure, forum users are bound to see them. But being too intrusive, it will drive forum users away in the long run and encourage users to use more add-blocking software which not only defeats the purpose of the adds, but actually reduces over all profitability by discouraging new members.

It's a short sighted decision.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

The developer has no issues, so let's not start with that please. I understand that this situation is frustrating.

I understand it's annoying to log back into forums - I have to do it every day. But, in order to help troubleshoot the issues we're unable recreate here, some things need to be done by the moderators here to help out at HQ. I'm not asking the entire forum to do it, just LK so he can help me troubleshoot.

19. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

Like I said before, this issue is with the advertising department.

As we speak, there are several different options being examined on how best to tackle this.

We're working on it, and I appreciate everyone's patience.

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...she with the awesome locks hath SPOKEN!!! :p