The new TS stock goes to the range

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by GUMBY, Mar 18, 2015.

1. The glacier finally thawed at the range so I took the re-stocked 995/TS up to try it out this morning. Holy cheek slap batman. Kinda uncomfortable. The old stock did not slap me. So looks like the pad from brass stacker or the cut out mouse pad or the para cord thing will be getting installed. The NASA launch pad spring setup on the butt does cool the recoil a bit. I put 70 rds of my 124gr loads out the pipe without any probs. I kinda wish I would have kept track of how many rounds I have fired through it since I got it in 2001. A bazillion at least. Oh , and with not o n e problem. HP builds good stuff !

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hmmm
    M son shot mine and said it had the cheek slap, but I never noticed.
    Thinking I did not get as good of cheek weld... He's a much more advanced
    shooter than I am, as a USMC Vet :cool:

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I noticed the cheek slap with my 4595TS, the first time, too. So did my wife. I can bull through it with no problem, but my wife ended up sticking to shooting it from a rest, with her off hand on top of the stock as a cushion. She looked like a '60 gunner :p

I'm actually looking at ordering something from GOD' A Grip:

http://godagrip.com/cheek-pads.html

The material they use in their pads is called Sorbathane, and it is apparently one of those cushioning materials that actually has visco-elastic properties, so it absorbs shock more efficiently than many other materials.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I swear, I'm surrounded by a bunch of sensitive skinned little girls.

I've been slapped more by women than I have my 4095TS...

5. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

LOL!! , I'm a Marine and never felt cheek slap on my 995ts and have used 124 grain fmj with no issues

6. I don't know. I wonder if the springs make it worse.
    How much recoil would there be from a 9mm rifle if you get a good firm shoulder on it.
    I swear this things moves more than my 30-30.
    And I think it moving back then forward is what's grabbing our pretty little faces.

7. srb61

srb61 Member

on my 4095ts I cut down the stock and nixed the springs and felt the cheek slap the first time to the range with 75 rounds,the second time I was concentrating in pulling my forward grip into my shoulder and after 110 rounds didn't have the check slap issue. ..

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

Duct tape and a maxi pad is what you kitties need!! ;)

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I know you and I both also have a beard, might make a diff. But it is almost exclusively with the 995 it seems, either that or the big boys that shoot the big-boy calibers do not notice :D Even when I thought I felt something, it was "meh"...

:rofl:

Apparently, BOBs and ROBs are immune :D

10. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Use the one with the wings its all The rage with the Air Force types. ;)
    Can also double as a coaster or spill mat.

Only when I've used the hotter ammo have I ever had any check slap, the over the counter stuff no problem ,but then again I do out weght my carbine .

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    My Mosin doesn't slap me like my 4595, and I keep a solid cheek weld with it, too. I do wonder if the the plastic seems on top of the carbine stock have something to do with it.

12. srb61

srb61 Member

My cheeks are very thoft and I have withskers too, it makes for a fairy thexy cheek weld !

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I never had cheek slap with the ATI stock, had a little cheek rub once, after firing a couple hundred (plus) rounds in one trip to the range.