Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my C-9 is my current favorite toy, the next best (really, it might be even more indestructible) is the 12 gauge single.

I've got a couple of NEA 12's that cost about $80 (I just saw them in the Big 5 ad for $116). If you want a long gun to go with your HP and you're on on a tough budget, it's a good way to go.

They absolutely, positively, never break. They never mis-feed (you shove a shell in with yer thumb), and a shot from a 12 gauge is usually all you'll need.

I've got a "shorty" (18 1/4" barrel, short stock) and a long one with a 26" full choke barrel. With the long Tom I can get 1-3 00 buckshot on a 12" paper plate out to 50 yards. With the short dog I took down five beer cans set about 8" apart (and plowed dirt, cut branches, and knocked down leaves) at about 30 yards.

With some practice, I'm able to get off five shots in about 12 seconds.

I like 'em for the same reasons I like my HP: Cheap, strong, nothing goes wrong, and I can still out-shoot the snooty guys with their Bennelli's.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
AMEN BROTHER! I've got an old S.S.Kresge model 151 (manufactured by FIE in Brazil in the 60's and 70's) that my dad gave me when I turned 14. Still shoots like a champ.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I can still out-shoot the snooty guys with their Bennelli's.
I have a Benelli. :(

Totally agree though. A single shot breech loaded shotgun is a great thing. Inexpensive and dead reliable.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Had a chance to buy one for $40 once at a park-n-swap in upstate NY, but passed because of the worry of the laws up there (it was an NEF). Kick myself to this day.

THEN, last year I had a chance to buy a NEW one for $50 at a pawn shop in N. Phoenix. Never was able to make it up there. Kicking myself again!!

Next time, I'm DAMNED well going to buy one!

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I have my dad's old Hopkins and Allen 12 ga single The end of the barrel wore down very thin and was talking to the gunsmith and he checked it out and cut the end off to 18 1/2 inches. Now I can shoot it and not worry about the barrel letting go. :D

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I carry a NEF 12 ga. with the BBL cut down to 20 " in my truck toolbox . It didn't cost too much if it is (lost) , but it will make getting when TSHTF and I am at work.
Spot

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Simple to use, easy to clean, not many moving parts to screw up. Looks cool. And mine only needs 1 screw removed to take apart and store in a pillow case.

·
Registered
799 Posts
sweet.i didn't think anything about a singleshot and we got quite a few around here
cheaper than dirt.got me going,hmmmm...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Call me a noob but why is a 12 gauge single better than my pump 870?
Also, the single shot 12 gauge is a great "launcher" platform to fire things that AREN'T shot or slug related such as:

-Grappling line weights
-Flares
-Tranquilizers
-"Less than Lethal" rounds like beanbag or the like
-Paint markers
-The list goes on....

Remember: Industrious souls out there have found that the 12 gauge platform is great for getting stuff from one place to the other over long distances towards things you generally don't want to get too close to. Many of these rounds are of odd sizes, so they won't feed proper in a pump-action or semi auto shotgun, and others are dangerous to the interior bore of a shotgun. This, on top of the simple operation and matainance make the single shot 12 gauge more of a "tool" than a "firearm" in many situations.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Not only that you can repair them a lot easier. My dad broke the firing pin before I was born and couldn't find one [or didn't have the money] and made a new pin from a roofing nail. Still in it, still works, still firing after almost 50 yrs. :D

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Not only that you can repair them a lot easier. My dad broke the firing pin before I was born and couldn't find one [or didn't have the money] and made a new pin from a roofing nail. Still in it, still works, still firing after almost 50 yrs. :D
LOL That is F-ing awesome!!! he is now my hero for the day!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
grr you guys keep making it hard for me to keep my mind set on a mossberg with
all these single shot.nice piece godless.oh and toes to.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I got a NEF 10 gauge with a 24" barrel, and (2) Gauge Mate chamber adapters that allows me to shoot 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells out of it. Versatile, but heavy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 2 NEF"s one in .223 and one in 30-30 ,both are very accurate. I like 30-30 in single shot because I can use different types of bullets not just roundnose. I am planning on buying a 12gauge later . still trying to decide if single shot or do I want a pump.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I can't really fine a single shot for that cheap around here. That's why I bought my 500. I would like a single shot but still looking for a deal on one.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Saw one at a gun show a guy had on his shoulder 20ga and .223 barrel.. 125... Should have bought that but didnt..... Show me kicking myself lol

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hey my pawn shop has a single shot 12 gauge for $80.it's in perfect
condition and noone around here i guess cares for that kind of gun.
is that a good deal and if you think so i will grab it instead of the c9 on friday!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.