The NRA's commments about open carry

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by tallbump, Jun 3, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

SO, it's been a few days. It's all over the internet...can't believe were not talking about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/nra-calls-open-carry-rallies-142822502.html

I am sure you all know by now the NRA released a statement basically criticizing the Open Carry Rallies around the country, most recently in Texas.

I'm trying to find the actual statement itself.

Of course, teh liberal media is taking it out of context and manipulating it to say the NRA is against the open carry idea. Obviously this is not true.

i happen to agree with the NRA stance o this and said something similar a few weeks back when the stuff came up about Chipolte- http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f297/thanks-open-carry-advocates-insert-sarcatic-tone-308711/

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Personally I couldn't agree more.

3. What's the real issue?

I understand that some people would find these rallies disturbing and extreme, but I feel it highlights the unwarranted fear and hype that now surrounds the topic of guns in America. We all need to keep the focus on law enforcement, 2nd Amendment rights and mental health issues. I myself would not participate in such a rally, unless there was an effort to repeal the 2nd Amendment, but I do understand their passion. America has changed so much over the decades, and not for the better, in my opinion. 150 or even 50 years ago, this public display would not have been so shocking or negative, as seen by some today. ;)

4. It's killing me to say this...

But I agree with SWAGA.

Bottom line, it's a free country and a business is free to say they don't want guns on their premises. If you have a problem with that you're free to take your business somewhere else.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Funny thing is, if these guys wouldn't had paraded into these establishments with their AKs, AR's and such, we'd still have the right to carry into these establishments. Now, thanks to these folks who did it "becuase they can" we lost that right.

6. You never had a right to carry in these establishments. There is no right to carry on private property, it is allowed by property owners by not posting no gun signs. Which BTW NONE of these business have, carry is still legal, and unnoticed in the case of privilege card holders. So they are whining for nothing.

7. SWAGA doesn't the NRA use guns to draw attention to itself?

8. There are better ways to get the general public used to the idea again of open carry in business than what these guys are doing.

Maybe wear coonskin cap and carry a muzzleloader. When that seems 'normal' then move to cowboy hats, boot and 6 shooter.

Really should leave the AR/AK's & combat clothes at home unless done in a formal manner.

Other ways I'm sure of doing it also the doesn't create these problems.

It's a different matter at public rallies. There ARs and AKs are needed. Fixed bayonets would be good also.

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

Not by flaunting them around for no other reason than to blatantly scream "look at my gun!". being pro gun and following laws and fighting for your rights is completely different from carrying an AR15 into a fast food restaraunt just because "you can". Common sense....goes a long way. Sadly, many people don't have any.

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

There may come a time in the future, when a demonstration like that would be more pertinent...... But I agree, now is the time for common sense, and informative, not confrontational rallies and demonstrations.
    I believe a lot of people are getting tired of over dramatic play of the issues by both sides. I believe we should stand firm, not compromise........ But not bash anyone over the head with it.... Yet...

11. I probably wouldn't go to a big rally like that. Unless i lived in new york, california, or MD. Places where the state legislator is openly trying to disarm its citizens.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Very true, there may, and likely WILL be such a time. The more people do things like this, and do shove it in peoples faces, the sooner that day will likely come that the real fight for rights preservation will begin. People really need to smarten up.

13. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I liken their display to brandishing (almost). I'm not opposed to open carry at all, but using common sense seems to be lacking nowadays.

14. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

it's hard to believe that it's the gun laws in Texas that are generally causing this commotion. for all the bluster about how gun friendly Texas is for some strange reason they DONT allow open carry of handguns, but they DO allow open carry for rifles. so this is how Texans are forced to support open carry. With the only weapons they are allowed to carry, their rifles.

15. Really? Every mag cover put out by NRA has a rifle on it. There purpose selling memberships, collecting contributions based ON? Gun ownership!

NRA has been and is about gun control, every law they get passed is gun control. It controls how, who, and what hoops that need to be jumped through.

They are primarily in the business of supporting Pay For Privilege instead of rights. They helped write both the NFA and the GCA, as well as the Murphy act. They supported the original GFSZA as well as most gun control laws in the US and the states. They are like a drug dealer creating a market in which they control.

Constitutional carry across the board would bankrupt them, or send them back to promoting just sport shooting. As it stands now to get a license in Texas a person must take a class provided by NRA or TSRA, both opposing any form of constitutional carry.

In Texas the people have no choice but to carry long guns if they do not wish to succumb to government hoops and fees. Young people who are not military between ages 18 and 20 long gun carry is their only option to carry a modern arm for self defense. There are many of those young people involved in this effort to get constitutional carry for both handguns and long guns.

There never has been a violent crime committed in the presence of OCT members.

The restaurant crimes across the country have been committed on unarmed victims in the restaurants.

Modern long guns are as safe as modern handguns.

Guns to not make sane people insane, carried concealed or in the open.

The fears of others are not the responsibility of the public at large.

The hoopla in this case is completely filled by a group of anti gun hysterical nut case liars. It is unfortunate that many in the gun community succumb to their own fears rather than searching for the truth.

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

^^^ yes.... People do need to get over their fears our rights... But it definitely needs to be accomplished on a "choose your battles wisely" basis.... Again, I'm not arguing to capitulate to the fearmongers. But I'd sure like us to seem like the reasonable voice, in the din.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

You mean the NRA magazines that go to NRA members? Pssstt.....in case you weren't aware, the guys that get those NRA magazines, with the guns on the cover, ARE GUN OWNING NRA MEMBERS. thats not forcing it on anyone in any way, shape or form.

18. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

and as a side note related to the OPs story was this story of a Sonic in Topeka gettting robbed the same day as the decision to ban guns.

19. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

On March 30, 1989, Bill Ruger sent a letter to every member of the US Congress stating:

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives."

William B. Ruger

20. Without guns there would be NO NRA. Oh wait 'rifle' is in the name of National Riffle Association. And OCT members are not forcing guns on anyone either, that is just another MDA outright lie.