The Official Hipoint "wish list"

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Will All Freedoms Stand, Dec 11, 2007.

1. When you say "split follower", I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not saying you said anything wrong. This term just isn't in my knowledge base.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Obviously you know a magazine follower is the cradle that carries the bullet in the magazine and is what the spring exerts force upon to be able to feed ammunition properly. A split, or two piece, follower had a second piece and spring which split to allow a double stack magazine to become a single stack at the top of the feed stack where it needs to be single stack for more than 1 or two rounds.

3. riverrover

riverrover Member

I'm a newbie so....
    Has there been any idea proposed, discussion, parts swap checking of using a 4595 frame and swapping in a 9mm barrel, slide and recoil spring? I'd already thought that the 45 frame would be a little wider, but would still need opened up for a conventional double staggered 9mm mag.
    I say double staggered as the rounds above and below each other do not actually touch compared to a true double stack mag such as a Thompson where the mag is so wide the rounds above a below touch and mag also feeds from each side.

4. I am experiencing Deja Vu all over again. :)

5. Rachgier

It's like people just TL : DR the user agreements. I have to repeat the "you have no rights here" speech almost as often as we have to see the "why can't we have double-stack/Glock mags" posts...

6. Rachgier

The 10mm, 40 and 45 use the same size frame, slide, mag body, etc. I want to say the 10mm is just the 4595 spring and mag set up on the 10mm barrel, which probably started as a .40 that got reamed when some tech played "hold my beer" R&D.

riverrover likes this.
  7. But @Rachgier ; the 10mm is supposedly higher pressure/more powerful than the .45ACP loads? So the .45acp version doesn't necessarily have stiffer recoil springs than a 10mm version?

8. Rachgier

You're more than likely correct and it just has the 4095 springs in it. .45Acp is 21k PSI, .40S&W is 35k PSI, and the 10mm is 37.5k PSI. With those maximum pressures, and lawyer loads filling the shelves now a days, they probably reamed the chamber and sent it. Lol

9. Now this is good online conversation!
    upload_2020-9-26_17-22-12.png

10. Itd be hilarious if it turns out the 4095 and 1095 chambers both were proofed to something like 2-3 times a 40k psi max pressure (way overpressure) tests... thsts like 80k-120k psi chamber pressures?

undeRGRound likes this.
  11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

10mm has been shot in unmodified HiPoint firearms other then springs.
    So has 45 Super and the other one I keep forgetting about.

12. Rachgier

I believe they just reamed the chamber and ran it with 4095 springs in the videos I've seen.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Ala Makarov Double Stack MAK DS  assembled.jpg

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    Most "non-critical" stuff is de-rated by 20% (electrical circuits, for breaker trip tests) but Critical Items like 'man baskets' (personnel cages) for lifting people with cranes, well, these are tested DAILY at 5x rated max loads, and safety harness connection points must be rated a minimum of 5000# load carrying ability, for a 200 to 350+ personnel weight range, all tools and safety gear.
    In other words, I would not be surprised if these chambers are tested much higher than one would think. A static pressure test of say 200,000 PSI would insure a long service life for a 40k rated cartridge... and we know that a properly cared for firearm can last decades.

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Call and ask them. You might get lucky and they will tell the proofed rounds

16. Hmmmmmmmm. Worthy mention.
    Maybe it's time to get out my caliper and get some 3D mech modeling software.

undeRGRound likes this.
  17. I deef. I no do phone calls. I however do note that CIP requires 2 rounds loaded at 30% over max pressure... not sure what exactly +P entails if its not 30% over max pressure of standard loads :rolleyes:

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    Yes but the MAK round is the 9x18 which is too short for a 9mm round :headbang:
    Front to back that is... Plus the mag would need to be extended, iirc it's just a 10 rounder that replaced the 8(?) that the MAK originally had.

NOW, another thing I did see in that MAK searching, is a "tilting follower" which only contacts one cartridge, then subsequent rounds stack on the round below it, and at the top the narrow contact point can center up in the narrow single stack 'nose' and push the last round all the way up. Can't find that pic again, darnit :p

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    +P is 10% over pressure...
    Talking "Pressure Limits" here, IDK how individual mfg's rate them. I could see them using a 'band' and make anything between 35k and 38.5k as +P maybe. 30% over would deffo be +P+ (which is not an official designation). :eek:

20. I think that's how the 45 Redball 20rd magazine works.

retread and undeRGRound like this.