The perfect knife, does it exist?

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by greg_r, May 8, 2020.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

First off, knives have to be placed in 2 groups. Folders and fixed blade.

For a folder, I am fond of the Opinel, the Canoe knife. The Barlow and the Sodbuster. The Toothpick makes a very good fishing knife. But the perfect, do anything that a folding knife would be called on to do does exist, or nearly so anyway. The Trapper knife. I prefer the Case version with the yellow handle. Cleaning fish fowl, and game, a table knife, food prep, and just general chores. It is just about the perfect do anything knife.
    upload_2020-5-8_5-55-38.jpeg

Fixed blade? Entirely a different story. The perfect do anything knife just doesn’t exist. A good 4 to 5 inch bladed knife comes close, but it just does not get there. Such a knife with a somewhat thin spine and a flat grind will do a lot of work, but falls short for wood processing. Give it a Scandi grind and increase the spine accordingly, and you get a decent wood processing blade, but it falls short with other chores and heavier wood processing. Increase the blade length to 7 inches and it becomes a good chopper and wood processing blade, but becomes almost useless for lighter tasks.

About the best I have found is the Mora Kansbol. About a 4" blade that transitions from a Scandi grind to a flat grind, it makes a very good camp knife for general chores and light wood processing. A good fish and game knife, and a good slicer.
    upload_2020-5-8_6-9-9.jpeg

I will continue to keep my custom bushcraft knife on my side, and the Trapper will be in my pocket. But the Kansbol, along with its companions - the folding saw and axe, will be lashed to my pack.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

3. Been carrying one of these like... forever.
    [​IMG]

greg_r, Rerun and SWAGA like this.
  4. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Me, also!

If I'm going in the woods I take the Camper, my medium ax, and my saw backed machete.
    Plus a couple of 30" saw blades to make a bucksaw for serious wood processing.

eldar

ichthyo likes this.
  5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think the problem is, people want a knife to do non-knife things. Wood processing, even light wood processing, is a job for saws and axes, that’s why they were created. Knives are for whittling or feather sticks, not creating cord wood and splitting logs.

I have very few multi blade folders, the one I like the most is my Boker, but the various SAK’s are probably better overall.
    But my EDC is a locking folder, I have several that are in rotation, with my Boker Automatic being the most common.
    My three Boker multi blades, and a Shinwa, one of my EDC knives.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Rerun and greg_r like this.
  6. I also carry a locking folder, but I tend to misplace it. So I picked up three of them in a pawn shop for $5, they whole had a tray of them at the time.

greg_r likes this.
  7. histed

histed Supporting Member

For EDC, I carry the cheapest Wallyworld folder I can find. I tend to do bad things, like using it for a pry bar or a screwdriver. Don'tmind screwing up a $5.00 China special, but I'll be dipped if I'ma do that with a Case or Oldtimer

adam01364 and greg_r like this.
  8. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I don't think that there is a "perfect knife", too many variables like: purpose, safety needs, hand size, concealability and the such.

I think it's whatever is perfect for you, at the time.

greg_r likes this.
  9. greg_r

some knives are indeed designed designed to do wood processing. To replace multiple tools with one. This is a big deal when you are carrying everything on your person. The Skrama is amongst the best of them. And while it will not replace a felling axe, it will handily take care of any chores a forest axe might be called upon to do. It will also replace a saw and splitting froe, as well as outperform most hatchets and camp axes. And while you can dress small game with it, it is certainly not the best tool for the job
    467695e4cf249e03fb.jpg

The SAK is a very good too, and well recieved, but I did not like pocket carry. I replaced mine years ago with a Leatherman. Just slightly larger, and more capabilities. I do like the SAK One Handed Trekker. It would be a handy substitute for the Trapper. I just like the skinning blade on the Trapper.

For a locking blade folder, the Ontario RAT1 is my favorite. The blade is just a bit too wide for my likes for dressing fish and fowl.

10. greg_r

much better than the GLOCK field knife in my opinion, but that's about the gist of it.

11. greg_r

my thoughts exactly. while the attempt to "lighten the load" is noble, IMHO, it's just not really practical.

12. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

The longer that I'm in the military, the smaller that my knives get. A nice folder or "Gerber Tool" and a sturdy fixed blade. One for day to day and one for prying or chopping.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yes, yes there is. I was "issued" one and given a new callsign after my first firefight.

histed and ajole like this.
  14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just because they are "designed" to kinda sorta kludge the job by using odd weird techniques that take three times as much effort as simply using the RIGHT tool, doesn't make them suitable for the job.

I can dig a ditch with a spoon, and an E-tool is "designed to dig"....but a real shovel is FAR better.

The "wood processing" I do, those knives cannot do. If I have to beat the silly thing with a stick to make it work...it's the wrong tool. If you DON'T have to baton it because it weighs 2 lbs...it's just an axe pretending to be a knife.

Rufus Nathaniel REDD and greg_r like this.
  15. greg_r

you really need to try a Skrama.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Nope. Any wood on my axe will be a handle, not the thing you hit the back of the blade with.

Rufus Nathaniel REDD likes this.
  17. I think your question is rhetorical but the Gerber LMF II is perfect for my oafish use cases of mostly hacking and chopping away.

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Whichever one I don't have at the time. It's a struggle

ajole likes this.
  19. Without a means to sharpen the blade, eventually even the perfect knife will fall out of favor.
    20200508_135939.jpg

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    CRKT had an answer to that.

[​IMG]

It has a bunch of little curved springy bits that come out of both sides, in between the scales, and rub against the blade as you close it. Of course, that’s VERY little movement against the abrasive bits, and it kind of messes up the blade and almost serrates it, so EVEN THOUGH ITS REALLY SHARP, it’s not that smooth sharp like a razor, so it’s not that good, and it went out of production.
    I got one on clearance. And yes, that little silver thing way at the back is the lock release. Stupid.
    The blade, and a shot of the little sharpeners.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2020