Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing is believing. Not that i doubted Del, but I like to TRY things for myself... I just got back from a successful TEST at Ike's... :yay!:

so, I bought some strike-anywhere matches and crushed them per Delmar's directions...
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18339.0.html (any of you new folks that don't know what Delmar did here, take a look! He even made a video!!)

I loaded two into empty shells and fired them off my deck last night, nice blue flame erupted from the barrel so i said DO IT!

I devfiated just a bit from Del's plan in that I put just one heaping load of match sugar into each cup. I tamped it down good AND pressed a hole in the middle with a nail... let me explain.

I saw Del's burned thumb & decided I'd use my Lee press to push the primers into place, BUT they load from the bottom, so I can't put the anvils into the case. Instead I set the loaded primer cup into the Lee auto prime (without the dispenser thus far) and then set the anvil, point down, into the indentation made with the nail... ram it home and viola!

I weighed the match sugar & found I had used 4 grains to fill 10 Large Pistol primer cups (loading .45acp).

ALL 10 rounds fired & cycled flawlessly and hit the target close to where i was aiming (now there's a first, ha).

soooo, as far as I'm concerned the SHORTAGE is officially OVER! Yeah, it'll take a little time, but i do love to tinker, so no big loss there, just add to the addiction probably.

To Delmar I say WELL-DONE bro! I know your humble nature will have you blaming some author somewhere from some obscure book written dozens of years ago, but man, YOU found it for us and you posted it AND taught us how it's done. So a hearty THANK YOU Delmar!

FYI: for those interested in COST, at $1.00/box of matches & casting my own boolits, provided my shells and cups hold-out, the cost of a box of 50 rounds is well-under $1.00 now! WOO HOO :yay!:

for detail freaks... when i removed the anvil (gotta show ya the tool i made for this) there was always a mess in the store-bought cup, hadda clean that out. BUT Del's match sugar, clean as a whistle!

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fyi, just noticed the link i gave above is NOT the right one to Del's primer cup re-loads... maybe someone with some time could search it and post it here for new folks? (i gotta get to work)

the rounds I fired were match-stick primers, but the powder was Alliant's UNIQUE, boolits were 223gr Mule-Kickers (tried & trusted around HPFF) tumbled with Alox.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
seeing is believing. Not that i doubted Del, but I like to TRY things for myself... I just got back from a successful TEST at Ike's... :yay!:

so, I bought some strike-anywhere matches and crushed them per Delmar's directions...
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18339.0.html (any of you new folks that don't know what Delmar did here, take a look! He even made a video!!)

I loaded two into empty shells and fired them off my deck last night, nice blue flame erupted from the barrel so i said DO IT!

I devfiated just a bit from Del's plan in that I put just one heaping load of match sugar into each cup. I tamped it down good AND pressed a hole in the middle with a nail... let me explain.

I saw Del's burned thumb & decided I'd use my Lee press to push the primers into place, BUT they load from the bottom, so I can't put the anvils into the case. Instead I set the loaded primer cup into the Lee auto prime (without the dispenser thus far) and then set the anvil, point down, into the indentation made with the nail... ram it home and viola!

I weighed the match sugar & found I had used 4 grains to fill 10 Large Pistol primer cups (loading .45acp).

ALL 10 rounds fired & cycled flawlessly and hit the target close to where i was aiming (now there's a first, ha).

soooo, as far as I'm concerned the SHORTAGE is officially OVER! Yeah, it'll take a little time, but i do love to tinker, so no big loss there, just add to the addiction probably.

To Delmar I say WELL-DONE bro! I know your humble nature will have you blaming some author somewhere from some obscure book written dozens of years ago, but man, YOU found it for us and you posted it AND taught us how it's done. So a hearty THANK YOU Delmar!

FYI: for those interested in COST, at $1.00/box of matches & casting my own boolits, provided my shells and cups hold-out, the cost of a box of 50 rounds is well-under $1.00 now! WOO HOO :yay!:

for detail freaks... when i removed the anvil (gotta show ya the tool i made for this) there was always a mess in the store-bought cup, hadda clean that out. BUT Del's match sugar, clean as a whistle!
Dude I am so excited. When I first started making the primers I was pressing the anvil back into the primer cup with a pair of needle nose pliers. When I remake the video I will show how to do that as an option. Another thing I would probably do if I was using a priming tool instead of a c-clamp is to use a c-clamp to flatten the bottom of the primmer cup, after I pound the dent out and before I fill it with the primmer compound.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
fyi, just noticed the link i gave above is NOT the right one to Del's primer cup re-loads... maybe someone with some time could search it and post it here for new folks? (i gotta get to work)

the rounds I fired were match-stick primers, but the powder was Alliant's UNIQUE, boolits were 223gr Mule-Kickers (tried & trusted around HPFF) tumbled with Alox.
Here is the link to the primmer video, is that what you were looking for?

You can look up any of my youtube videos by typing delstacy24 into the youtube search.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YES! That's it Del, thanks!

folks, it's a must see for anyone who wants to end their primer shortage!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
What if we can't find any strike anywhere matches? Is there some thing else that we can use? :thinking:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
What if we can't find any strike anywhere matches? Is there some thing else that we can use? :thinking:
Is there an ace hardware store near you? They carry them. I have also made some primers with cap gun roll caps and strike on the box matches, that worked just fine, but somebody warned me that I was mixing chemicals that I didn't know about (which I was) So I made a couple of dozen of those and put them in a safe place to see how they work after they has been stored for a couple of months. If they don't self ignite in the meantime and they are still working I will make a video about those too!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Hey Delmar, how many cap gun roll caps did you put in one primer? :thinking:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Hey Delmar, how many cap gun roll caps did you put in one primer? :thinking:
Just one. Punched it out with a hole punch and put it in the primer cup. Put the side whit the bump on it toward the primer cup. Then fill it with strike on the box match head powder Just like I do with the strike anywhere powder.
I guess I don't really need to make another video of that one, do I?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Delmar, what if I was going to use those red, 8-ring cap gun caps? The white part? How many of those? I have a crap load of them.
BTW, I didn't know you were putting any red head match stick powder in with the roll paper caps.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Delmar, what if I was going to use those red, 8-ring cap gun caps? The white part? How many of those? I have a crap load of them.
BTW, I didn't know you were putting any red head match stick powder in with the roll paper caps.
In "Primer Cookbook" for M & M Engineering, they said to use 3. Moisten them with a rubbing alcohol & a Qtip. While damp put them into the cup. Let dry overnight. Can use a BP booster, but says not needed.

I've never used them. During WW2 Albert & Oelberg test homemade primers at the National Ballistics Center. They found that using a booster can increase pressures 115 to 125%.

FWIW, Albert & Oelberg said that the cups should be annealed after they are used for a while. I think it was after 6 times.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I have never messed with those. Try it.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Delmar, I'll try the 8-ring caps like you did with the paper roll caps and report back. :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
FWIW, Albert & Oelberg said that the cups should be annealed after they are used for a while. I think it was after 6 times.
Would you do that before or after pounding the dent out?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Delmar, I'll try the 8-ring caps like you did with the paper roll caps and report back. :yes:
I can't even picture what those look like. Can you post a photo?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Praise be to Delmar.
You are not going to be naming your son after me or anything are you?

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Delmar,

Still say you missed your calling as an alchemist? I'm not making any yet but you've got me thinking so I'm saving all my spent primers.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts