1. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

adam01364 submitted a new Article:

The Raven: The "Ring of Fire" Pistol That Started It All

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Interesting article, I enjoyed reading it.

adam01364 likes this.

3. Isn't Jimenez Arms the latest incarnation?

adam01364 likes this.
  4. adam01364

Nope. Nobody makes the Raven now. Jimenez Arms is the old Jennings Firearms (which was also Bryco and Calwestco.)

Dagwood and lklawson like this.
  5. cross+hare

cross+hare Member

I love my .25 Raven 1st pistol I polished and it never had a hiccup since ,it's from the 80's and still shoots great.
    CH

Dagwood and adam01364 like this.
  6. My mom is 73 years old now
    I remember when I was a kid in 7th or 8th grade looking in her bed side table and there was one of those 25's with the pearl grip in there
    There was also a bowl and a dime bag of weed in there too which is probably why I didn't shoot my brother

7. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Good history on the Raven. I had several MP25's in my SNS collection, including the engraved model that I carried for a while.

adam01364 likes this.
  8. adam01364

Greg_r, you are the first person I've come across who had one of the engraved ones. :bowdown:

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

IMG_20171216_140716.jpg IMG_20171216_140733.jpg My sister has one of these chrome Ravens she carries. I have no idea if she has actually ever shot it. I gave up on trying her to get a decent semi-auto with better capacity. IMO I would rather carry a quality .22lr over a .25 of dubious quality.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    retread, adam01364 and Greg B. like this.
  10. Zorba

Zorba "The Veiled Male" Member

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore".

Dagwood, histed, adam01364 and 2 others like this.
  11. adam01364

12. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

My mom's best friend carried a PT25. Ammo had a no. 4 shot pellet mounted in the hollow point. Don't know the ammo manufacturer.

ichthyo likes this.
  13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Winchester Super-X .25 ACP Expanding Point 45 Grain (X25AXP)

I may still have a magazine or two. Looks like it's been discontinued.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ion-25-acp-45-grain-expanding-point-box-of-50

The idea is pretty old, actually. I've seen Patent drawings for the same going back two before WWI.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

ichthyo likes this.
  14. Browning 9 Guy

25 ACP needs the penetration (hence the shot pellet). Maybe the lips of the hollow point would expand a bit.

15. greg_r

The pellet is actually there to enhance expansion. The thought was to drive the pellet back into the bullet causing upset.

ichthyo likes this.
  16. Browning 9 Guy

Stevens once made a 25 rifle. A bit counterintuitive, but they made one. 25 was loaded to be optimized for short barrels.

17. greg_r

I intended to make a 25 acp rifle for small game back during the 22 long rifle drought. Had a .251 barrel liner so why not?

Never happened, it was easier to make a 30 Badger and components for the 25 we're about as existent as 22 long rifle.

I did a comparison between the 25 acp and the 22 long rifle out of a pocket pistol a while back, I think I posted it on this forum. The 25 ruled.

18. Zorba

Zorba "The Veiled Male" Member

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Browning 9 Guy and greg_r like this.
  19. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I have friend that has a series of dies that he hopes will size 25 ACP brass to .22 lr specs. That would give him a centerfire .22 that is reloadable. He is modifying a 22 rifle from rimfire to centerfire to shoot them in.