The real man's brass tumbler

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Super_Virgil, Feb 12, 2008.

1. screwylewie

screwylewie Guest

I built my own ratary tumbler, but i use a five gallon bucket with wet media. Comes out much better than any dry media ever could in a fraction of the time.

2. What's the process when using wet media?

3. good idea

I have an old cement mixer this is doable .

4. screwylewie

screwylewie Guest

primalseal, brass, water, couple drops anti-grease dish soap (dawn), and a squirt lemon juice. Rotary tumbler spinning at about 30 rev/min optimal. after an hour or so brass will look factory new. grungy range brass (brown/black grungy) will take up to 4 hours to look factory new.

5. What kind of media do you use when you tumble with the wet process.

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

i bulit one out of a five gallon bucket as well. powered it with a variable speed drill and a belt. that way i could vary the speed until it was just right. It held like 2500 9mm cases.

SW

7. screwylewie

screwylewie Guest

Primalseal, no media, just the water, couple drops dish soap, and squirt of lemon juice. I got sick of poking media out of my primer pockets when i used to use dry media and a vibratory tumbler.

Story:
    A good friend of mine came over one day and wanted to make a rotary tumbler. he wanted to make it to handle a big bucket (5 gallon). He figured on buying bearings, pulleys, having me machine a houseing, ect. . I told him we could make a tumbler in a half hour useing junk I had laying around. We are argumentative type friends so He bet me I could not. I won. I used an old washing machine motor and pulleys/belts. I had an old lexmard printer that was dead so i used the shafts out of it. add a couple scraps of wood/plywood and Done. Now bear in mind this was made in under 30 mins using as crude of materials as I could find . only tools were a hammer and drill. It was made to be quick and dirty. It has worked great for 3 years now. It sure is a hillbilly tumbler isn't it?

[​IMG]

8. :shock: :shock:

That is pure white trash genious!!!!!!!! I love it lol.... The fact of the matter is IT PLAIN WORKS!!!!

Great job!!!

9. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

I am mad now that I just got rid of my old muller cement mixer. I could have made one. A little overkill however.

10. Have a friend who loads on a Dillon super 1050 .His tumbler is a modifyed cement mixer that never saw a bag of cement.Yes it works great.

11. Whittey

Whittey Guest

12. Hey Stryker1, I have an old paint sprayer that doesn't work anymore, but the electric motor is in great shape. It's a 3 hp 110volt motor, do you think we could rig something up that'd work for large loads of brass?

13. Wow, awesome...wonder if I an old fridge has a compressor motor that'll work. Never tore into appliances before, but hell this might work. OOOO....wife is talking about getting a new washer and dryier...wonder if i could just convert thr washer over to a giant brass scrubber! The possibilities.

14. Jokey

Jokey Guest

How much brass do you guys process? 5000-9000 rounds a sorted load?

15. Probably shouldn't ask this BUT.Primal what kind is your sprayer.

16. HAHA

17. I dont see why not?? I can bring my welder back to texas with me..... I have alot of scrap metal in my garage too...... Should be easy enough.

18. Please be sure to document this all with photos, I GOTTA see how this turns out.