Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
February 04, 2009

Petzal: The Rules of Gunfighting

Normally, this blog is dedicated to peaceful pursuits. However, SFC Frick speaks much wisdom. I am giving him a meritorious promotion to Command Sergeant Major (E-9).

Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks Rules For A Gunfight

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap - funerals are expensive

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker and go to cover. Distance is your friend. (Bulletproof cover and diagonal or lateral movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a semi or full-automatic long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running. Yell "Fire!" Why "Fire"? Cops will come with the Fire Department, sirens often scare off the bad guys, or at least cause then to lose concentration and will.... and who is going to summon help if you yell "Intruder," "Glock" or "Winchester?"

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Stretch the rules. Always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work. "No battle plan ever survives 10 seconds past first contact with an enemy."

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible, but remember, sheetrock walls and the like stop nothing but your pulse when bullets tear through them.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees. Practice reloading one-handed and off-hand shooting. That's how you live if hit in your "good" side.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide NOW to always be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet if necessary, because they may want to kill you.

22. Be courteous to everyone, overly friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket." At a practice session, throw you gun into the mud, then make sure it still works. You can clean it later.

26. Practice shooting in the dark, with someone shouting at you, when out of breath, etc.

27. Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

28. The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Finally, Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.

1. Never be unarmed.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I LOVE IT!!!!!

Rules for unarmed combat:

1. Never be unarmed.

Truth is suprisingly easy at times isn't it?

·
Registered
974 Posts
February 04, 2009

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".
Too many negatives in there. Parsing out non-relevant words:
"Do not gunfight with a hand gun with a caliber that does not start with anything smaller than 4"
"Do not gunfight with something not smaller than 4."
Then take out the double negative:
"Gunfight with something smaller than 4."

Now that I've been snobby about the grammar I an move on to be pedantic about other things:
Is 9 smaller than 4? Is .357?

(I'm only being a crap about this because I've seen so many variations of this, and the only thing that remains constant is the macho-ism inherent in the 9mm vs 40 vs 45 debate)

Addendum: The Navy's Rules of Gunfighting
1. Go to Sea

2. Send the Marines

3. Drink Coffee

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rules of knife fighting.

1. Do not get into a knife fight.

2. If you have to be in a knife fight, bring a rocket-launcher.

3. If a rocket-launcher is unavailable, apply large-caliber bullets as needed.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This one is great. I just copy/pasted the "rules" for my kid. He's getting to play with all sorts of neat toys now!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
addenum for the army

when in a gunfight the enemy can see your tracers too.

A rifle is better than a pistol. a machine gun is better thana rifle. artillery is better than anythng else.

when in doubt empty your magazine.

freindly fire- isnt.

SW

·
Registered
438 Posts
Got these from a friend who joined the Corps once upon a time.

Response when taken under fire:
LAW ENFORCEMENT
-------------------
1) Shelter behind car
2) Call for backup
3) Locate source of fire

ARMY
------
1) Take cover
2) Locate source of fire
3) Call in artillery on source of fire

MARINES
---------
1) CHARGE!!!!!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Air Force:

Gas up a fighter jet, bomber or various other aircraft and send the commissioned officer in to annihilate the enemy and the surrounding area while you sit by the pool sipping an umbrella drink.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
While on topic...

* Incoming fire has right of way.
o If the enemy is in range then so are you.
* Don't look conspicuous - it draws fire.
o If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.
* When in doubt - empty your magazine.
o The easy way is always mined.
* Try to look unimportant- they may be low on ammo.
o Teamwork is essential - it gives them somebody else to shoot at.
* Never draw fire - it irritates everyone around you.
o Anything you do can get you shot, including doing nothing.
* Never share a weapon pit with someone braver than you.
o If your attack is going really well it's an ambush.
* No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.
o Remember, all your equipment including your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
* The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
o When you have secured the area don't forget to tell the enemy.
* Make it tough enough for the enemy to get in and you won't be able to get out.
o If you're short on anything but the enemy - you're in a combat zone.
* The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions -
o when you're ready and
+ when you're not.
* A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Retrosexual men drink beer or whiskey, not drinks with umbrellas in them. 8)
Yeah, under normal conditions. Howerver, if the only alcohol you can get a hold of is the kind that has umbrellas in it, you take what you can get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.