The Second Amendment: Liberal Edition

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by priell3, Jan 14, 2015.

1. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51clP7JRqv8[/ame]

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Would you like me to move it to the Funny section or to the Politics in the Darkrooms?

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I'd be curious to hear what the anti-gun crowd has to say about this video. It puts a lot of their assertions about the 2nd Amendment into a perspective that either calls into question their logic or forces them to admit that they don't truly respect The Constitution.

I just want to vomit every time I hear someone call it a living, breathing document. It is a firebreak, only. Amendments are only supposed to restrict government abuses or influence on individuals.

Any interpretations of amendments or suggestions for new ones that curtail freedoms run entirely contrary to the reason even to have a constitution.

4. Thanks for posting the vid. It's one of the best 2nd amendment ones I've seen. For one thing it talks of 1st half of the amendment in addition to the 2nd half.

Get rid of either part of the 2nd and the other part won't endure. That has been known for a long time.

SC Justice Joseph Story laments in 1842 how the militia has fallen into serious decline:

"And yet, though this truth would seem so clear, and the importance of a well regulated militia would seem so undeniable, it cannot be disguised, that among the American people there is a growing indifference to any system of militia discipline, and a strong disposition, from a sense of its burdens, to be rid of all regulations. How it is practicable to keep the people duly armed without some organization, it is difficult to see. There is certainly no small danger, that indifference may lead to disgust, and disgust to contempt; and thus gradually undermine all the protection intended by this clause of our National Bill of Rights."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015