The Tallbump tries not to Bubba his Mosin thread

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by tallbump, Jun 8, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

SO, today I put the synthetic stock back on the Mosin.

Going to head back to the range in a week or two and put some more lead down range.

I'd like to pick up a shooting rest/sand bags, or a bi pod.

I'd love to do a Josh Smith sight too, but that probably isn't happening.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Put a scope on it Tall.

3. moona11

Scope it !!!!!

Attached Files:

4. tallbump

Still might do that. What mount and optic are you using?

5. moona11

Some Amazon aim cheap stuff works well though

6. tallbump

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Ask MaryB. She is a guru on old commie bolt guns.

8. moona11

It works for me Tall. But there is always more expensive stuff out there.

9. tallbump

Well, we all know the more expensive stuff ain't happening LOL

I'd like to look into completely removing the rear sight, not just part of it.
    Like, remove the sight base too, not just the adjustable part. I know that's what Mary was talking about.

Looking for an optic too. Found a decent looking one with good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2ZUQ4C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1BYIVQA3LK6O9&coliid=I397IMVAAYOBU4

TacFire® Tactical 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scout Rifle / Pistol Scope w/Rings & Lens Covers

Magnification - 2X-7X
    Objective - 32 mm.
    Tube Diameter - 1 in.
    Eye Relief - 8.5 in.-10.5 in.
    Exit Pupil - 16-14.6 mm.

10. tallbump

Mods/Rach. Can someone split this up and start a new thread in the Curio and Relic zone, starting with post #26. Call it Tallbump's Mosin build or something. Thanks :D

Somehow, some way, if I have to sell some stuff or pic up odd jobs, I am going to turn this into a deer rifle.

11. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

The Tallbump tries not to Bubba his Mosin thread

Just for you buddy!!!

:jk:

(Seriously though, I can change it to something else if you want. I just couldn't resist.)

12. tallbump

Thanks Rach

The thread title works fine with me. I have no problem with others having fun at my expense, as long as they can take what they dish out. And I know you can :p

Heck, one of the forums I used to moderate than admis on, we woulc change people siggies, avatars, etc... all the time just to mess with them. Good times LOL

13. Rachgier

I did that once here, accidentally on purpose, and got fired.

14. tallbump

So, as far as the Mosin, right now, first issue is iron sights vs. scope. I am seriously considering trying the hunting fiber optic sight from Josh Smith sights. I figure it would be nice to support a form supporter/vendor.

And realistically, I shouldn't need a scope to hit a deer at the distances I'll probably get a shot at, maybe 50 yards. And considering the sights got for $45, I can't get a decent scope, mount, etc.. for that anyways, why not?

I SHOULD be able to scrape together that in a few weeks as I got a lucky break and am getting a free month of cell service (go T-Mobile).

Honestly, my biggest fear is screwing up the sight either removing the existing one or installing the new one

15. Rachgier

I wish I could find the link to the story but a guy recently "proved" the old ladder sights on I believe a K31 Swiss? Open sights at 2200 yards, 5 hits on a buffalo size/shape target.

I know, off topic, but it was a cool article.

16. moona11

I seen a video of a guy using open sites hitting a steel plate a 2000 yards on YouTube also

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Tall,
    First you'll need to find out if your gun is even accurate enough for a scope to be of any use.
    If it shoots Angle Of Barn at 100 yards just stick with the irons and maybe go for a hi-viz front sight from Joshua.
    If it shoots Angle Of Mouse then you can put a scope on it.
    Nothing more frustrating then putting money and effort into it and you still can't hit a barn at 100 yards.
    But watch the 1000 yard Mosin videos on YouTube.
    Inspirational to say the least.

18. tallbump

I will look for those vids.

I guess first thing I need to do is get back to the range and use a good stable rest and see how accurate it is like you said.

Maybe I'll use the extra $ to grab a decent rest and go from there.

I'd like to find one tat actually locks the rifle in place to take any operator error out of the picture. I will be the first to admit that I am not the most accurate shooter in the world, especially with iron sights

19. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Clip on bipods are cheap(-ish)
    I just bought two, one for the ARmalite and the other one will switch between the AK and the SKS.
    I'll see if I can dig up the website where I bought them but it's like $20-ish.

20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Tall if you have a small back pack stuff it with towels (or moles, but they wiggle around a lot) and use it for a rest. I have used my pack for a rifle rest and it has worked very well. As I already have it cost is not an issue.