The Taurus Raging Judge 28 Gauge Revolver

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by GunMonkey, Jan 20, 2011.

1. http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-taurus-raging-judge-28-gauge-revolver/

The Taurus Raging Judge 28 Gauge Revolver

When the Taurus Judge originally came out most observers in the firearms industry laughed. Taurus is a very serious company, and because of their quality, prices and a lifetime guarantee, they are a mainstay of most gun shops. But the idea of a giant revolver that was made for both .45 Colt and .410 shot shells just seemed a little over the top. It had been made before as a novelty product, but nobody thought that it could be a commercial success. Several years later we now know that this was not the truth. The Judge is a runaway success and has become the primary home defense weapon for tens of thousands of households all over the country. The comfort of .410 buckshot apparently outweighs the gun by several pounds.

Up another notch we go to the Raging Judge. It is 28 gauge, which you may never have heard of. Historically the 28 gauge shotgun has been an alternative to the .410 for hunting doves and quail. You will find it as a “hard to get” in the Browning line and most European high grades, generally commanding higher values than their .410, 20, 16 and 12 gauge counterparts. There is currently no such thing as 28 gauge buckshot, but Federal and at least one other manufacturer have it in the design and testing stages and it should be available this year.

Gauge is a measurement unlike anything else in the firearm world. It is an old style of measurement based on how many lead balls make up a pound. In this case, 28 solid lead balls of this size make up a pound of lead. For 28 guage, that equals a bore size of approximately .550, which would be 55 caliber. The standard Judge is .45 caliber.

The gun is a beast, what else can you say about it. But a beast isn’t a bad thing to have on your side in a gunfight if you can wield it comfortably and shoot it accurately. I suspect that the Raging Judge will be a commercial success and that we will see 28 gauge buckshot as a staple on the shelf in the local gun shops by this time next year. Taurus seems to be producing winner after winner after winner, and the Raging Judge may just be the next big thing.

2. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

dang! this will make 28 ga stuff even HARDER to find now.

SW

3. Do they make a 28g slug yet? If not how can this be considered a pistol?

4. I don't think so. I remember when .410 was damn near impossible to find, but now it's everywhere. I'm sure the ammo companies will step up.

5. That strikes me as an answer in search of a question. As long as I can still get #8 shot shells for Quail and Dove I don't care.

Ron M.

6. wade

wade Member

MT
    I want it about as much as I want a Judge... not at all.

7. Why wouldn't they just chamber it in 20 gauge, something reasonably easy to find?

8. +10000

9. Because you'd shoot your eye out... :D

10. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

I guess this thing has a rifled barrel, but it seems weird to make a 28 gauge. I guess Taurus is counting on selling enough of these to make ammo companies want to revive that mostly dead shell.

11. motorcity_madman

motorcity_madman Member

Cant wait for this ;P Thank god for layaway. Anyone know what the price will be?And also do ranges usually let you shoot pistols like the judge on the pistol range?Mine has a pistol range and shot gun range but the shotgun range only has trap and skeet..

12. Silicon Wolverine

28 gauge made a minor comeback after a few shotgun makers re-introduced 28 gauge guns due to the high cost and low payload of 410 shells. unfortunantly this made 28 gauge just as if not more expensive than 410! i had a NEF single in 28 but paying 30-40$ a box for shells i could only find in on eor two locations prompted me to sell. even reloading compoents are near impossible to find except at a couple specialty houses.

yes this will cause an increse in thier production, but just like 410 shells it will take a year or more for it to catch up to modern shell designs.

a 20 gauge would have been harder to design and produce, but it would have been an instant hit because you can get 20 gauge shells of all types just about anywhere.

SW

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Apparently the ATF has warned Taurus to hold off production pending some nebulous announcement they will make concerning shotguns this coming Monday.

Speculation about what that announcement will be is rife. However, the top contenders are:

• [li]Taurus' 28 Ga. shotgun pistol is verboten, [/li]
      [li]Siaga shotties have no "sporting purpose" due to their AK design heritage and "hi cap" removable magazines[/li]
      [li]Certain Chinese shotties with bayo lugs are now persona non grata[/li]

Personally, I hope it's the bayo lugs. I'd be pissed to see either Siaga or Taurus penalized because the ATF are, well, the ATF.

On a related note to the Raging Judge, I've always wanted a new manufacture Howda Gun but the only one I've ever found is a black powder affair. The Raging Judge is essentially exactly that and this gives me hope.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

Doesn't surprise me if the ATF rules the 28g judge a destructive device or AOW or something.

15. vick1000

vick1000 Member

FL
  16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm still trying to figure out how this will be legal.

28 Ga. is about .55 cal. (as has been pointed out several times) that means that, firing a single projectile, with rifling, it'd be a destructive device.

Or, without the rifling, it'd be a short barreled shotgun, which (ims) would require a tax stamp and special licensing.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Silicon Wolverine

taurus would need to obtain a special exemption for it to be legal. 12 gauge slug shotguns are regulaly made but they are of accepted sporting purpose. the 410 pistols get away with it because they are under 50 cal.

SW

18. Doyle

Doyle Member

I'd pass. At over 8 pounds, it's a little more than I want in a handgun.

19. vick1000

vick1000 Member

FL
    I don't think interested parties would be considering the weight. You don't buy a .500 magnum because it's light weight.

20. Silicon Wolverine