The things they say...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Visper, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Words are just that, words.
    Context give then meaning.
    Agreeing with one statement placed in a different context doesn't make her a Nazi sympathizer.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That's it?

That's nothing new, and I've seen the same sentiment echoed by Conservatives going back to the debate over the Patriot Act. I've even heard the sentiment echoed several times right here on HPFF.

Now, while it's stupid and I completely disagree with it, agreeing with the statement isn't exactly a stupidity which is exclusive to gun-grabbing morons and Liberals.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Visper

Swaga/Kirk,

I agree the words are words. Then keep them as words without bringing Joseph Goebbels into it. It just makes you look bad... That is more what I meant. Like most of the "twitter" people, they don't think before they hit "send".

5. SWAGA

What do you think of the following quote;

I for one agree with it.......

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I think it's trite and not necessarily true.

It takes a more mature person to "deal" with losing, but I wouldn't got so far as to say, "mighty."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Visper

Swaga,

My point, you didn't reference where the quote came from. Most people will look at the words and have their own take on it (as Kirk has - and by the way I agree - not saying you didn't know where it came from though) without dismissing it entirely solely based on where the quote came from.

8. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

So now we know Swaga likes Hitler quotes, and certainly everyone (as evidenced by Kirk and now myself) does not agree. Also, by the way, Swaga's recent imposition of his own "rule" of a substantiating link does not appear in the Forum Rules.

Note that I'm not attacking or flaming. I'm pointing out fact, plain and simple.

How many people here know Holocaust survivors? Have you ever had the opportunity to interview them? Read a book by one? The slippery slope is when people start accepting their views as good things. It starts with admiring one phrase, then on to two, and pretty soon it all breaks loose. Holocaust survivors will tell you this, and a whole lot more.

By the way, I would say that not everyone can deal with victory in a positive way. That's why there's the phrase "a sore loser" and even worse is an ungracious winner. Last I checked, every single dictator was victorious in squashing their opponents. They dealt with victory in one of the poorest ways possible.

This is the problem with interacting with life in sound bites. It removes critical thinking. Swaga - you're driving yourself WAY further to the left recently, and it's not a pretty picture.

9. Visper

So I guess to break it down - more for me...

If you want someone to take what your saying seriously, words and conversation are necessary to get your point across.

Referencing tyrants may not be the best way to accomplish this...

10. SWAGA

I posted a quote but did not state a claim, how does that apply?

And yes, it was a Hitler quote and I posted it exactly for that reason.

From the original post:

I'll finish with an other gem;

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2...d-be-very-proud-of-the-democrat-party/<br />/

11. Visper

Swaga,

I see your point by me saying "the worst part they believe it", it may have been a poor choice of wording... what I was trying to say here is they quoted Goebbels then defended quoting him.

This will not endear you to the public or aid you in any way with your cause.

The words by themselves are not the problem, its the source... and the context of the source if you look at history wasn't in the best interest of the people now was it?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  12. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

The problem with this is that there is a tendency to look at and depict Hitler as either a horrible monster, or as a clown. It discounts the fact he was a normal human being with horrible ideas, but in line with a lot of thoughts and beliefs of the era. The United States had its own eugenics programs long before the Nazis. If we look at the thoughts and beliefs that lead to the holocaust, then we are in a much better position to recognize and prevent something like that from ever happening again, rather than simply saying a monster did it.

13. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Slippery slope. He WAS a monster. Whether he started off that way or started off just in line with others is a matter of debate. He gassed people that there was absolutely nothing wrong with physically, millions of them. THAT is a monster, not a normal human being in any sense of the word. All of the "humane" killings that he ordered in the beginning quickly escalated to GENOCIDE, plain and simple, nothing more, nothing less. I don't support any of it, personally.

Remember - I'm Native American - and my ancestors got slaughtered, the same type of genocide that Hitler put out. My RECENT ancestors - grandmother, great-grandmother (who was full-blooded Blackfoot) - tried to pass as "white." Extermination of a people can take many forms. Be very careful when you do not deny, full out, genocidal atrocities. Just because I have blue eyes and freckles doesn't mean I don't have an American past.

And for the record, I support the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians and the Florida Seminoles and all the other sports team names. Navajo Nation President was at a recent Redskins game, wearing a Redskins cap. Proud of my dark skin and my heritage, even though most people think I'm "white."

14. SWAGA

Just for the record I don't "like" Hitler quotes.

15. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

The point is, you wouldn't recognize him as a monster at the time. He was Times man of the year for 1938, and Hendry Ford and Charles Lindbergh were big fans of his ideas. If we look for a monster instead of a human being capable of monsterous things, history will repeat itself. It's not enough to know what happened, but why.

16. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Who agrees with the lyrics of this song?

Bonus internet points of you can identify the political persuasion of the singer: