Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, after countless reviews from this site and others I have decided to get a hi point pistol. I have a springfield 9mm xd m sub compact andan AMT Backup .380 that I switch off carrying. So I really do not want a carry gun, I want a full size gun that I can target shoot with as well as a night stand gun. The problem is I just dont have 400 bucks to spend on a really nice full size gun so Hi Point fits the bill. Now I just have to figure out which one to get....

Here is what I have come to the conclusion with so far.
The .45 has an above average capacity as far as most 45 single stacked pistols so the advantage goes to the .45 on this one. But the .40 has cheaper ammo and is faster shooting caliber, also in my state I have seen more .40 ammo availble, pre and post ammo shortage... Another factor although from what Ive read on here the difference in recoil. Ive heard the 40 and 45 there is hardly a difference due to the slide being so thick and heavy but all the same id like to know. Im not afraid of the bigger caliber, ive shot 45 as well as .357 sig but all the same Id like to know what I am getting into.

Please tell me what yall think and if you have any other info youd like to share please do!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
My girlfriend who has never shot guns In her life went for the first time with me ever a few months ago, and out of all my guns she liked my wealther ppk .380 and the hi point .45 so I'm sure if a small girl can handle the .45 hi point you could to. I personaly went with .45 because its bigger and meaner IMO. Not trying to get into a debate on what cal is better but IMO .45 is the way to go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alright, after countless reviews from this site and others I have decided to get a hi point pistol. I have a springfield 9mm xd m sub compact andan AMT Backup .380 that I switch off carrying. So I really do not want a carry gun, I want a full size gun that I can target shoot with as well as a night stand gun. The problem is I just dont have 400 bucks to spend on a really nice full size gun so Hi Point fits the bill. Now I just have to figure out which one to get....

Here is what I have come to the conclusion with so far.
The .45 has an above average capacity as far as most 45 single stacked pistols so the advantage goes to the .45 on this one. But the .40 has cheaper ammo and is faster shooting caliber, also in my state I have seen more .40 ammo availble, pre and post ammo shortage... Another factor although from what Ive read on here the difference in recoil. Ive heard the 40 and 45 there is hardly a difference due to the slide being so thick and heavy but all the same id like to know. Im not afraid of the bigger caliber, ive shot 45 as well as .357 sig but all the same Id like to know what I am getting into.

Please tell me what yall think and if you have any other info youd like to share please do!!!!
Hipoint IS a really nice full size gun you can target shoot with. As far as recoil, no youre not going to feel much difference between the two. and this arguement among hipoint fans is as old as time: 40 vs 45. Some like the 40 for its extra capacity, others like the 45 for the slightly larger hole it leaves. Allow me to impart the pros and cons of each:

.40SW (Hipoint JCP)
PROS
Extra Capacity (more chances to hit your target)
Ammo is often cheaper
Higher Velocity (good for things like penetration)

CONS
Smaller diameter wound channel
Less energy
Not as time tested

.45ACP (Hipoint JHP)
PROS
Time tested and proven round
Larger diameter bullet (More bleeding when you hit the target)
Higher Energy delivered (often equated with "knockdown" power, though bleeding is mroe resposible for dropping targets)

CONS
Smaller capacity (fewer chances to hit target)
Lower Velocity (less penetration generally speaking)
Ammo is usually slightly more expensive.

Now it should be noted that of course both are +P rated so you can increase velocity and energy on both rounds (JHP's are NOT rated for .45super ammo!) Me personally I prefer the extra capacity of the .40 but I dont see anything wrong with the JHP either. The JHP does beat the 1911 on capcity, this is true, but its still less than the .40. The recoil is extremely light on both and I doubt youdehave any trouble handling either caliber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts