Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just keep looking for that wood and stainless Ruger Mini 30

Votes: 9 64.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting a Ruger Mini 30 to compliment my Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 for some time now. The rifle has proven to be unobtanium. Stopped at one of the LGS yesterday and stumbled on something that interests me.

it’s a Polish AKM. I am generally not a fan of the AK style rifles. Most notable because they are: 1, inaccurate. 2, they just do not fit me. I generally can not get my cheek down on the stock to even see through the sights. I certanially can not attest to the accuracy, but I can get to the sights on this one.

One thing that interests me was the 922r paperwork with the rifle. The rifle itself is made in Factory #11 in Radom Poland. It is de-milled and sent to the USA where it is fitted at their factory here with USA made parts. (TAPCO ??? Don’t know, just a guess) it is fitted with a FCG, polymer furniture, gas tube, compensator, gas piston, bolt, and bolt carrier. That meets the 10 out of 20 BATFE recognized parts standard. It is also shipped with a USA made magazine which brings the count up to 13 out of 20. Not sure if the barrel and trunions are replaced, but they might be, the factory says they are serialized to the rifle, if so there may be as many as 15 or 16 of the 20 recognized parts USA made. The bayonet lug is ground off, but it is shipped with the cleaning rod.

I watchesd some reviews on the rifle. They ranged from terrible (a foreign made video that made the remark that the 922r compliant rifles would be better because they had TAPCO triggers which did not have reset issues) to pretty good. The rifle generally has pertty bad reputation, (made me think of the way Hi Points are dissed) but the newer reviews, those within the past several years, are almost all positive. Maybe quality control has improved???

The rifle itself is relatively inexpensive, some $200 less than any other AK style sporter I have found. This would save enough of my budget to buy the Ruger 10/22 with the Magpul Backpacker stock I want. (Which the LGS has in stock) The same LGS had the Hi Point 4595 and JHP in stock too.

Think I will make this a poll, see if we can have some fun.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,225 Posts
I owned a Mini-30 during the late '80's through early '90's time period.

A friend introduced me to the Colt Delta Elite in 10mm.

I added some cash to the rifle.

We made a deal

Rerun

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I am a big fan of the 7.62 x 39 round. It is very common, hits pretty hard and is accurate enough with the right shooter and rifle to around and over 300 yards. If the reason you are getting the long gun is for targets less than 250 yards away you could probably customize it to your liking in my opinion. I vote that it is an okay buy but I have no experience with the AK type Polish rifles.

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
😁 😁 😁 😁 Send me $2500 and I'll send your FFL my Egyptian MAAHDI pre-ban AK with all the goodies, bayo lug, non-welded muzzle device, etc. It's the real McCoy but @Visper is too cheap to get mine
That would buy me two Ruger Mini 30’s!

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a big fan of the 7.62 x 39 round. It is very common, hits pretty hard and is accurate enough with the right shooter and rifle to around and over 300 yards. If the reason you are getting the long gun is for targets less than 250 yards away you could probably customize it to your liking in my opinion. I vote that it is an okay buy but I have no experience with the AK type Polish rifles.
I have the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. It literally shoots 1 hole groups at 100 yards. I have this thing about matching the American Ranch or Predator with an AR. I currently have 350 LGND, 450 BM, (finally getting around to building it) 300 BLK and 223. Let the 6.5 Grendel’s go. The 7.62x39 is (was) just sitting out there all by it’s lonesome.

I did buy the Radom AKM. Did what any respectable person would do. Took it straight to the farm and shot the remainder of the steel cased 7.62x39 that I had left over from my SKS days. About 400 rounds. Only problem I had was with the magazine. When I first tried to load the rifle, it just would not. Took 2 rounds out of the magazine and it worked fine. The last 4 or 5 rounds into the magazine were a real pain to load. Accuracy wise, it’s not the Ruger American Ranch, but it’s not bad. Kept a half dozen used up 1 pound propane bottles bouncing around at 25, 50, and 100 yards.

one thing, I ended up with a bruised shoulder at the end of the day. Strange, because I did not find the recoil objectionable at all.

And I also put a deposit on the Ruger 10/22 Backpacker.
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel

White Light Black Font Motor vehicle

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,398 Posts
I have the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. It literally shoots 1 hole groups at 100 yards. I have this thing about matching the American Ranch or Predator with an AR. I currently have 350 LGND, 450 BM, (finally getting around to building it) 300 BLK and 223. Let the 6.5 Grendel’s go. The 7.62x39 is (was) just sitting out there all by it’s lonesome.

I did buy the Radom AKM. Did what any respectable person would do. Took it straight to the farm and shot the remainder of the steel cased 7.62x39 that I had left over from my SKS days. About 400 rounds. Only problem I had was with the magazine. When I first tried to load the rifle, it just would not. Took 2 rounds out of the magazine and it worked fine. The last 4 or 5 rounds into the magazine were a real pain to load. Accuracy wise, it’s not the Ruger American Ranch, but it’s not bad. Kept a half dozen used up 1 pound propane bottles bouncing around at 25, 50, and 100 yards.

one thing, I ended up with a bruised shoulder at the end of the day. Strange, because I did not find the recoil objectionable at all.

And I also put a deposit on the Ruger 10/22 Backpacker.
View attachment 76146
View attachment 76145
View attachment 76144
I've never haad an issue with the AK and shoulder. Enfield beats me up though and left handed 50 cal BP rifles.

I got a M+M AK that is freaking awesome. Got a deal on it otherwise it would be to much to justify spending on it.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts
😁 😁 😁 😁 Send me $2500 and I'll send your FFL my Egyptian MAAHDI pre-ban AK with all the goodies, bayo lug, non-welded muzzle device, etc. It's the real McCoy but @Visper is too cheap to get mine
I bought a 20" RPK style Maadi... My gun room is getting crowded to have duplicates from each country... AK wise at least...

• Haha
Reactions: undeRGRound

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts
You're a Ruger guy. Keep looking.
I agree if Greg is a ruger guy - keep looking.

I like AK's so I went option #1 Polish AK and Ruger 10/22 best of both worlds!!! lol

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
@greg_r when you made the connection of Poland and Florida I couldn't come up with the name of my old one. It was IO Inter Ordnance. I'm not sure they are still in business.

My long monkey arms like the Magpul Zukov folding stock. It's extendable!

Just buy a AR47 upper!

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
All right so just keep looking for the Ruger. It's what you really want anyway. If you settle then you will always feel like you settled. You're at a point now that you should be getting the things you want. You've got the basic needs covered so just keep looking. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,937 Posts
I bought a 20" RPK style Maadi... My gun room is getting crowded to have duplicates from each country... AK wise at least...
Oooh Nice!
I'd love one of those in the stable, something 20" AK wise. Reaper took a little trip back to Maine before he moved back for good, while he was still living in my rental home. He got an AK Hunter, traditional rifle stock, 20" barrel. Cool looking gun! Barrel was in good shape, too. MAYBE I can find a picture

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts
Oooh Nice!
I'd love one of those in the stable, something 20" AK wise. Reaper took a little trip back to Maine before he moved back for good, while he was still living in my rental home. He got an AK Hunter, traditional rifle stock, 20" barrel. Cool looking gun! Barrel was in good shape, too. MAYBE I can find a picture
Here it is, not muted at all, has a threaded barrel even. No bayo-lug but the 20" variants don't. Wish it didnt have the thumbhole stock. I have a real Russian RPK wood set to put on it, along with my parts to make it 922r compliant... when I get to it.

Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

• Love

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The name of the plant if FL is the same as the plant in Poland
All right so just keep looking for the Ruger. It's what you really want anyway. If you settle then you will always feel like you settled. You're at a point now that you should be getting the things you want. You've got the basic needs covered so just keep looking. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
i will still get a Ruger Mini-something. I just will no longer be fixated on the 7.62x39. It will need to be stainless and wood though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The name of the plant if FL is the same as the plant in Poland

i will still get a Ruger Mini-something. I just will no longer be fixated on the 7.62x39. It will need to be stainless and wood though.
An old school Mini-14GB with the folder is always a great stainless and walnut option... I'm not sure what they're going for these days though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Been wanting a Ruger Mini 30 to compliment my Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 for some time now. The rifle has proven to be unobtanium. Stopped at one of the LGS yesterday and stumbled on something that interests me.

it’s a Polish AKM. I am generally not a fan of the AK style rifles. Most notable because they are: 1, inaccurate. 2, they just do not fit me. I generally can not get my cheek down on the stock to even see through the sights. I certanially can not attest to the accuracy, but I can get to the sights on this one.

One thing that interests me was the 922r paperwork with the rifle. The rifle itself is made in Factory #11 in Radom Poland. It is de-milled and sent to the USA where it is fitted at their factory here with USA made parts. (TAPCO ??? Don’t know, just a guess) it is fitted with a FCG, polymer furniture, gas tube, compensator, gas piston, bolt, and bolt carrier. That meets the 10 out of 20 BATFE recognized parts standard. It is also shipped with a USA made magazine which brings the count up to 13 out of 20. Not sure if the barrel and trunions are replaced, but they might be, the factory says they are serialized to the rifle, if so there may be as many as 15 or 16 of the 20 recognized parts USA made. The bayonet lug is ground off, but it is shipped with the cleaning rod.

I watchesd some reviews on the rifle. They ranged from terrible (a foreign made video that made the remark that the 922r compliant rifles would be better because they had TAPCO triggers which did not have reset issues) to pretty good. The rifle generally has pertty bad reputation, (made me think of the way Hi Points are dissed) but the newer reviews, those within the past several years, are almost all positive. Maybe quality control has improved???

The rifle itself is relatively inexpensive, some $200 less than any other AK style sporter I have found. This would save enough of my budget to buy the Ruger 10/22 with the Magpul Backpacker stock I want. (Which the LGS has in stock) The same LGS had the Hi Point 4595 and JHP in stock too.

Think I will make this a poll, see if we can have some fun.
I have a mini 30 that's lightly used, I shot a deer with it about 3 years ago and it's sat in the safe ever since I built my 300 H'amr, which is now my favorite hunting rifle. If you're still in the market, PM me. Maybe we can work something out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts