Thinking about a ATI 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by travis9mm, Feb 12, 2015.

1. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

So ive been wanting a 1911. Looked at a lot and believe ive found the one i want. Its an ATI FX45. 4.25" barrel. $500 at gander. Ive got a card through them. Anyone on here have or shoot one? Im very excited to get it. (Whenever that is) lol.

DISCLAIMER please don't come on here and tell me about Glocks, S&W, Kahr, Ruger, Taurus, yada yada yada. A $500ish 1911 is WHAT IM GETTING. lol thank you

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl...actical-Imports-FX45-1911-GI-Handgun&i=720784

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have a RIA GI model and really like it. Both the RIA and the AT I are based in the Philippines. The one you posted the link to has a better front sight, extended beavertail, and a commander hammer. Mine is 100% copy of what I was issued in the 1970' s except it has a flat mainspring housing.

I don't think the Gander Mountain price is too bad. They are usually proud of their stuff. It's about $80 more than I paid for mine, but if I were to change out the safety, hammer and front sight I would be right there.

3. 0311

0311 Member

My shooting partner has one. For an entry level 1911 it's pretty nice.
    Had to do a bit of polishing on the rails to get it to function properly. May take a few hundred rounds for it to "Break In". Run it WET for awhile.
    I have a Citadel in 9mm. About the same quality gun. Had some initial issues with it, had to send it back to the man. But it works flawlessly now.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm pretty sure your Handle prevents you from buying a .45ACP chambered handgun.

We'll get The Internet Police after you!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Have you considered a Glock?

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Lol...... And you wonder why people jump to conclusions!...... Dude, you're the man!.... ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1423758591.009933.jpg

7. cicpup

Vermont
    He asked for it.

8. Tyler-Durden77

Tyler-Durden77 Member

I have this one.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/americantacticalimports-45-gi-model8rdw-woodgrips
    The fit and finish on it is not nearly as good as on my Kimber or my Colt. The slide and frame don't quite line up and there were some sharp edges that I had to knock down, but I have absolutely zero complaints about the functionality of the weapon. I have run hundreds of rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. I have used cheap brass cased, cheaper aluminum cased and expensive hollow points and it eats all of it like a fat kid eats cake.

9. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thanks all! Very reassuring. Now my biggest complaint is the sights. How hard would it be to add better sights. Im tired of the regular blade type. Im no gunsmith but i am somewhat handy.

These are what id like. If anyone has a better or cheaper option please let me know. Ive tried the glow in the dark paint and ehh not super impressed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...atte-3-dot-tritium-green?cm_vc=ProductFinding

10. 0311

0311 Member

But that's the problem. You spend $500 for an entry level 1911, then you buy different sights, then a bunch of Wilson internals, grips, etc., etc. You end up paying more than if you just bought something like a Springfield loaded.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sounds plausible.

Can you do a cost breakdown of the base model + upgrades, vs a loaded Springfield?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

I dont care if by the time im done ive got $1000 in it. I just cant drop $1000 today

13. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

And i dont like the sirations on the front of the slide.

14. cicpup

Vermont
    Plus doing it this way, any upgrades you do are more personal.

15. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Staked sights are not hard to do. Pair of vice grips will remove the front sight. Use a dremel to help. You can get a staking tool reasonable from Brownells. Pad the grips on your bench vice with harness leather. And take your time.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That argument is well..nothing personal...but.......a little...condescending.
    We all want something nice and shiney and expensive, guess what, most of us can't afford it.
    And saving? Always something coming along the next day that requires us to empty our gun fund.
    People here buy $300 carbines and then trick it out for another $300 over the next six months.
    Does that mean they should have bought a $600 carbine to begin with?
    Of course it doesn't.

So you buy a $500 1911 clone and spend another $500 on it.
    So you could also have bought a $1000 gun.
    Yeah but its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

[​IMG]

17. cicpup

Vermont
    That's right. Much better to buy a $1000 gun. Then spend another $500 upgrading it.

18. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thanks for the kind words evryone. I didnt think my thought process was too crazy. Im thinking new sights or a crimson trace grip. Sights are more practical but a laser sure would be nice

19. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

You might want to check out the Rock Island TAC series. They have adjustable sights for about $500-600.

20. papataylor

papataylor Member

If it's not a Colt, it's a fake.