Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I've known several people with Tauruses and I've never heard of any of them living past 220k. This one may have had some work done to it, or it may be an especially good one or something, but personally I wouldn't go for it with it having 250k on it. That's a whole lot of miles...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I"m having a heck of a time finding something in my price range; I'd get a 2wd S-10 but it would do terrible in a Michigan winter.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
get a foreign made compact fwd car and be done with it... hyundai, kia, mitsubishi, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I agree with the majority, dont get it. Thats way too many miles and it will become a money pit. My fiances got one and it hit 180000, and guess what....it sits dead in our driveway. I jumped it only to have the spedometer kick out and the tranny shifts like its having a seizure. All sudden problems too. Its too bad we just spent 600 bucks getting wheel work done a few months back....stupid POS.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
I used to drive an 87 Dakota in the winter in michigan... as long as you have weight in the back it isn't too bad... least down near kalamazoo.. we get a huge amount of lake effect here.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
we don't get a ton of snow where I live in AR, but if you'll just deflate the tires by 10 lbs and shovel snow into the bed. works great with a 2x truck

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Man, you should be able to find a decent 4x4 truck for around the same price range if you look hard enough. Even something like a Toyota Tacoma or other light truck.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I agree with the majority, dont get it. Thats way too many miles and it will become a money pit. My fiances got one and it hit 180000, and guess what....it sits dead in our driveway. I jumped it only to have the spedometer kick out and the tranny shifts like its having a seizure. All sudden problems too. Its too bad we just spent 600 bucks getting wheel work done a few months back....stupid POS.
If the speedo quit and the tranny started acting up at the same time, that is most likely just a bad speedo sensor, they sit right next to the exhaust and the heat kills them. The transmission is shifted electronically by the computer, if it lacks a speedo signal it has no idea the car is moving and the shifting will be really bad as the computer uses engine RPM as a substitute estimate for how fast the car is moving. I work at a tranny shop, we get several a month for just this problem.

The problem for a DIYer is the placement. The later models relocated it to halfway down the tranny on top, you can reach it from the top once the airfilter plumbing is removed. The earlier models had it way out on the passenger end, behind the motor mount. That is the real Puppy Mother! I would have Autozone or someone with a scantool check your trouble codes, if the Vehicle Speed Sensor code shows up and there is no reading in the datastream you may have a relatively cheap fix to get it back on the road.

Most modern electronic trannys have similar problems with sensors. If your trans ever quits shifting properly, it's likely a relatively cheap sensor went bad. OTOH, if it slips that usually means it's toast. Or you have a leak and it ran dry. ;)

That said, when they do need overhauled the cost is usually around $1800 (we're cheap) at our shop, others charge upwards of $2K in the big city. Most shops won't even rebuild them, too many comebacks. They also have a problem with the torque converter stripping out the pump drive splines. Car just suddenly quits moving, game over until you get a new converter (that has the same weak splines) and a new pump shaft. Trans removal required of course, around $400+.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
my uncle owns a tranny shop.. problem is it's 3 hours away.. so if my tranny goes out.. I'm stuck having people I don't know work on my tranny.. Motorcycle transmissions are no problem.. I think car trannys work on magic..

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I used to drive an 87 Dakota in the winter in michigan... as long as you have weight in the back it isn't too bad... least down near kalamazoo.. we get a huge amount of lake effect here.
Really I used to do that with my s10's just add weight. If they have em at Lowes or Home Depot get 2 or 3 sand bags that should do the trick they are prefilled with sand and if you really need it cut one open with a sharp knife and use the sand to get out of slick spots. [cat litter in a small bag will work too on the icey area]

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
I'm actually selling my car, not much for looks, loud as hell because the cat was clogged and I had to bypass it, but its reliably sound, runs good, gets 20mpg, and is only $600. 92 Cutlass Ciera S

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
you can find some good deals like the one above. Cutlass and what not. Theyve lost thier value based soley on their outward appearance. They can be in good shape mechanically but their appeal is gone from other aspects. Id buy one for a beater in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked at a 1995 Pontiac grand prix today for 1,200 bucks its has 160k miles but the interior and exterior is in mint condition. I popped the hood and it leaks no fluids from what I can see tomorrow I"ll go back and take it for a spin! Anyone have any experience with this kind of car?

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
I looked at a 1995 Pontiac grand prix today for 1,200 bucks its has 160k miles but the interior and exterior is in mint condition. I popped the hood and it leaks no fluids from what I can see tomorrow I"ll go back and take it for a spin! Anyone have any experience with this kind of car?
My aunt and uncle had the same exact car for years and it ran really good, lasted until like 2003 or something when they traded it in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.