Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about a Hi-Point for a while now. (C9)
Have heard a lot of bad but read a lot of good things also.
Spoke to a dealer in a near by town and his comment about Hi-Point was that a lot of guys out there feel that if they don't spend a lot of money they aren't getting a good gun.
He also said that the quality has improved and he talked up the warranty.
I guess my question is, can I expect some jamming and other problems until its broke in?
I know that they aren't the prettiest out there but that's not what counts.
This dealers price on the C9 was $145.00, NIB.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think you can beat them for the price and the warranty is outstanding. My son has an XD that is a very nice gun but at a very nice price. I have had a few jambs after I changed ammo but I am getting that worked out. Many here have shot thousands of rounds without a problem. I don't think you can go wrong at that price. :welcome:

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
any gun requires breaking in. and yes it will probably jam and have a few problems during that break in. so did my 350$ walther and 700$ glock 10mm. buy it and have fun!

SW

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
You should definately get it man. HP's are addicting though. As SW stated, all guns have a break in period, and all guns are different. With a warranty and service like HP's you cant go wrong with it. C9s are great guns and most of us have one.

And, if it gives you any problems, just let us know and somebody will help you.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Get it!! I just got my C9 two weeks ago. 150 rounds with no issue. I did polish the feed ramp but I already put 20 or so Federal hollow points as well as 8 Hornady Critical defense rounds. The rest was jacketed round nose with no issue. More lead going down range today hopefully. Oh and the JHP .45 is great too! I have put about 900 rounds though that and it has had less than 5 fail to feeds but that was with Winchester white box hollow points.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say yes get it, if you do have any jamming or failure to fire issues they will promptly fix the problem and give you a free magazine for your trouble. The lifetime warranty is worth the price in my opinion.. Read my post on here for my own story about sending my C9 back to the factory...
Haymaker.... :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hell it's 150 bucks for a 9mm that can outshoot alot of guns 3 or 4 times it's price if you know what your doing, you can't go wrong. If you hate it when you get it I'm sure you'll be able to get your 150 back out of it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine jammed a couple times at first when I took her to the range and I sent it back to HP. They polished the feed ramp (which I could have done) and sent me a free mag, and extra lock and sight. Now that I have fired 1150 rounds with no problems and all different kinds of ammo, I suggest you polish the feed ramp(get the factory paint off it) and enjoy your gun...

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I have been thinking about a Hi-Point for a while now. (C9)
Have heard a lot of bad but read a lot of good things also.
Spoke to a dealer in a near by town and his comment about Hi-Point was that a lot of guys out there feel that if they don't spend a lot of money they aren't getting a good gun.
He also said that the quality has improved and he talked up the warranty.
I guess my question is, can I expect some jamming and other problems until its broke in?
I know that they aren't the prettiest out there but that's not what counts.
This dealers price on the C9 was $145.00, NIB.
Out of all 6 Hi Points I have, I have only had one jam and that was due to an improperly sized reload. Then the used C9 I bought was just completely worn out so I sent that back to "the mother ship" as they say to be repaired.

So, did you buy one?

·
Premium Member
36,056 Posts
I had real feed issues with my new C9 'til I cleaned up the feed ramp, and tweaked the mags by spreading the lips a little.
But my slightly older, bought used, C9 COMP, JCP and new JHP are all flawless. Bought new mags for the .40, and they were iffy, until I again spread the lips a little. Flawless again.

You simply can't go wrong with HP. If there is a problem (and there are many that are fine out of the gate, so that is a big IF) that you can't easily fix, the warranty is absolutely going to take care of you, and do it fast.
And that price is $20 less than I paid last year! :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
The HP line ups are good guns.
The C9 is a low price pistol that does very well at defensive ranges. You should know though that the C9 like all pistols have a required brake in period before you consider using it for defensive purposes.
As with all guns you should be sure to run what ever type of ammo you are thinking about using through it to be sure that it feeds, ejects and has zero magazine related issues. HPs have a typical 300 to 500 round brake in period and this should be followed.
If the pistol is not working smoothly after 500 rounds you may need to send it in to HP for work.
My C9 took 250 rounds to brake in and has been like a Swiss clock since.
You will probably want to pick up more magazines for your HP from your FFL or from the HP web sight. Try not to buy after market (ProMag) magazines as they do not work 99% of the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I came so close to buying a Hi Point C9 today, then as I was handling the gun, which feels very good in the hand I pulled the slide back and when I tried to return it nothing happened. It wouldn't go back. The dealer removed the mag and fiddled with it and he got it back. This happened twice. He said that was one of the issues with this gun. He did tell me that he hasn't had any complaints with the 9mm just the 40 and 45s. Well to make a long story short I decided to give it more thought.
Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
OK, I came so close to buying a Hi Point C9 today, then as I was handling the gun, which feels very good in the hand I pulled the slide back and when I tried to return it nothing happened. It wouldn't go back. The dealer removed the mag and fiddled with it and he got it back. This happened twice. He said that was one of the issues with this gun. He did tell me that he hasn't had any complaints with the 9mm just the 40 and 45s. Well to make a long story short I decided to give it more thought.
Has anyone else heard of this?
Yes that is normal operation with the last round hold open. Remove the mag and either put a full mag back in and pull the slide back a little and let it slide forward or just pull the empty mag and pull back.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
...He said that was one of the issues with this gun. ...Has anyone else heard of this?
Virtually, every handgun functions this way. I think he was just giving you a "hard time".

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Get the c-9 that's a good price! I guess you can expect some problems but you don;t always get what you expect!! Oh! :welcome: and have fun & be safe!

·
Premium Member
36,056 Posts
That dealer is an idiot, or a goofball trying to get you to pad his wallet by buying a more expensive gun. He had to fiddle with it? Sheesh...
Just buy the gun, they are great, accurate, and are guaranteed for life. If you ever decide to get rid of it, you won't lose much, if anything; and not nearly as much as you'd lose on a more expensive gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts