Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating picking up a High Point carbine but I need more info. I will be using it for plinking paper at 50 and 100 yards. Which High Point carbine is more accurate at those ranges the .40 or 9mm? What kind of groups can I expect to get? I really like the ATI stock but I only see one for the 9mm. Are there any stock options available for the .40?

If I buy a used one will the lifetime warranty still be valid?

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know nothing about the difference between 995 and 4095 in terms of accuracy, but 9mm ammo is cheaper. And the 995 is very accurate. The ATI stock is only available for 995. And yes, the Hi-Point warranty is still good even if you buy it used.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I suggest the 4095 if you can find one. Ammo prices are not as dramatically different as they used to be between the two.
there are no other stock options unless you're a DIY. Your warranty will always be valid. No question is dumb.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you're just going for a paper puncher, I really would get the 9mm. Agreed, not a huge price difference, but still cheaper and definitely more of a common round. It's plenty accurate at 50 yards and I'd highly suggest putting a nice red-dot scope on it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize this is a loaded question. What sort of groups should I expect to get at 50 yards. I mostly shoot with Ruger 1022 with a 4x 32 scope mounted on it and I will easily get 1 inch groups at 50 yards. Can I expect the same with the 9mm in a ATI stock with a similar scope?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
50 yds? One ragged hole :devilsidesmile:

The ATI stock will not change anything other than felt recoil to some.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have been debating picking up a High Point carbine but I need more info. I will be using it for plinking paper at 50 and 100 yards. Which High Point carbine is more accurate at those ranges the .40 or 9mm? What kind of groups can I expect to get? I really like the ATI stock but I only see one for the 9mm. Are there any stock options available for the .40?

If I buy a used one will the lifetime warranty still be valid?

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions.
Just spoke with the Hi Point people and they said sometime around Aug. or Sept. the 4595 will be out. She also said that it will have room for a lot of options, something about 3 clips.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 4095 is sweet. But so is the 995! Look at some ballistics chart online to see what 9mm and .40 are doing at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Based on what you plan to do with it, this may give you an idea of what to expect.

As for the 4595 coming in August....

In April, it was coming in May. Last December, it was coming January 2009. Get it? For some reason, HP has been pushing the .45 back for a long time. :'(

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just got a 995 about a month ago. Had been looking for one for about 6 months and finally had to order one from Gunbroker.

I can't find a 4095 to save my life. If you can find one, just buy it, and then resell it on Gunbroker for enough to buy 2 -995's and 2 ait stocks, and use them akimbo like a John Woo movie hero! Good luck with that.

When I got my 995 I left my LGS and drove directly to the shooting range. Purchased 50 rounds of Wolf 9mm and ran down the stairs so fast I almost tripped.

At 25 yards I was almost putting them through the same hole. I'm not a marksman, but the range max is only 25 yards and it is a very accurate little rifle right out of the box. I didn't adjust anything, and I didn't even support my arm, just shoulder width stance aim and squeeze.

The next magazine I did double taps. 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2. With that set up the group was still within 2.5 inches right around the center leading up and right.

The third magazine I slapped in, well as fast as I could slap it in, seems it hangs on some of the internal stock ribbing unless you hold it "just so".
Got it slapped in, jerked the bolt arm back and let it go and started to squeeze the trigger the very second it hit my shoulder. Seriously, fast and dirty I pulled the trigger and re-aquired as quickly as I could. It was pretty damn fast, but as you can imagine, a couple got really loose, but for the most part 6 rounds punched within 5 inches, and the the rest were pretty scattered.

The fourth magazine was a mix bag of double taps and trying to hit the blocking squares around the edges of the target that are there when the paper gets centered by the roll printers lol. They are VERY small squares and I was trying to snipe them even though the sight stud on the end of the barrel was completely blocking them. I was happy with the results though I never hit one of the blocking squares.

The fifth magazine was no holds barred, SHTF one arm commando "the zombies are at the door" shooting. I loaded it, cocked it, and fired one handed arm extended as fast as I could. I think maybe 4 hit the paper. The rest....not so much. But it was fun!!!

I've been very happy with this "junk gun" as I have been with all of the Hi-Points I own. The experience I have had with Hi-point has convinced me to ignore some of the gun snobbery I have been hearing about Kel-Tec. It is very easy to find a Kel-tec sub2000 in .40 and they take S&W Glock Sig and Beretta magazines in that caliber. Plus they fold up in half and take up half the bag space as my 995 would.
Again another ugly but innovative little firearm made for the working man.
I'm glad airline pilots and engineers and architects can afford $2000.00 for a military looking rifle that has more features and higher quality components than my first 2 cars had, but I can't. So luckily there are companies like Hi-point and others that make shooting and self defense practical and affordable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The 4095 is sweet. But so is the 995! Look at some ballistics chart online to see what 9mm and .40 are doing at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Based on what you plan to do with it, this may give you an idea of what to expect.

As for the 4595 coming in August....

In April, it was coming in May. Last December, it was coming January 2009. Get it? For some reason, HP has been pushing the .45 back for a long time. :'(
How it was explained to me, was that they were working out the bugs and wanted to make sure that the 4595 would not have any major problems when they sent to to the dealers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Back to the topic, I believe you would likely have better luck with the 9mm simply because the ammo and carbine availability in .40 cal! Meaning, I still have not even seen a 4095 available for purchase and 9mm ammo is scarce but not nearly as bad as .40 ammo.
This may be just my area...but something to consider.
Just my .02!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your help. I guess I will try to find the 9mm and pickup the ATI stock. If I can't find one maybe the infamous 45 will be out by then. Although I'm sure they will be a bit more expensive due the new furniture it looks like it will have.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You`ll be pleasantly surprised with the 995. Just got mine a couple of weeks ago, matter of fact, it was my first HP purchase. You can always add to the family.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You`ll be pleasantly surprised with the 995. Just got mine a couple of weeks ago, matter of fact, it was my first HP purchase. You can always add to the family.
+1 my 995 is my first HP but the 4595 is on the list next! :devilsidesmile: You'll love your 995 !

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my 995 about a month ago and it is now my favorite gun! It eats all the ammo i put through it and it does it accurately. I do have the ATI stock and I love the way it makes it look and feel; although I recently saw a carbine with its factory furniture painted in a desert camo color and it is making me think of replacing the factory stock. Take the plunge you wont be dissapointed.

P.S. Dont forget to the bushmans parts as soon as he has more made. They really improve the look and function of the gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a 995 for a couple months now. Love it! Super accurate, and no probs. While I prefer a larger caliber for self/home defense, I would not dismiss 9x19 entirely, think MP-40/Sterling subguns in WWII, MP-5 with the Brit SAS /US Spec Ops...., just have to be realistic on capability/performance of 9x19

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
You can't go wrong with either carbine; I really enjoy both of mine! I feel bad for ya having to search, in my area, I see the 995 almost every time I go shopping, even saw one at Cabela's yesterday! Prices range from $150 used to $250+ new, though Cabela's was $199 new.
Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts