Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran up on a super nice Thompson Center single shot pistol chambered in 45.70 and it's screamin my name.
Anyone shoot these before and how is the boom factor? (he has a decent amount of ammo as well for it) I'm basically wanting it to have fun but I can hunt deer with it..which I plan on. As new condition with a nice holster..low $400 range.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
for 400$ you can have a NEF handi rifle in the same caliber, with about 175$ left over for ammo (thats what i did). T/C are nice, but thier big caliber pistols can beat you up pretty bad. if youre hurting, it isnt a good time.

SW

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I had a 45/70 barrel for mine and sold it. It is not pleasant to shoot and working up a milder load can be as dangerous as working up a hot load. Too much space and too little powder at times can produce a dangerous situation. Factory ammo has a horrible muzzle blast and lacks accuracy so you are basically forced to hand load. Its last shooting session left the front stock laying on the sandbag and that was with a reduced recoil load. I sold it the next chance i got.

I loved all the other calibers i had though. 30-30 is fantastic and reasonable recoil (hand loads). 357MAX was sweet and you could also shoot 38sp and 357mag too. 45LC is close to 44mag levels, you can safely load them fairly hot in a T/C or Ruger Blackhawk with caution. The 45/70 was just a bit of an over kill and im not that recoil shy. It simply wasnt fun.

I agree with SW, If you want a 45/70 there are better choices and several are cheaper. NEF and CVA both offer a sub $300 carbine. CVA also offers 2 different single shot carbines/rifles with interchangeable Bergara barrels starting at just under $400. You can even get blackpowder barrels ;) The Bergara barrels are even cheaper than the T/C and very good quality.

The T/C is awesome quality but i would get a different barrel fast. You should be able to get a good trade value if its like new. Is this a G2 or original? The early originals would also accept carbine barrels/stocks although that might be illegal. The G2 has a slightly stronger action i think. Its a good price for a T/C so in the long run you might find its a pistol that a blast to shoot if like hand loading.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I just bought a H&R Buffalo Classic for low $300.00's and it is an awesome rifle for the price. The stock is a little proud where it meets the case hardened receiver, but the wood is nice and checkered as well. It does have a kick to it with some of the factory loads i have tried so far, but nothing to cry about. It would be brutal in a handgun, and no fun in my opinion. The trigger on my rifle after some serious drenching with Hoppe's #9 is just over 5lbs, but i have found a gunsmith that will do his magic on it for $80.00. I am having it reworked to be in the 3 1/2 lb range.
Right on the money out of the box at 25 yards, a little adjusting to get it right at 50yards and it is a little low at 100 still, but getting there. Best groups at 100 are just over 1 1/2" freestanding with factory loads, Federal being the best so far.
Overall, a fun gun to shoot, and being a single shot, ammo lasts a bit longer than a lever gun does.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the feedback..I think I will be picking it up next payday and maybe order a couple of barrels as well. I know it's gonna be a bear to shoot as it is, but, I like the ideal of being able to change calibers with it. (don't forget the FUN factor OC'ing the cannon a time or two..heh)
Thanks again for the input.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
A better choice for hunting is a 35 Remington barrel, The recoil is more manageable and at past 75 yards you get more energy and less drop that a factory 45/70 load. For plain old BOOM you can't beat the 45/70 just watch out if you plan to scope it. I've seen a couple of good cuts to the fore head from a non ported scoped 45/70 contender. Get a 10 inch 22lr barrel and put a 2-7 scope on it. You will have a superb target and small game pistol.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
35 Rem is pretty cool but the 357Rem Max will pretty much equal it and you can shoot 38/357 also. I did like the 35Rem better for accuracy though with handloads and/or heavier bullets. Factory ammo had the same problem as the 30-30...lots of muzzle flash. Once you handload though both are sweet.

I always wanted a Contender 14" barrel in 7.62x39 and with the correct bore diameter as a cheap target option. Cheap steel import should be "ok" and close enough to 30-30 performance.

BTW Congrats. I love the Contender and Encore line. Very very well made and highly addictive if you like to tinker with handloads or just get a nice boost from most pistol calibers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have had my 45-70 marlin for 8 years now, and the round is just short of awesome. I use hand loads, and it is very accurate with them. Just dont expect to take it out on the plains, and have it do 250+ yards. it's got its' knockdown, but it has the long range trajectory of a rainbow.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again..thanks for the info, i'm taking notes btw, but I am leaning more toward the boom factor when hitting "the" range with the others that attend the Ohio meets..just like shooting the Mosins on a pistol range..it was just for fun and the boom factor.
As far as getting a deer with it..as a 45.70..I hunt meat and don't plan on reaching any farther than maybe 40 yds or so with open sights. I don't plan on scoping it. (after getting a couple of barrels I might scope it up) My small game weapon is just my 10/22 Bullpup with a 3-9x40 on top..it does a fine job..Once sighted in I stopped taking targets to the range and just use spent 12g casing as targets. Head shots for all small game. (50-60 yrds or so)
Once I get the 45.70 I'll shoot it and try to get a paper plate at 50 yrds..should be just fine for some deer meat after i'm used to the kick. (I did say "some" deer meat..not sure what kinda damage the round does)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Stick to the 300gr HP factory load for deer. The 400gr load will make a blood shot mess out of the off side of your deer. The 300gr HP does about the same damage as a 44Mag 260gr HP load.

Ron M.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roger that Ron..will keep that in mind, and on paper, when I pick up the meat rds. Thank you sir.

theqbn..heh..based on the above feedback..you'll really like firing off the 45.70..heck..the rds are as big as the 7.62x54 almost. Pretty intimadating ammo to be shot from a pistol. Here's something that'll make alot here kringe..I do have a Mosin M44 that i'd be willing to have some..ummm..work done to so we can see what a pistol in the 7.62x54 would be like.
(before anyone trashes me for this reply..the M44 cannot be restored as the barrel has been cut already and had a suppressor put on it..I bought it that way) I could see an 18 1/2 barrelled pistol gripped Mosin heh.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Roger that Ron..will keep that in mind, and on paper, when I pick up the meat rds. Thank you sir.

theqbn..heh..based on the above feedback..you'll really like firing off the 45.70..heck..the rds are as big as the 7.62x54 almost. Pretty intimadating ammo to be shot from a pistol. Here's something that'll make alot here kringe..I do have a Mosin M44 that i'd be willing to have some..ummm..work done to so we can see what a pistol in the 7.62x54 would be like.
(before anyone trashes me for this reply..the M44 cannot be restored as the barrel has been cut already and had a suppressor put on it..I bought it that way) I could see an 18 1/2 barrelled pistol gripped Mosin heh.
Read up on Obrez pistols they were common enough in Russia to have itsown name.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I ran up on a super nice Thompson Center single shot pistol chambered in 45.70 and it's screamin my name.
Anyone shoot these before and how is the boom factor? (he has a decent amount of ammo as well for it) I'm basically wanting it to have fun but I can hunt deer with it..which I plan on. As new condition with a nice holster..low $400 range.
You'd have to "hold a gun to my head" to make me want to shoot a handgun chambered in 45/70 govt. I had a Marlin Guidegun in 45/70 and really liked it; short range supreme knockdown power in a dandy leveraction with surprisingly manageable recoil.

·
Registered
295 Posts
A better choice for hunting is a 35 Remington barrel, The recoil is more manageable and at past 75 yards you get more energy and less drop that a factory 45/70 load. For plain old BOOM you can't beat the 45/70 just watch out if you plan to scope it. I've seen a couple of good cuts to the fore head from a non ported scoped 45/70 contender. Get a 10 inch 22lr barrel and put a 2-7 scope on it. You will have a superb target and small game pistol.

Ron M.
Thats so funny you should mention that, I have 1 1/2 lift on my scope so I can still use the irons. My dad went to use them at the range maybe 7 years ago now, got to close trying to look though the irons, and the scope nailed him right between the eyes! left a nice clean cut, about an inch long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts