Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever built an ar from scratch? Where do you get your components from? Just looking for someone with black rifle wisdom.

Do i go with .223 or 5.56?
i am thinking of going with collapsible stock, But no sure on barrel or optics or carry handle.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I built a lower from a Rock River kit. I'd say it wasn't worth the effort, You can get a complete lower for under $300 if you shop around. I paid $225 for the kit and spent at least 40 hours trying to get it right. I had a bunch of minor fitting issues and it didn't function 100% until I got some advice at a local gun shop.

I'd say getting a basic upper and modifying it to your specs is the best way to go. I did this with my 6.8 upper. I removed the front sight and put a on flat top gas block. Changed the hand guards to add a lower rail and that gave my exactly what I wanted.

Ron M.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
No, I haven't done it yet, but like many am likewise thinking of starting an AR project from scratch. My preliminary thoughts thus far . . . .

It's either going to be the cheapest AR I can build, or the most unique. Guess I'll go for the latter . .

1. Start with the stripped lower. If you're not picky about fancy names and such, you should be able to pick one up for under $100, although I am going with a multi caliber type for reasons explained below. That's the only part that must go through an FFL. Or, if you're real ambitious you can pick up a raw forging sans FFL and do your own machining. Tactical Innovations has some . . um . . "paperweights" . . that you can buy for $30 or so.

2. From here on it's up to your personal preferences. You can get a complete 16" rifle kit in 223/5.56 from Del-Ton (sans stripped lower) for $485. But if you want uniqueness, you can try Model 1 Sales which has numerous kits with numerous options from $485+ for a basic 16" or 20" kit: XM177 style carbines (11.5" barrel + 5.5" flash hider) for $520+; 18.5" SPR kits for $570+; and so on.

My take is that since the AR is modular platform, once the lower is complete you have your basic gun. All you need from there on out is an upper or two or three, and you can start with a 223/5.56 upper then go with a 6.5 or a 7.62x39 for your next upper, then maybe a .50 caliber for your next upper, then maybe a .410 upper for your next, then . . . . . .

If I have the time and money, I'll look into having my lower and upper anodized in blue or forest green. Of course if I do that then all subsequent upper additions would have to match!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
has anyone ever built an ar from scratch? Where do you get your components from? Just looking for someone with black rifle wisdom.

Do i go with .223 or 5.56?
i am thinking of going with collapsible stock, But no sure on barrel or optics or carry handle.
5.56 chambers 5.56 and .223, .223 chambers only .223, due to 5.56 being higher pressure.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Definitely go for a 5.56 chambered barrel or a wylde chamber (Rock River) for compatibilty with both 5.56 and 223.

+1 on bushmaster for the price.

But it's hard to pick one brand since there are nearly unlimited choices. Like being a kid in a candy store. Most of my personal non Colt AR's were a Frankenstein monster of many manufacturer's parts. Plus different colors of black prior to being re-coated.

Liked my Rock River NM A4. But it was off the shelf and ready to go. Everything had tight tolerances with no slop anywhere. Heavy due to the weights but perfectly balanced. Two stage trigger wasn't bad but not the best. Shot real tight groups with Federal GMM ammo.

Walt

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
5.56 Chamber. I opt for Rock River??? AR15.com has too much info to read on builds like this. There is ALOT of knoledge over there. Some members are cool some are not on there forums...

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
RRA is good but spendy for what you get. i did alot of research and for me bushy was teh best bang for your buck if you want something of above average quality. if you just want a blaster, get one of CMMGs franken ARs for 500-600 and run.

SW

·
Registered
799 Posts
RRA is good but spendy for what you get. i did alot of research and for me bushy was teh best bang for your buck if you want something of above average quality. if you just want a blaster, get one of CMMGs franken ARs for 500-600 and run.

SW
Yeah I saw the CMMG bargain bin was up and running again awsome deal on those rifles.
linky http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=161&

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
im partial to bushmaster. a little more money, but you get what you pay for.

SW
When I was comparing the AR-15 Colt with the equivalent Bushmaster about 15 years ago, the fit and finish of the Bushy so surpassed the Colt, I could not believe it. And the Bushy was less expensive. I had the feeling the extra money was only for the Colt logo.

Now, all the ARFcomers just bash the Bushy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I found a guy online who was having a hardtime getting rid of his AR15, so he made two different auctions on Auctionarms.com 1 for the upper, 1 for the lower.. I bought his complete lower... then a few months later bought a CMMG upper. Took a while ( had an unfinished gun sitting in my safe for a while) but Its nice, light and worth the effort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts