thinking of my next AR build

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Apr 6, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Been thinking of doing this for sometime now but build a MK12 rifle . Basically it's an AR with a 20" barrel with 1/7 twist and only use the 77 grain Sierra OTM . The lower receiver is upgraded with an aftermarket two stage trigger with 3.5lbs pull and either a fixed M2 stock or collapsible . The upper has a full length key mod rail and a Harris bipod

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Technically, you want the Mk12 Mod 1.

It's an 18" 1:7 stainless match-grade heavy barrel with a standard M4/16 lower with a KAC 2-stage trigger, and a flat top upper with KAC match free-floating rail adapter system.

It's purpose built to fire the 77gr Mk 262 cartridges by Nosler and Sierra with either the HPBT or OTM projectile.

3. USMC_VET

Yep that's it !!

4. Rachgier

I have a thing for military DMR's. lol

5. papataylor

papataylor Member

My brother doing an MK12 mod 0 build on a pre-ban pwa lower. Man the buggers are expensive!!

6. USMC_VET

Just found a Daniel Defense MK12 for just under $2k:eek:

7. Rachgier

That's not too damn bad. I bet you could build it cheaper. Put those gun bunny skills you brag about to work. :p

8. 45Man

45Man Member

9. papataylor

papataylor Member

Even the used marked is stupid expensive! The PRI free float and that silly rail are like $300 used on ARF.com. We got a used muzzle brake for $65 which was a good deal and used KAC 30mm rings for $100.

10. 45Man

45Man Member

Don't really understand the need for a 550 yd sub-MOA .223.
    If you really want long range accuracy, get a .308.

11. Rachgier

The line between need and want in the world of firearms is very often fuzzy and as straight as a Pennsyltucky road map.

I have a .308 for anything outside of 200yds; pistols, shotguns, and a 4095 for anything inside 75yds, and an AR to cover everything else in between and overlap where necessary.

EDIT: Also, the Mk12 was a designated marksman rifle, or intermediary sniper rifle, that anyone could field accurately without specialized training and share ammo with the standard primary weapon issued to just about everyone in the combat zone.

12. USMC_VET

Was originally designed for SOCOM units !!

13. Rachgier

It was also an updated version of the SR-25 and gave operators the ability to have an additional option for a suppressed rifle with a bit more ability for AT&T.

14. papataylor

papataylor Member

Since you guys are on the MK12 kick - we're meeting a guy next week sometimes to swap out built upper for a PRI MK12mod0 upper minus suppressor collar and scope.

15. BlueHeelInsert

BlueHeelInsert Member

I have found that, if you like the mk 12 clones, anything you build that is not an exact replica, will leave you wanting more. Its a sickness, these mk 12's.