Thinking of selling some 7x54

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Mar 30, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

So, thanks to Kfox and that awesome trade I got, I have a lot ( to me) of 7.62x54 now.

I grabbed that plastic Plano ammo can from Field & Stream using my rewards points and filled it with loose surplus silvertip stuff. I counted tonight, there are 336 rounds in there.

Besides that, I have over 300 rounds of surplus, a lot of it already in strippers, plus 40 rounds of soft point I'll u for hunting.

As most of you know, I recently bought myself a new ride, the Blazer. You all also know my kids are my life.

My youngest is 3 and of course needs to ride in a car seat. She is always wanting to ride in dad's new "truck" insisting that she get a camo one (man, I love that kid). It's actually one of the cheaper ones out there and is a good seat. (My wife is a car seat safety fanatic and she approves). It goes for about $45 from WalMart.com

While that's not a lot of money, we are already sing up for our other daughter's school year for next year, so we really have to crank up the savings. So, it seems logical to get rid of something 't use for some time (I only shoot a few times a year) to get something good for my family.

I have been advised that this ammo is getting hard to come by and I should hold off on selling.

So, what say you?????

And, if I sell, how much should I ask? Again, it's silver tip, corrosive surplus. I'll sell it in the can.

I'm thinking $75???? For local pick up.

[​IMG]

2. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Here in Southern Missouri it is plentiful but the cheapest price locally is 40 cents a round plus tax. $75 is cheap and you should sell it easily for that. Good luck !!!

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :D
    Good Kid! Camo Baby Seat ;)

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    No 7.62x54 chambers in my safe, or I'd snag that!
    I'd need a Dragunovich Autoloader to go with that, or a VEPR :D
    (whatever it's called LOL!!! :D) :dance:

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Keep the ammo.....
    You can sell it now only to have to buy it again later.
    Keep it and you won't have to buy for the next 5-10 years at the rate you shoot.

6. tallbump

The only problem with that, SWAGA, is I need the Car Seat now. I don't need the ammo.

I will need ammo eventually, and it may be harder to find then. But I want this car seat ASAP and this seems like a reasonable sacrifice.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Family is more important.

Sell the ammo, make your kid happy. That smile is worth every last damn round in that case and then some.

And I promise it'll work out so that you have the ammo you want in the end. When they ask you what you want for Christmas, say, "ammo." Trust me, you'll get ammo for Christmas.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Looks like brass in the photo. Is it reloadable? That might make it worth a tad more.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Of it's reload able brass it can't be surplus silver tip right?

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I think that it is something with the way the cases are primed more than the cases themselves. I'm not a Mossin guy and i know very little about them but i do know that surplus ammo is surplus which means its gonna dry up or may be banned from import.

I wouldn't sell it myself but i do understand that the safety of your little girl comes first.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Technically, it's all reloadable. But Berdan cases are more difficult and Berdan primers are apparently harder to get. In the U.S., most home reloaders want Boxer primed shells.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

12. tallbump

Really don't know.

All I know is I have over six hundred rounds and I need a car seat.

I know I typically only shoot 100 rounds in a year of cheaper caliber, like 9mm or and maybe 200 of .22.

Realistically, I probably won't shot more than 50 per year od the 7.62x54. That may be a high estimate.

13. tallbump

Well, I listed it. We'll see if I get any takers

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Tallbump,

Put your ammo back away and save it. PM me your address and I'll order the seat you want from Walmart and have it shipped to you. As a LEO I had to pull too many kids out of cars that were not in car seats. I'll see to it that your daughter has a car seat.

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Good man Flash I was just going to do it myself

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The old bi metal you can reload. You pull the primers drill a new flash hole swag in some copper tubing and use regular rifle primers. I did a thousand rds it sucks but works. Mid load and you can use them 4 or 5 times. Did I say it sucks.

17. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

I was going to offer too. Do you need more than one?

18. tallbump

Wow, you folks rock!!!!

No, Evil, I don't need more than one, but thanks

We have a really nice (you don't want to know what we paid for it) one in my wife's car. The wife's car is the daily driver and family car that my daughter rides in most days.

I don't mind having an expensive seat in my wife's car because
    A- she rides in that thing 7 days per and
    B- it's really really important to my wife and it's really all she wanted with our tax return money.
    Kinda hard to argue with that.

The one in my car will be for just a quick run to the store or something. Sometimes I like to give mom a break and take the girls with me to run an errand. But we only have the one car seat. And, as I mentioned, my wife is a car sear safety fanatic, so I really don't like taking it out and putting it in because it turns into quite the ordeal. And sometimes my daughter wants to ride in dad's "truck", which has been affectionately (?) dubbed the Redneckmobile

But, I'd prefer to have my own in my car that I can put in once, put it in right, and be done. And the camo will be awesome, especially since that is the one my daughter wants. I told her today that I was trying to get the money to get it and she got all excited. I asked again what color and she said the green (man, I love that kid LOL)

Flash, since my wife is so big on safety, I have heard and read and watched videos of terrible tragedies from kids not being properly secured. I have also heard of great stories of kids surviving horrendous virtually unharmed because they were secured.

My daughter just turned 3 1/2 this month and we just turned her to front facing. apparently, it's best to keep them front facing until at least age 2, but the longer the better. Especially to reduce the chance of internal decapitation. Scary stuff!!!!

My wife even has a sticker on her car that says "Face the Rear Beyond One Year"

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Steel case copper washed that is why it looks like brass. Corrosive berdan primer.

You guys have the car seat covered otherwise I could auction a cleaning mat if needed.