Thinking of upgrading my carry gun.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by MalcolmStone, Feb 14, 2008.

Which would you choose?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact

100.0%
  2. Firestorm Mini

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Taurus 745

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. EAA Witness P-Carry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Okay, so I currently carry a Kel Tec P-11, sometimes with the factory 10+1 sometimes with the S&W 15+1. Both ways are fairly easy to conceal with the right clothing. I'm 6'0" and weigh 162 pounds.

I'm thinking of upgrading my carry weapon to a .45 'cause it's a bigger round and has more stopping power. I really like my P-11 but I think I want a .45 again (I used to carry an AMT Backup in .45 years ago).

I've narrowed my choices down to four: Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact, Firestorm Mini (made by Bersa of course), Taurus 745, or the EAA Witness P-Carry.

My fiance currently has a Bersa .380 and it's a fine weapon and I had a Taurus 24/7, so I'm familiar with both of those companies, but I've never owned a Firestorm or an EAA.

Just looking for opinions, both good and bad, concerning any of these guns. I'm leaning towards the Witness at this point. It's mag holds one additional round but it does appear bigger than the others. My local gun stores do not have any of these guns in stock so I can't compare them side by side and would most likely end up purchasing through the internet, either Gunbroker.com or Budsgunshop.com.

I like double-action weapons, so I'm not considering compact 1911 style guns (Para, Kimber, etc.), the Sig P220 Compact Carry is just too costly, and I'm not a fan of the S&W auto guns.

So let me know if you have any experience with any of these guns and let me know what you think.

Tom

2. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

3. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

4. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Since you like the P220, Maybe you should look into a Sig P225/G6 which have started to flood the market from Europe. A Sig for under $300.00 with 2 mags, cleaning kit and mag pouch is a great deal. Someone just picked one up from the forum. Search the posts for their review.

5. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

I'm not necessarily a fan of the P220, I was just mentioning it to rule it out before anyone recommended it.

Plus, the P225/G6 is a 9mm...which I already have and am looking to move away from for carry consideration.

Thanks anyway.

Tom

6. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

7. Ari

Ari Guest

Take a look at this one.. The EAA are mainly designed by CZ.. You might like the CZ . Sub compact I really think the fit and finish is really nice on CZ's weapons

[​IMG]

8. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

The CZ doesn't come in .45ACP.

9. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

I voted for the Taurus just because that is what I am going to get.

10. Ari

Ari Guest

11. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Actually none of the one's I'm looking at are high cap. More like 6+1 to 8+1.

I like the looks of that CZ but if they don't come in .45, they're out.

I got to hold one of the Taurus 745's yesterday and it felt nice. The shop I went to only had the stainless slide version and want $400. I asked if they'd come down any and the guy told me they'd come down $25. Thanks but no thanks. I can get it from Buds for $319 shipped, so after $15-25 transfer fee, it'd still be cheaper.

Of course, I'd like to still like to feel one of the Bersa's in my hand, but I imagine that it's not too much different from the 383a.

I've just about ruled out the Witness, as it lacks a decocker and is not DAO.

So, we'll see.

Tom

12. The EAA witness doesn't have a decocker but it is a DA/SA gun. When firing it, its in SA mode (hammer cocks back with the slide action) but you can leave it decocked with a round in the chamber and then if needed, pull the gun out and shoot and the first trigger pull will be DA mode.

I went though what you were looking for and that is the gun I settled on.

The only other gun I found that had the decocker/45acp/compact frame/DA/SA/non-striker was the Astra A100 in 45 but those are long out of production and hard to find (parts availablitly would worry me too).

13. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Well, I found a local shop that can order the Bersa's for $329, but they don't have any currently in stock...and the distributor is out of stock too.

I'd really like to have one in hand to see how it feels first, but I may go ahead and order one anyway.

I'm really excited about the Bersa's now, having read some more reviews. Just wonder how long I'd have to wait before they could get one in.

Tom

14. I need to check that out, I really like the looks of it and will need to research it a bit.

How much?

15. Ari

Ari Guest

I am thinking they are like $475 ish

16. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

The Witness IS hi-cap. Though I guess it doesn't matter now.

17. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

You know, I just realized that I listed the P-Carry instead of the P-Compact, so you're right.

If I'd been a bit more observant, I'd have realized my mistake and listed it as the P-Compact which is an 8+1 and is not, in fact, a high cap.

But the point is moot as I'm going to be getting the Bersa, probably a month from now. So there's a month to post any bad comments about the Bersa to alter my decision.

Thank you guys for all the help thus far.

Tom