Thinking out loud....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Jan 27, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Never have I had the disposable income to buy high end firearms. Always bought entry level guns, my only obsession was collecting H&R /N.E.F. Handi rifles. Lately I have started a thread about cowboy guns, and have been looking around for one since about the first of the year. Handled a couple of Henry rifles and have been very impressed with the quality.

This has got me to thinking about selling off or trading my Handi Rifle collection to fund just a few Henry or Marlin lever actions. I could see my collection being a Henry Small Game Rifle in 22 long rifle, and the Henry Steel in 357, 30/30 and 45/70.

I have Handi Rifles in 22lr, 22 Hornet, 223, 243, 280, 300 blk, 30-30, 308, 30/06, 35 Whelen, and 45/70. I would probably trade all but the 223, 280, and 300blk.

I started doing the same thing last year with handguns, traded off 4 and replaced them with 2. Kind of like mowing the grass, I could have several Wal Mart specials or just one John Deere, they both cut grass, you just feel better cutting it on the John Deere.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    That is kind of how I approached it, at first I bought 2 each (over time)
    of the C9, JCP and JHP and now I am down to 1 JHP... still have all 3
    of my carbines, for now. Wanting another 4595, might sell/trade the
    995 to finance the deal. Sounds like a NICE Handi-Rifle collection, I'd
    think long and hard before splitting that up, but you have chosen
    well in what you would keep, IMO.

3. greg_r

The ones I would keep are what I use the most that do not have a replacement in the lever guns. Well the 300 blk could probably be replaced with the 357, but I really like the blackout. I will miss the Hornet, but I honestly have not shot it since I got the 223.
    Handi Rifles are selling for a bit more now since they stopped making them, didn't really see that happening but guess I was wrong. Still
    BTW, I will not be replacing either of my HI Points. If my wife doesn't shoot the 380 again, I might just turn it back into a C9!

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'm just saying it is so easy to sell off something and then be
    sorry later. At least I can get another HP pistol any time... :D

5. greg_r

Yeah, I'm thinking about that too. They ain't making them anymore!

6. With all the gun you have.....:(Sounds like you have much more "disposable income" than I do.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

John Deere are JUNK!
    Once you go Kubota, you will NEVER go back!!!

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I have the Henry Golden Boy in 22 WMR and love it. I scratched the barrel just behind the rear sight working with a POS scope and haven't forgiven the wife for it since. :rolleyes:They are in fact great lever guns.;)

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    I have the Henry H001T 20" octagon barrel,
    very sweeet shooter! Holds 2 dozen 22s and
    those are really getting it out of a 20" barrel!
    Nearly all the available 22s his "HV" meaning
    1030 to 1080 fps but I am uncertain as to the
    test barrel length. They hit HARD under 50 yards!

It's my version of the TZBB, Cowboy Style! :D

I strongly recommend a lever gun, but find a gate loader
    if you can. Those tube loaders are a lot slower, with extra steps too.
    Plus, you can top off a gate loader any time you please! :D :dance:

10. greg_r

I didn't pay much over $200 for any of them and acquired them over a long period of time. Lot easier to come up with that than to save for a more expensive one. Believe me, I fully understand the fallacy of that!

11. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

I'm a Handi-Rifle fan. They are sleek, simple, accurate and lefty friendly.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'd like to step up to a Ruger #1 sometime too.... But dang they're proud of em!

13. greg_r

Wish I would of bought up some Ruger No. 3's when they were available. :mad:

14. greg_r

They are. I wish I would have gotten the Buffalo classic and also the carbine in 45 Colt. The 7.62x39 came and went before I had a chance to snatch one up.

I also have the Sidekick in 50 cal and the Pardner single shots in all but 28 and 10 gauge. I just found a 28, but the gun shop that has it is proud of it. Has it listed at $219 and will not budge.

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    I foresee lots of swearing and rock kicking in your future if you break up this handi-rifle collection... :D Just Sayin'!

16. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

I have shot a #1 before. It was smooth and accurate, but it wasn't anything special IMHO.

Take that with a grain of salt , I was younger when I shot it and didn't have any firearms of my own yet

17. nitrous_bob

nitrous_bob lazy city worker Member

If your thinking about it..... You've probably made up your mind.
    I say do it !
    I did this with mags years ago and happy I did. Too many malfunctions with cheap Korean stuff (KCI) lol
    As well as some other cheaper made stuff. Do I need it ? Probably not. But I decided I'd rather have 10 high quality military issue mags instead of 30 promags or tapcos (I'm referring specifically to AK mags here)
    I'm a big fan of having a rifle or carbine chambered the same as a sidearm. Even better if the mags are interchangeable, and I know your referring to levers and revolvers and this doesn't even apply but the point is..... When your hobby steers you in a direction, your mind is forcing you to do what you ALREADY decided a while ago

Probably made zero sense lol.... But I say do it