Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at this article while searching for a DVD called concealed carry on google and came across this article from USCCA. Maybe you can share it with others and I will now carry more often.

all credit and quotes go to Mark A. Walters and USCCA.
http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/189.cfm?sd=45
"The Ordinary Guy" - The Importance of Carrying Your Gun 100% of the Time
Mark Walters

The decision to carry a concealed firearm for protection is a very personal one. It was for me. It is a decision that puts you within a split second of the ability to take a life or disfigure another human being for the remainder of theirs. It is a decision that requires you to make profound changes in the way you conduct yourself while going about your daily routine if armed, and forces you to act more responsibly than you may be capable of. It is one of, if not the most important decision you will ever make during your lifetime. To exercise this uniquely American right, the right to keep and bear arms… requires you to make an unbridled commitment to carry your firearm with you everywhere you go, every single day.

Several years ago while driving down the road one Friday evening; I had a gun flashed at me while stopped in traffic. I had honked my horn at the car ahead of me for failing to move through a green light. I realized then that I deserved to be shot for being so foolish as to expect someone to move forward at a green light however everything turned out OK. It was at that exact moment that I made the decision to go the extra step and obtain a concealed carry license. I was fortunate that this incident did not lead to further violence as I was unarmed and most likely wouldn’t be here writing this article.

After receiving my permit I became a fervent supporter of the right to concealed carry and practicing as much as possible with my firearms became a passion. I took “one on one†personal tactical training and became a NRA Certified Instructor in three disciplines and although I had my permit and trained regularly, I still found myself carrying only when it was convenient…and comfortable. For example, I found myself leaving my gun behind when I went to get the car washed or to a movie with my wife. These places were right down the street from my house in a very nice area of town. I was certainly safe in my own neighborhood, right? I would soon find out just how wrong I really was and how lucky I was to be armed one particular morning.

Shortly after the birth of my first child while en route to work at 6:30 am, I found myself witness to an attempted carjacking directly in front of my vehicle while stopped at a traffic signal. When the two criminals were unable to get into the automobile in front of mine, they immediately turned their attention towards me. Within a split second, I was forced to make a life and death decision. I chose life…my own. From under my shirt in an inside the waistband holster, I retrieved a Glock 36 and leveled it at the man bent on violently attacking my person in an attempt to take my car or worse, the barrel resting against my windshield. It was at this point that I realized just how valuable my training would become.

As my gun rested upon the steering wheel, business end flush against the windshield and held firmly in my grasp, everything I had been taught began to explode in my mind. My first thought was “watch his hands, not his eyesâ€, after which I began thinking about what or who was behind this dirtball in the event I had to fire my weapon. Would I permanently lose my hearing from the explosion of my gun while firing inside the enclosed car? Where was his partner? Would my rounds continue in the intended direction after exiting my windshield? Watch his hands…watch his hands…. WATCH HIS HANDS! This encounter had ended peacefully but I had become a statistic. I became one of the estimated 2.5 million times a gun is used in self defense, in particular, one of the 90% of that 2.5 million who never had to fire a shot. The mere site of my firearm pointed directly at his chest was enough to stop the encounter in its tracks. The two individuals retreated to their car (probably not theirs to begin with) and escaped into traffic. But something more important had happened that morning… Myself and those around me went home safe that day. My beautiful daughter Lindsey, now 2 years old (and her new baby brother Ryan) still have their father, the lone woman in that car in front of me wasn’t harmed, and any other potential victims of these two scumbags were spared, at least at that particular event.

The reason this situation ended peacefully was because someone was armed. If I had not had my weapon strapped to my body that morning two weeks before Thanksgiving, something terrible would likely have occurred. Someone may have been killed and that someone would have been me. My daughter would be fatherless, my son never born, and my wife a widow.

A person more knowledgeable than myself who had been the victim of a violent armed assault and kidnapping once told me, “Never leave home without it, don’t get gas at the familiar station down the road, don’t go grocery shopping at the local market, don’t walk to the store to get your newspaper without your firearmâ€. You must never take your safety for granted, as it is the one time, the ONE time you don’t have it with you that will be the one time you let your guard down. It will be that one time that you become a victim…. And you may never get a second chance.
[/url]

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I guess that would mean no more shopping at Walmart since you can't carry in there.
Only going to the Dive-thru to do your banking.
There's lots of places that you can't take your firearm into but your still going to have to go to court to fight that ticket(or whatever).
You will have to get permission in order to bring it onto school grounds to pick up your child or attend a PTA meeting.
Your Pastor/Priest will have to give you permission in order to carry in church.

I agree that you should carry it whenever possible since you never know when the situation will arise & you are going to need it.

I hate the idea of having to leave it locked in your car but I'd still like to go to the beach & you can't exactly carry in swim trunks :oops:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I guess that depends where you live capt, I carry in Walmart all the time, I carry in my bank all the time, in fact last time I went to the bank, I was open carrying. I don't get tickets, at least not since I was a teenager, and if I did, I would probably just pay it by mail. I can carry on school grounds to pick up my kid as long as I don't get out of the car and I can carry in a church as long as it doesn't have a school or day care in the building. Of course there are some places I cant carry and still choose to go, but not many. I do have to bring home a paycheck and there are no weapons allowed on the property, YET :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
1knight - thanks for sharing. I joined that newsletter a while ago, and that fellow has some great info there.

I carry in Walmart here and honestly I wouldn't go in the place if I couldn't.

·
Registered
663 Posts
1. I guess that would mean no more shopping at Walmart since you can't carry in there.
2. Only going to the Dive-thru to do your banking.
3. There's lots of places that you can't take your firearm into but your still going to have to go to court to fight that ticket(or whatever).
1. Depends on where you live. None of the Wal-Marts in my area are posted. So I carry there all the time.
2. In Missouri it is legal for CCW holders to carry in banks, so we do. Most banks don't have armed security any more so it works well that a criminal never knows if there is a CCW in the bank that might pop a cap if they try to pull any thing.
3. Again depends on where you live. In MO, if you carry some place that is posted and you are found out. It is not a crime. If the shop owner asks you to leave then you should. If you don't and they call the police then the story changes, Piece disturbance and you lose your CCW for a year or so.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also wouldn't go to walmart unless I was carrying and I no longer allow my mother to go to walmart without me since I seen the documentry on walmart and the crimes that happen in their parking lots

·
Registered
435 Posts
How many times have we all read or watched the news about violent crime(s) suddenly happening in small quiet towns? What's the first thing the interviewed townsfolk alway say? "I NEVER THOUGHT IT COULD HAPPEN HERE".....

Yet, the anti's would have you believe that owning a gun is paranoid behavior and not necessary.
I know a guy that works in a place that forbids weapons onsite. The location is very remote, fenced in, and access is only permitted thru a guard shack. Yet he still keeps his sidearm locked in his car onsite (big corporate policy no no) because you just never know. He'd rather be alive for his family instead of becoming another statistic in a place that "no one ever thought it could happen".

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Tennessee is fairly pro-gun.
If the property does not have the proper Tennessee Code Annotated (T.C.A.) on their no guns sign, then you can legally carry onto premises, also if the sign isn't at eye level. However, if the owner asks you to leave, you'd better, or else it's trespassing.
You can carry onto a property that sells alcohol for off-premise consumption, and they are working on making it legal for on-premise consumption, as long as you don't consume.
You can carry into a bank, they are only federally insured, they are not federal employees.
you can take your gun onto school property as long as it remains in the car and no one touches it.
Places you can't carry: Anywhere that state or federal employees are employed; state or federal parks; places selling alcohol for on-premise consumption; anywhere a sign is conspicuously placed that includes the proper T.C.A.; onto any school campus whether private, state owned, or higher education; I think there are more but I'm too tired to remember them right now.

BTW, I CC everywhere I go, much to the chagrin of the little misses. If we go someplace that is illegal then I lock in the glove box or trunk. The movie theaters here have the little universal "no" sign with a gun in the middle, which by law is not valid signage, I carry into my church, bank, Wal-mart, Target, you name it, I've probably CC'ed there.

·
Administrator
28,721 Posts
Ping to the top for interesting article.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts