This is a tough photo

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Ari, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Ari

Ari Guest

I work at a school and one of the history teachers and I was trying to figure out where this might be and what year it might be. I was looking at the machine gun the guy on the right has and trying to figure out what weapon that might be. I am thinking it is a MP18 what do you guys think.

[​IMG]

2. That looks like something I saw from 1939, the Warsaw Ghettos. Just from what it looks like to me...

My Grandmother had 5 brothers that all fought in major conflicts... The oldest ones in WWI, WWII, and Korea and the youngest in 'Nam.... That reminds me of some pictures Uncle Ralph had from WWII...

3. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

my mother was born in germany in 1928, she was the youngest of 11 children. There were 8 boys and all fought in WW2, 2 were SS, talk about pictures. Used to visit them when I was younger, George the oldest, even let me hold his mp-40.

4. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

1943, Warsaw Ghetto.
    HOWEVER.
    The little boy's name is Zvi Nussbaum, He was being deported from the Warsaw Ghetto in this picture. He was then deloused at Treblinka, and he is now living in New York City.

On May 28, 1982 the New York Times quoted Dr Tsvi C Nussbaum, a physician living in Rockland County in upstate New York, USA, as claiming to be the then seven-year old youngster. He recalled that there had been persistent rumors that the Nazis were planning to exchange Jews for German citizens living abroad. Nussbaum and other Warsaw Jews thereupon emerged from their hiding places and surrendered to the Nazis. Their names were indeed, he said, put on a "Palestine list", and he was sent to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Germany, from which he was liberated by British troops in 1945. He spent the next eight years in what became the state of Israel, and emigrated to New York as a doctor in 1953. "I remember there was a soldier in front of me," he told the newspaper, recalling the picture, "and he ordered me to raise my hands." After his uncle intervened, he was allowed to rejoin his family.
    The discovery that the boy was not liquidated, as had been popularly believed, caused outrage and consternation among holocaust scholars who were convinced, said the New York Times, that "the symbolic power of the picture would be diminished were the boy shown to have survived." These historians had long considered the picture "a sort of sacred document," added the newspaper. Dr Lucjan Dobroszycki, of New York's well-known Yivo Institute of European Jewish History, echoed this, proclaiming that this picture of "the most dramatic event of the holocaust" required "a greater level of responsibility from historians than amost any other." "It is too holy," he added, to let people do with it what they want." Nussbaum was shocked at this unexpected reaction to his survival: "I never realized that everyone puts the entire weight of six million Jews on this photograph," he said. "To me it looked like an incident in which I was involved -- and that was it."

http://www.fpp.co.uk/History/General/WarsawGhetto/WarsawPic1.html

Take that to your teacher Ari...

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

On another note:

Tough photo? For a staged pic that the media used to gain the attention of the sheeple people?? For a cheap propaganda plot??? For more hate in the war that was based on a man's hate for the said religion???? The soldier probably took this picture just to sell it to the scholars and historians later for big $. But for your words "tough picture" Psh, not even close. The tough pictures i have seen are the babies, and very thin people piled on top of each other in a big pit. Those sir, are tough pics, but alas, the photo you have is nothing more than Illusion.

:lol: Ari, you know what this post is all about. :)

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Great finds! Thanks guys

7. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Guest

Could be an MP-28.

8. The_Duke335

The_Duke335 Member

its an Erma EMP you can tell by the magizine

9. Ari

Ari Guest

The Mp-18, 28, 35 all use side mags

10. The_Duke335

The_Duke335 Member

the Barrel shourd also gives it away it is flat on the muzzel with no barrel sticking out the Mp-18 seiris had the barrel sticking out about 1" from the shoruod