Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 dogs. One that I have had almost 3 years has to go. She is pit and lab mix. She is a sweet heart yet almost killed my 6yo yellow lab mix today. She is dangerous to dogs in the neighborhood if she gets out. I know of no way to fix the problem except to have her put down. She wouldn't stop fighting, she didn't respond to me whacking her with a stick. I wasn't about to put any part of my body in there at all.

She's really sweet in many ways but that behavior cannot continue. I don't know of any alternative other than have her put to sleep. I'm not going to have her teeth removed as some have done.

I'm at my wit's end. It really breaks my heart. I guess a vet will do it? I hope so.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
The vet we go does put down dogs that are aggressive. Your dog could have a tumor in the brain. Or just a mean streak. It sucks to do it but your in the best position to determine if the dog needs to be put down. We did it to one awhile back. I used to put them down myself but E won't let me do it anymore. Thank god.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have done it myself if she didn't stop.

They haven't tangled in 2+ years. She's not people agressive.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Have you thought of professional intervention from someone along the lines of a dog psychologist? She may very well be salvageable.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Have you thought of professional intervention from someone along the lines of a dog psychologist? She may very well be salvageable.
I won't spend the money. I was brought up that an aggressive animal gets put down. If you dont tell it to and it gets mean you put it down. My grandfather had no time for that shit. And me I love my animals but they are just that a pet I can eat if needed. They are not human, not a family member. Food..
And I get pissed at the people with their animals running loose in the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I agree with Moon on this one. An aggressive animal should get put down.

If you do not put that dog down it may kill or severely injure another animal and then you will likely be on the hook for medical bills or replacing someone else's animal. If it getting loose from your property that should not be happening either.

Stinks that it needs to be this way. I love my dogs and have an idea of how you feel.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I agree with Moon on this one. An aggressive animal should get put down.

If you do not put that dog down it may kill or severely injure another animal and then you will likely be on the hook for medical bills or replacing someone else's animal. If it getting loose from your property that should not be happening either.

Stinks that it needs to be this way. I love my dogs and have an idea of how you feel.
It sucks but its not safe to leave the dog alone with other animals. And if it won't stop on command its scary. Ive been using a shook collar on our one dog outside. She is overprotective of the yard. A little zap usually stops her barking and redirects her. If she is full retard I turn it up and she stops that shit instantly.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
It sucks but its not safe to leave the dog alone with other animals. And if it won't stop on command its scary. Ive been using a shook collar on our one dog outside. She is overprotective of the yard. A little zap usually stops her barking and redirects her. If she is full retard I turn it up and she stops that shit instantly.
Wish I could have done that with some of my students over the years - or sent them to Paris Island for 18 weeks

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Her anger over rode her obedience. She got out a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to let another one out. Got to the neighbor's yard and started picking fights with their dogs. I respect my neighbors and don't want any problems. Taking time off work isn't in the schedule. I've never had a dog do this kind of stupid crap (one killed cats, nobody cared!)

If I was out in the middle of nowhere she would have been gone already. I'm with Moonzie.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Her anger over rode her obedience. She got out a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to let another one out. Got to the neighbor's yard and started picking fights with their dogs. I respect my neighbors and don't want any problems. Taking time off work isn't in the schedule. I've never had a dog do this kind of stupid crap (one killed cats, nobody cared!)

If I was out in the middle of nowhere she would have been gone already. I'm with Moonzie.
It still sucks. Sorry man.

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
You are making me think of Inmate @TNTRAILERTRASH . You have met him. He is much the same. Great people dog, not so great around other animals. Course he is trained to catch hogs, guess that doesn’t help any. He is the only dog I have left and I need to do something with him. I keep thinking I just need to take him to the pound.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are making me think of Inmate @TNTRAILERTRASH . You have met him. He is much the same. Great people dog, not so great around other animals. Course he is trained to catch hogs, guess that doesn’t help any. He is the only dog I have left and I need to do something with him. I keep thinking I just need to take him to the pound.
Inmate is how old now? Taking mine to the pound would be dishonest, and just putting off the inevitable. She would be turning 4 in December.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
Inmate is how old now? Taking mine to the pound would be dishonest, and just putting off the inevitable. She would be turning 4 in December.
I guess Inmate is what? 7 or 8 years old? He is showing some gray around the muzzle now.

Taking him to the pound would be a death sentence as they would euthanize him. Its my job, but I just can not bring myself to do it. I am the only one here that can somewhat control him, and with my FUBAR leg, I have some trouble as he can pretty easily pull me off my feet. He is a very powerful dog. He listens well, until he sets eyes on a target, then he is one track.

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I guess Inmate is what? 7 or 8 years old? He is showing some gray around the muzzle now.

Taking him to the pound would be a death sentence as they would euthanize him. Its my job, but I just can not bring myself to do it. I am the only one here that can somewhat control him, and with my FUBAR leg, I have some trouble as he can pretty easily pull me off my feet. He is a very powerful dog. He listens well, until he sets eyes on a target, then he is one track.
Its tough doing it yourself. If you can't put them down yourself you shouldn't have one. Thats what I was taught. Ive had to do numerous times over the years. But man I hate it. Like I said the wife would not let me the last 2 times. She didn't want me to have to deal with it or other stuff coming back up. I hate someone else doing it but I'm thankful it wasn't me

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
Its tough doing it yourself. If you can't put them down yourself you shouldn't have one. Thats what I was taught. Ive had to do numerous times over the years. But man I hate it. Like I said the wife would not let me the last 2 times. She didn't want me to have to deal with it or other stuff coming back up. I hate someone else doing it but I'm thankful it wasn't me
I just have a special soft heart for this dog. I could put it down myself, just don’t want too. At this point I am not going to have to, but I feel like it’s coming.

The last one I had to put down, due to it being sick, I took to the vet and let him do it. It wasn’t any easier than doing it yourself.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just have a special soft heart for this dog. I could put it down myself, just don’t want too. At this point I am not going to have to, but I feel like it’s coming.

The last one I had to put down, due to it being sick, I took to the vet and let him do it. It wasn’t any easier than doing it yourself.
Over there years I have had to have 3 put down at the vet. One was my mother's. She was pretty pitiful here hips had given out on her.

I would put this one down myself. Being I have a parolee across the street and who knows what his son is into I'm not pulling out a gun. I could take her in the back yard and use a .22 short. It's safer to go to the vet.

They will go peacefully at the vet.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Kudos to you, we know it’s a HARD decision.

Where and when I grew up, there was zero tolerance for aggressive dogs (and cats). Even out in the country on land/farms my relatives had, if they went after livestock, people or dogs, they would be put down. Coyotes, cats, raccoons, etc were fair game.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This whole fight started over a Milkbone. They all got one. The blonde takes her time setting up her treat for crunching. Pepper tried to steal it.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
This whole fight started over a Milkbone. They all got one. The blonde takes her time setting up her treat for crunching. Pepper tried to steal it.
Thats not tolerated at all. Mine started to do that. They don't anymore. The asshole got zapped every time till she learned.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts