Thought you guys might like to read this

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Pistol, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Pistol

Pistol Member

Hi-Point Firearms is owned by Thomas Deeb. Deeb makes inexpensive handguns so everyone - particularly the poor - can afford one for protection or recreation. "Say a guy goes fishing and wants to carry a gun in his tackle box. You don't want to put a $700 Glock in a tackle box," says Deeb. "I didn't have a lot of money growing up to buy firearms, and I wanted working people to be able to afford a weapon without having to take out a mortgage on their house. Poor people need protection more than other people."

Deeb knows the low price tag on his guns may attract criminals, too. "The dope dealers and gang bangers don't like to spend a lot of money on weapons," Deeb said. "They tend to throw them away." Because of that, Deeb designs his guns to make them easily identifiable through ballistics testing and a second, hidden serial number. He also provides trigger locks, and stopped making a chrome-plated handgun that appealed to the criminal element. "Money isn't everything in life. I feel I bear some responsibility, and that's why I do everything possible to catch the bad guys," he said.

When Deeb learned that a Hi-Point rifle was used in the shooting at Columbine in 1999, he closed his factory for a day and considered leaving the gun business. "I was just sick over it," he said. "I thought about quitting, but then I thought I'm not going to be defeated by evil."

Hi-Point owner Thomas Deeb was a television repairman before becoming a firearms manufacturer. He was raised in Wabash, Indiana, one of six children, son of a barber. He bought his first handgun, a Ruger, at the age of 17. Soon afterward he dropped out of high school and joined the Air Force, serving during the Vietnam War. After his military service, he opened a television repair service center and video rental store. After spending a couple of years designing the handguns and rifles he wanted to mass produce, he opened his Hi-Point factory near Mansfield, Ohio in 1992.

The thirty employees in the Hi-Point factory earn $11 an hour plus health benefits, and are proud of their products. Hi-Point firearms has produced nearly a million weapons since 1992, and is now the fourth-largest handgun maker in the country. "Real, hard-working guns for real, hard-working people," said Mark Weber, 35, a Hi-Point employee. "I own one of all the pistols he makes - five of them"

Deeb makes $1 million a year, and lives in a $400,000, 5,600-square-foot house on 16 acres of land. Deeb's answer to gun violence is to enforce existing laws - not to further restrict gun sales or production. "If you have punishment, the crime decreases," says Deeb. He is a fan of President Bush, and gave Republicans $30,000 in the 2004 election. Deeb says, "I support George W. Bush. He's really empowered federal agents to put pressure on people who commit firearms crimes, and that's why crime is decreasing."

Deeb's 27-year-old son helps run the plant. "They say we're making guns for criminals. The truth is, my dad is one of the best, most caring people you ever met," said Thomas Deeb II.

Copied from a post at the Firing Line

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Except its wrong. Its old and rather outdated as its talking about supporting Busch which makes it 16+ years ago?
    Deebs sold the company earlier in the year and is no longer the owner.

But it WAS pertinent information at one time.

3. Pistol

Pistol Member

Yes I just thought it spoke towards the original owners intent. He wasn't about profiteering. Spoke to a man's character somewhat.

4. Maybe not profiteering, but when you own a small company and all of your employee's pay per year combined does not equal your's, you are definitely in it for the money.

5. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    You beat me to the punch. I was trying to find the same quote a few minutes ago.

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

If the owner of any company doesn't show a profit & build bank of $$$, then who is going to keep the ship a float during the STORM?
    And there is always going to be a STORM!!!

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Actually...their combined pay plus bennies after taxes WAS probably more than Deebs made. Not that it matters. His design, his risk, his company, his rules. The workers were willing to take $11, he made sure to never lay them off, they had a nearly guaranteed job. I don't see the problem

$11 x 30 people x 40 hours x 50 weeks per year is $660,000. Apply tax law, then add in bennies...Deebs will pay between 30-50%, and self insure, the employees will pay closer to 15-20% tax and get insurance free.

8. I get the whole "his cmpany, his rules" thing to a point. I am just pointing out that based on his reported salary, it is very hard to accept his "I am just in it for the little people".

Plus, his salary does not come into play "during a storm". It just doesn't work like that, you don't just cut a check back to your company. Especially with Ohio law (I owned my own consulting firm so I can speak from experience).

Next, tax law, benies, self-insured company, etc all apply to him too.

Lastly, where was it stated that the employee insurance was provided premium free?

9. 91b10

91b10 Member

Yep. That Deebs guy was a real bastard. He should have closed the company down and laid off all those people... What a capitalist jerk. No one should have the right to offer anyone a job/career/security/future if they're just going to get rich in the process... Thats whats wrong with America - all those selfish small business owners.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    PLUS, $11 is the entry level job. Not all of them are stuck at $11/hr.

It also said insurance was PROVIDED, not "offered". This is all semantics anyway,
    my "provided" insurance is actually self-paid, as a pre-tax benny. I'm just fortunate
    to make triple of what an entry level Hi Point employee makes. As a skilled professional.