Thoughts on Guns

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by lakota169, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Thoughts on Guns:
    * The purpose of fighting is to win.
    * There is no possible victory in defense.
    * The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    * The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.
    As John Steinbeck once said.
    1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
    2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
    4. When seconds may count, the cops are just minutes away.
    5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers.
    The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do carry a .45?".
    The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a .46."
    6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity!!!
    7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
    "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?"
    "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."
    8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY K NOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!
    I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house, - to which I said I did.
    She said "well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!" To which I said, "of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets.
    "She then asked, "Are you that afraid of some one evil coming into your house?"
    My reply was, "No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching afire either, but I have fire extinguishers around,
    and they are all loaded too."

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

Had an ex-girlfriend who was shocked to find a .375 hanging in a holster off my headboard (well, it's a Kobe futon so it was more like leaning against it,but you get the idea). She said "Why would you even need something like that?" and alluded to the fact that she could possibly not date a person who would own such a "henious" thing.

I simply said "Good question", and then proceded to pull out my health insurance card, my cell phone, went into the bathroom and grabbed my nitro percription and then got my dog (The late but loveable Chairman Mao the Chow Chow) and led her into the room. Last, I grabbed my prayer beads off the night table and threw those on the bed with the rest of the stuff, pseudo-intelligent fuzzball included.

Confused, she just looked at me and said "What the heck does this stuff have to do with anything"

I said "These are all tools for me to survive. Hopefully I will never need any of them, but at some point in time during my life, I have needed each and every one of these. Without ALL of them, I would not be here. Do not throw away what helps you, keep only what betters you. The rest is a product of want, not need. So, do you want me around?"

My take on things, from a Liberal, Buddhist gun owner (Edited at the end bit just to clarify that afilliation doesn't change reason, only strengthens it)

3. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Well put, amigo!

4. neo:

Though I'm sure I disagree with you on many points, you always defend your positions with grace and insight. In Gassho, from a conservative fellow traveller.

5. Shootest 995

Shootest 995 Guest

As Emeril the cooking guy says " BAM"

Neo, you certainly make your point, eloquently! :)

6. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I thought it seemed like a drawn out/dramatic scene.But then I realized what thespian means. So i guess it was a normal reaction. For you...

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

Thank you:)

Besides, if you guys agreed with me it wouldn't be any fun!! That was a mellow, straightforward conversation with her. SHE was the one big on drama AND she was from a big anti-union family. It wasn't meant to be (Tip: NEVER date a Vegan when you've been raised on meat pies and sausages.)

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

What does being anti-union have to do with anything, hell, support her for that!

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

My family is strong in the Union movement, and instead of being diplomatic about her views, she said some very nasty things upon meeting my parents. She was also a VERY firm anti-war protester who also called military personel "pawns of the government".

Dad is an HVAC engineer and Union Pipefitter, and mum was a 25 year Nurse with the Regular Army back home.

She was just a BAD lapse in judgement.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

wow, alright, well, I won't get into a "pro-con" argument with you over the union, I've read a lot of your posts here, and I respect you enough not to argue over it, though I wouldn't mind a debate if you started a topic in the FFZ, lol.

Yeah, I see your point now if she made nasty comments to your parents, thats very out of place, I'd of kicked her out then, lol.

Also, me being a "pawn of the government" I say let her move to a country were there isn't such a great military fighting for her freedom to think and say that and not get shot.

Though, she seems weird, most pro-union people are conservative, and believe in the military.

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

heh...noted for the debate! But, I usually have to be inspired (aka I have to be poked by the sharp neocon-stick).

And no worry about the kicking out....she met my little sis and she pretty much scared her away (she's a terrifying little demon...just like mum)

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Well, I think I could "inspire" (more like enrage) ya into a debate, but I don't want to ruin what could possibly be an awesome friendship

13. elguapo

elguapo Guest

You guys wait till you meet Neo! He's a hoot!

14. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

pah I already think he doesn't like me so I guess I can start one. Although I am not really the neocon type. More of the if it is their business no one can tell them what to do with it so all of you lazy striking scumbags are fired so go find another job! kind of person.

15. Neo is an endangered (By his own self) and protected (In our prayers for him) species

16. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Thart's ok Kelotravolski None of us like you anyway so why change now :lol: I'm joking dude!!! You just set yourself up so I just HAD to dig in. Hee Hee

17. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

But then again we don't like Neo either we just tolerate the shmuck :wink: :lol: :lol: Gotcha Neo :p

18. neothespian

neothespian Member

Dude...have nothing against you so don't worry :D Sure I have far different views, but I'm just vocal about them.

Some can attest here: You will KNOW when I don't like you, and It's only happened two other times on here. That's when I start writing term papers for repsonses (even including annotations and an appendix...not kidding) and just getting pissy.

19. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Guns follow the same principal as condoms. Id rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.

SW