thoughts on the 380 acp

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by greg_r, Aug 3, 2014.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I own three 380's, my brother owns 2. It is my 3rd favorite caliber, behind the 38 special, and the 45 auto rim/acp.

The TCP is my EDC. the only issue is that occasionally the slide will lock back with rounds still in the magazine. I think I may be hitting the slide catch with my thumb during recoil. Issue is so infrequent I can not isolate it.

Lorcin, 5+ 1, I think this is now made by Cobra. Fun at the range, seems to have a few fail to eject each range session.

LCP, My brothers EDC, never seen this one have any issues. It actually hurts to shoot this one though.

Bersa Thunder, the most accurate centerfire handgun I have ever shot. It will actually shoot one ragged hole at 10 yards if I do my part. Used this to qualify. The instructor commented it was as good of shooting as he had ever seen. Too bad it's not dependable. About a 20% failure rate.

CF380, mild mannered and fun to shoot. Only ever had two malfunctions. Two double feeds back to back. Second in accuracy only to the Bersa. ( fixed barrels?) I am getting to where I carry this quite a bit. Wish I had bought one sooner.

2. Its a popular cartridge, for good reason - adequate self defense round, compact size & usually mild recoil. If not for the C9, I would have bought a Cobra FS380. :)

3. cktvt

cktvt Member

My ex-GF has the LCP and it's a great little gun but kinda snappy like you said. Not much fun at the range but a great comfort when warm weather means you have to dress down and "carry down".

4. Yup the Lorcin design is now made by Cobra; they made the slides more robust as the Lorcin L380 slides were prone to crack/fail. (The Lorcin L32 and L380 are essentially the same gun.)

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Glock 42 is coming down in price, and the availability has gotten better. The first sold had issues, that is fixed. $449 or less. Myself? I will wait for Glock to get the single stack 9mm and wait for the bugs to get fixed.

6. cktvt

cktvt Member

I just bought one for $400 from a LGS and there's another one that had them last week for $399 here in VT.

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I like the Kel Tec's in the summer for cc. 9mm or 380.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The HP CF 380 is amazingly easy to shoot.

The P3AT is amazingly easy to carry.

But the .380 is more expensive than 9 mm, it's less effective in theory, and if it weren't for the fact that the Keltec makes carry so easy, I'd never bother with the round.

Especially not in a $400 gun that is bigger than some compact 9 mm guns.;)

9. I love .380ACP My use it in larger frames. like the CF, and the Bersa. And EDC it in my tiny Body guard.

My only wish was that .380 got cheaper.

10. cktvt

cktvt Member

My summer carry is Ruger's LC9 - mine is Cerikoted 'cause I sweat (rust). I love that thing - no bigger than my old PPK/S (and yeah, also comparable to the G42) and hits harder.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

.380 may come down. Stock up on all ammo as the undocumented Democrats will be buying lots of ammo if Barry lets them put it on their WIC card. BTW pay cash! No plastic.

12. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

You'll find a lot of people who discount the .380ACP as a personal defense round. They'll insist that the ____________ (insert the particular mall ninja's favorite ammo here) is the minimum adequate caliber for personal defense.

Of course, of all the people I have heard besmirch the .380, exactly NONE of them have volunteered to stand in the way of one headed downrange. So...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  13. bluharley

bluharley Member

I have a .32, and I wouldn't want one of those hitting me. But, a high, adrenalin soaked junky would probably not even feel it. So I got a JCP!

14. papataylor

papataylor Member

My EDC is a colt mustang XSP in .380, work requires business professional dress so she rides in a remora holster with the spare mag pocket (shout out to SWAGA for turning me on to remora). It carries incredibly well, shoots much more pleasantly than an lcp/tcp/3AT.

That said $620 was far more than I ever wanted to spend on a .380. But I love Colt, and it's truly the only .380 I felt was ergonomic, accurate, reliable, and shootable enough to carry out of the guns in it's class. The 42 is just too big, the sig p238 is too blocky and uncomfortable, and the kimber Micro Carry didn't function well. I actually traded it for a Vepr-12.

Now as far as the round goes, I love it. Accurate enough to shoot arcade targets, powerful enough to get me to my rifle in the trunk from my desk, or get me out if a hairy situation. It's the ultimate compromise round in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

15. cktvt

cktvt Member

I read several reviews on the XSP. Sounds like a significant improvement over the old Mustang, not that there was anything wrong with the old one.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think that's the key word...compromise. And I don't mean that in a negative way. It's just enough power, the guns can be really small and light but still handle the pressures, and recoil even in those guns isn't really bad as long as you don't try to shoot 50-100 rounds per session.

BTW...is there ANY round that's inherently not accurate enough to shoot arcade targets? To me, accuracy is in the gun first, then in finding the ammo for that gun to maximize accuracy.

17. papataylor

papataylor Member

Thats a great point. I should've elaborated more.

When I say arcade targets I'm talking specifically steel plates designed for higher powered rounds.

The 6" circle arcades to give an example, are typically too stout for calibers like .22 and .25, even .32 in some instances. Because of the typical self defense style pocket rockets chambered in .22/.25/.32 they often aren't accurate enough for arcade (my FIE comes to mind) but it's all about the gun. The Phoenix plonked them all day, even a beretta or colt vest is accurate enough.

These rounds (pocket rocket/Saturday night special semi-autos) aren't usually powerful enough to knock the plates down at a reasonable distance (3-7yards) the .380 is. Of course ymmv and target quality has a lot to factor in.

I suppose what I'm getting at again is compromise. .380 pocket firearms are USUALLY accurate enough and POWERFUL enough to shoot accurately, comfortably, and maintain enough power to cycle/knock the intended target.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Cool, makes sense.;)

I was thinking the old penny arcade .22 shooting galleries.:p

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I read a study somewhere and the guy found that all the shooting incidents he could find in like 15 years the 380 was used more and had a higher stopping rate than any other caliber. The stopping was kill shoots to stopping the other person non fatal. I like the 380 or 9 mm in the summer but carry a 40 in the winter.

20. bluharley

bluharley Member

I've been thinking about the Kahr CM40. Tiny little thing, probably quite snappy.