thoughts

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by scottdobbins, Dec 16, 2015.

1. scottdobbins

scottdobbins Supporting Member

What's everyone thoughts on the cf380

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Easy to shoot, accurate, and pointless, really.

3. scottdobbins

So for s first time gun buyer not the one to get?

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well...it's more expensive than the C9 to shoot, and less powerful.

I like .380 as a small carry gun, but the HP isn't that.

5. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

That depends on what you want from a gun. The .380 is probably going to have less recoil, and be easier to place follow up shots on target for new or recoil sensitive shooters. It doesn't pack nearly the same punch as the 9mm though. It all boils down to what you like, and are able to shoot well. If you are an experienced shooter, the 9mm is the way to go. If you are less experienced, and don't mind the somewhat higher cost of ammunition and don't need the extra power of the 9, then the .380 is the way to go.

6. scottdobbins

Thanks that helps out... I am a first time gun buyer so Ill probably do the. .380

7. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

But the C9 has very little recoil....

8. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Hardly noticeable.....

9. mr_flintstone

True, the C9 is a much heavier gun than some other 9mm guns, so it will have less recoil. Still, though, the CF380 will have less than the C9. I would suggest you try each if you have a gun range nearby, or know someone that will let you shoot each of them for comparison. The more you practice, though, the less you will notice the somewhat heavier recoil of the 9mm.

What is going to be you main use for the pistol? Self defense, home defense, or plinking? The 9mm will probably stop a bad guy quicker than the .380, but the .380 will be a little less likely to penetrate walls and harm someone on the other side; especially with hollow point ammo.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You'll probably regret it.:p

Really, the C9 is a heavy gun, so though it has "more" recoil than the .380, it is little recoil for a "small" 9mm.

Ammo for the 9 mm is regularly available for under $10/50, while .380 simply isn't, and is often over $16/50.

All that said...if you are fully prepared to buy another gun within the next 6 months to a year, (because you WILL want to:eek:) the CF380 IS a good starter gun.;)

Personally, I'd only ever buy the CF380 as a used gun, since I can find them at $120 around here. In fact, I got one for $80 once a few years back. Had to dump sand out of the action, but it ran fine after cleaning. :rolleyes:

11. histed

histed Supporting Member

sarahm0m is right on, scott. I've shot both, so has my wife (who is not a big woman) and neither of us can tell much of a difference. AND 9mm is cheaper and hits harder. Just one bulldog's opinion, but I think you'll like the 9.

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My experience with the CF380 has been nothing less than stellar. It was one of the few semi automatic handguns that was 100%.

I recently converted it to a 9mm and had to convert it back to 380 at the request of the wife and daughter. They had a hard time racking the slide with the stronger 9mm recoil spring due to arthritis. As a 9, recoil was mild. As a 380, it is really mild, more of a sensation of that big slide moving. The 380 is also much more accurate, at least in mine.

13. scottdobbins

Thanks for all the thoughts guys and gal... I believe tht I am going to go with the cf380... For a first time guy buyer it sounds like it will b the best way to go for now...

14. histed

histed Supporting Member

Man gotta start somewhere. Extra magazines, Scott, LOTS of extra magazines - I recommend the 10 round. Order from MOM at about $18.00 each. And save your brass! Guys here (like ME) will take it off you hands, pay shipping and a small fee, which will help you pay for more ammo.

15. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I get second dibs on your brass!

16. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Great for teaching your girlfriend or little sister to shoot.

17. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    What is your purpose for buying a handgun? That should be the first consideration. Once that is established, which one to buy becomes clearer.
    A fun gun to shoot at the range?
    A home protection gun?
    A ccw gun?
    A gun to shoot varmits who are raiding the chicken house?
    If there is one all purpose handgun, I sure haven't found it.

18. mr_flintstone

Don't worry guys. Once he gets the CF380 he'll catch "the bug". It won't be long until he has a whole collection.

19. scottdobbins

I will hold on to the brass and I will also tell my father in law to do the same

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

grrr I need 380 brass... have like 7,000 pieces of 9mm... maybe 500 380...

IF you want to use it for home defense look at Buffalo Bore hollow points. Loaded VERY hot(the recoil from them in my PK380 is very snappy) and they perform almost like the 9mm with 13 inches of penetration in 4 layers of denim then ballistics gel.