Thread size for charging handle on 995ts?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by StlMike1969, Dec 31, 2014.

1. StlMike1969

StlMike1969 Member

I am looking to replace the charging handle on my new 995 ts on the way. I am wishing to do something not seen yet and was curious what the thread size is on the charging handle for the 995 ts as it comes from the factory? Thanks.

Also a second question I remembered.

Based on what i am reading from the Brasstacker website on their right side conversion of the charging handle. Is it possible to just take out the existing charging handle and nut and run a lever all the way through the bolt assembly and locking up tight on the left side or under the right such as it seems the brasstacker handle does?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. StlMike1969

StlMike1969 Member

Wow, 42 views so far and no one knows the thread size? Just wanting to order a bolt online and just need some measurements to use. Thanks.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Nope. Take yours to home depot and screw it into that size display they have. Then tell us so we all know.

4. StlMike1969

StlMike1969 Member

Actually I was able to find it out through the hi-point blueprint. Sent an email to a local company asking if they could some how send me a stainless lever I saw in their order. They emailed me back and said they were sending me one for free. Got it in the mail few days later and it works like a charm. I had to modify my metal shroud cover but now I have a right side charging handle. I will post pics online in the next couple of days. My mod just about done. Waiting for the paint to dry.

The thread size is 1/4 - 20

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. StlMike1969

StlMike1969 Member

Here is a pic of my new 995TS with the right side handle.

Attached Files:

6. It looks Awesome! Love the color! Great idea on the rt side handle.

7. reverendg

reverendg Member

1/4-20...not sure the overall length though, or shank length.

8. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

Yes, 1/4-20 is the thread size. If you elongated the retraction slot in the receiver shroud to allow full movement of the handle bolt, keep an eye out for the possibility of the receiver becoming deformed after extensive periods of shooting. If you elongate the right side, you may have to create a "plug" to re-enforce the opposite side so as not to change the integrity of the original structure. This is why we have not yet introduced our own right-side charging handles yet. We want to do some testing of the receiver strength first.
    j.

9. StlMike1969

StlMike1969 Member

Thanks for the heads up. I did not really ever think something like that would have been an issue. I will keep an eye on it. Thankfully I do not hit the range every other week and when I do it is usually only a 100 rounds or so. Will let you know if i see any issues appear.

10. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Please post the details of the $6.50 stainless lever that you ordered so that we too can order!

11. reverendg

reverendg Member

One thing to watch for is the threaded insert backing out. The charging handle is held in place by a knurled insert pressed into the breech bolt, from the right side. If the insert loosens on the standard left-side set-up, nothing happens, since the bolt shank touches the breech bolt and holds everything together tight.
    With the right side handle, if the knurled insert loosens you may toss a charging handle assy, insert and all, somewhere up or downrange.

12. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Loctite works wonders for that.

13. StlMike1969

StlMike1969 Member

14. StlMike1969

StlMike1969 Member

Yes I used just a little loctite on mine. Put some on, threaded into the hole, backed out, wiped clean and reinserted. That way It was not too tight so as to be a pain removing later for cleaning but still holds well.