threading a hipoint

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bigdawg, Feb 9, 2016.

1. bigdawg

bigdawg Member

Has anyone here threaded their hp carbine or pistol for a suppressor? I'm thinking of doing this for a home defense weapon. I value my families hearing as much as their lives.

2. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Welcome to the forum! When it comes to lives, everything else takes a back seat. You are over thinking this. I would rather be deaf and alive than dead and still deaf. So would my family. :rolleyes:

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Stick with .380. It's a rather quiet round indoors. Never even woke my family when mine went off.

4. bigdawg

bigdawg Member

How am I overthinking this. I care about life and hearing. So anyone with a suppressor is going to end up dead and deaf? That makes absolutely no sense at all. :confused:

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You would need a comp model pistol to safely thread a barrel, if I'm not mistaken. Threading a carbine is as simple as waiting for FlashBang to chime in.

6. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Makes perfect sense. I would rather be completely deaf ( and so would members of my family ) than dead! I worry about surviving first, every thing else takes a back seat. Worry about surviving the encounter and not about the "resulting" after effects. That is, if you succeed in surviving!

7. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Nope but I'd sure like to see one !
    The tax stamp cost almost more than the carbine.
    Now if you threaded it for say an trap cleaning kit .

8. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    You have to make sure you are doing the threading correctly. May be wise to have a gun smith do it. A face full of monkey gun is not worth it.

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
    Just how much of an extended fire fight do you expect?
    Most self defense shootings are 3 shots or less within 6 feet.

You'll probably be shouting, yelling or screaming.
    Open mouth opens the Eustachian tunes and equalizes pressure. This won't help long term but it will prevent an eardrum rupture.
    People that shoot gun on a regular basis without hearing protection go deaf.
    Your ears may ring if you fire a .357 in a closet but that should clear up in a day or two.

You can also keep a set of electronic earmuffs next to your gun.
    It will also amplify ambient sounds so you may even hear an intruder better.
    I've heard of people putting on ballistic vests and everything before they clear their house.
    Keep in mind it's nog legal in every state to go 'looking for trouble'.
    In some states the law is such that trouble needs to 'find YOU' before you can use legal force.

*afterthought*

How would a prosecuting attorney look at a home owner that used a silenced weapon?
    If I have two bad guys in my house I'd rather have the second one run after I'm forced to shoot the first one then to have to shoot both of them.
    I know a silencer doesn't make it whisper quiet but I think electronic ear muffs would 'sell' better to a jury then a 'silencer'

Like I said, afterthought , don't try to hang me on it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. My defense attorney would say I was prepping to kill rats in the basement and didn't want to wake up sweetie in the process. Instead, I ended up shooting a different species of rat.

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

2 scumbags broke in my house and are a threat. I am fully within my rights to shoot them both.

12. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Yes SIIIR, Compensated Model with it removed,....

Attached Files:

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

14. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Ungh, I'd check with an actual lawyer and make sure before you go all Dirty Harry on someone.

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    She's right, in most states...
    We had a guy shoot someone on his front porch,
    no charges were ever filed. Shot'em DEAD! :eek:
    Ruled Self Defense.

17. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

And the first words to a Police Officer,, Detective,, ADA,, or DA,, should be,, I Was Afraid For My Life,, or I Was Afraid For My Life,, and My Family's Lives..

18. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Lol, this can be taken so many ways .....:rolleyes:

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    +1 Ratty :D

20. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

Nevada is a stand your ground state. Property is defendable by deadly force. Yeehaw Wild West!