threading the barrel

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by DirtyD, Sep 21, 2015.

1. DirtyD

DirtyD Member

I was just wondering which thread I should go with when it comes time to tread the barrel.

9/16 x 24
    or
    .578 x 28

Thank ya.

btw, I have a 4095TS.

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Are you doing this yourself or having it done by a gunsmith?

3. DirtyD

DirtyD Member

I might try it myself. but if need be, i have a gunsmith friend to watch me lol

4. FlashBang

If you have never threaded a barrel before, and you are looking to thread it for possible use in mounting a suppressor, I HIGHLY recommend that you have it done by a qualified gunsmith. Anytime you thread a barrel you need to understand about wall thickness required, shoulder height, and most importantly the criticality of being concentric to the bore. The HP 4095 has a factory barrel length of 17.5"; if you screw up threading the barrel and need to cut it, you run the strong chance of dropping below the required 16" and getting into NFA land.

Until you've worked with someone and learned how to properly thread, have a gunsmith do it for you. ;)

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It depends on the thing you intend to attach.;)

6. DirtyD

DirtyD Member

7. FlashBang

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I measured my 4095 barrel, it is slightly larger than the G20 barrel (10mm) so really
    best bet is to use the HP comp... save a LOT of dough. Your bigger thread (.578" x 28 tpi) is only about .016" bigger, and might fit the HP 40 S&W barrel
    better (or actually just thread a bit easier, or but the barrel can be turned down
    prior to threading, several ways to skin this cat) but using the bigger Comp for
    the 45 ACP, would be less effective with the extra clearance around the 40 bullet!
    You really need to do what your machinist is comfortable with, or just get the
    MOM-Comp ;) (best bet!) :D Save $100 or more all told...

9. FlashBang

Well, whatever thread size you want to go with will require you to cut the diameter of the barrel to size. Chuck it up in your lathe, set the tool to be concentric to the bore, calculate out how much wall is going to be left for each diameter you are thinking of, decide on the thread size you are going to go with, and then turn the barrel to diameter. Once you do that, all you need to do is set up your cutting tool and cut the threads you decided to go with.

Or as an alternative you can purchase an annular cutter to get the diameter required for the thread size you want, and purchase a die handle and the die you need. Then its just a matter of cutting the diameter with the annular cutter concentric to the bore and threading it with the thread die.

You'll have to measure the current diameter of the barrel, determine what diameter you need for 5/8 or 9/16 threading, and then calculate how much barrel wall will be left after you cut the diameter you would require for each. You have to then cut to the diameter that ensures you leave enough wall behind to keep the barrel safe. If you are only going to ever put a compensator on it, you can use a jam nut and not worry about cutting a perfect shoulder. As a safety measure, Locktite it and/or pin it.

Attached Files:

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ;) Matching Set! :D

Actually, my KISSS Theory 4095 is a fair looking piece, with the low profile irons,
    shortened front sight, and compact 4x30 r/g dot system, see thru base... :cool:

Attached Files:

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  12. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

The I.D. of the cutter would have to be the exact size of the barrel O.D. you would need for your threads. Is that what you used on the SKS? What size was that cutter? Nice job by the way!

13. FlashBang

The SKS was done using an .545 annular cutter to give me the OD to thread 14x1 LH.

14. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

What was the size of the pilot shaft in the center? The bit didn't chatter around while you were drilling?
    Definitely an interesting way of doing it, usually those bits are used for making holes in metal where you're more interested in the outside diameter size of the bit.
    But that bit does save a lot of time and expense if it's accurate, otherwise you have to strip that SKS barrel down to fit in a lathe. I have to remember this trick. Nice.

15. FlashBang

The bore pilot is 7.62. :)
    No chatter if rpm's are keep low and the barrel is kept wet with cutting fluid.

Using annular cutters is not for inexperienced firearms owners to attempt, especially if it is to prepare a barrel for a suppressor. Extreme caution and attention to detail has to be performed in order to remain safe. If you are not experienced you should always have barrel threading performed by a competent gunsmith.

16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member