Three 410,s with different barrel lengths

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by fatal-bert33, Oct 26, 2019.

1. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Weather and time permitting, next week going to try these three at the range shooting the same buckshot from 5 or 6 yards. Curious in how much the pattern will differ from short range. Taurus Judge with 6" barrel, Mossy Shockwave with 14" barrel and bubbed Hatefield with 18" barrel. 410a.JPG 4102.JPG

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    ajole likes this.
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sounds like a fun day. Gonna take any meat targets?

fatal-bert33 likes this.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My guess is;
    The Shockwave and Bubba’ ed Hatfield will shoot the same, the judge will scatter more due to the longer rifled barrel.

I have never done well with birdshot in longer rifled barrels anyways, I don’t think the shot volume likes to be spun. My 1 7/8" NAA mini shoots shot better than my 5.5” Single Six. My H&R 45/410 survivor does just ok but it has a straight rifled choke tube to stop the spin. Still, it’s only a 20 yard gun.

I am curious to see how your experiment goes.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  4. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    my prediction is that there will be no spread at 5 or 6 yards with all 3 guns.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  5. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    In this video he shoots the Judge at 7 yards with buckshot, and it probably had anywhere from 1 inch spread to 2 inch spread depending on the shot, and at 25 yards it can hardly hit the target. The video also shows how weak the buckshot is compared to a regular pistol cartridge.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  6. Paul Harrell has another video on the .410 shotgun if you are interested in watching it.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  7. Jason Tucker

Jason Tucker Member

Been wanting to get one of those Hatfield singles. But I think I'd want to go with the 20 gauge just for cheaper shells and a little more power.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  8. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

The 12 gauge Hatfield has the absolutely worst trigger I have ever pulled on a shotgun. And if you adjust it very much to lighten the pull it wont fire the primer. The 410 isn't as bad but far from what I would call a light pull.

9. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

I think I may get a little spread from the Judge but not much else. I think I have some #4 bird shot to try too.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019