Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that for almost 20 years we have talked about opening a retail carpet, and flooring store. He bought out the store he worked for many years. That was 6 years ago. I thought about selling my Florida land back in 2002-03 and doing that. What stopped me was my first wife. I knew it was eventually going to be a divorce and I didn't want her grabbing money she didn't earn.

Dad's estate should be settled in another month or two. If things go right could be up and running fairly quick. Just ironing out the legal crap is the hard part.
I'll be calling the county and see if we would be required to pave the parking lot. And make sure it is okay to do a flooring store.

They are going to be widening the road soon to 5 lanes. This area is booming. Closest flooring store is 8 miles to the North, or 22 miles to the South. Lowe's is 6 miles up the road. It is on the main drag into my county for the commuters that work in Nashville. With all the people in Nashville that just got their tax bills (property taxes went up 34-37%) they are fleeing town in record numbers. Their market is hot there.

Really nice thing is we can whip the dog shit out of the competitors on pricing, and inventory.

There is a side business at that location too. Self storage. We can add more of that too.

Do this for 6-7 years and kick back, and retire.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Go for it. If its what you want to do then embraceit and don't look back. I was a Silicon Valley marketing guy up unit about 15 years ago. Came out of the defense industry in SoCal. Then went over to the commercial side and went where the money was. Money was good, very good, very very good. That's what allowed me to get out and go to Culinary School. Not as lucrative but certainly more fun and not as stressful.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How's the back and the knees? If OK, then go for it, if not, hire a couple of younguns to do the labor.
No. Can't run a store and install at the same time.

I'm pretty sure we can pull some local installers over. Already discussed rates with my buddy. He pays well to them that show up to work. They pay crap rates in my area. When I installed I worked in Nashville 45mi away.

·
Premium Member
8,204 Posts
really iffy political climate to be opening a store... dems take over and your taxes will skyrocket...

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
really iffy political climate to be opening a store.....
:rolleyes:

Doesn't 90% of flooring material come out of China?
Tariffs will go away so prices will drop.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rolleyes:

Doesn't 90% of flooring material come out of China?
Tariffs will go away so prices will drop.
Not the carpet.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
really iffy political climate to be opening a store... dems take over and your taxes will skyrocket...
We just made an offer on the location. The owner has other offers yet nobody has gotten off their wallets. If we opened the doors by mid January it would be the earliest.

There is an 85% chance we will know who the president and congress will be by then.

People are fleeing the big cities all over the country and coming to TN for the low regulations, low taxes, bigger homes, and more land. Ask SwagZ Florida is going nuts right now.

Our main focus in the textile flooring will be cheap stuff. We'll go after the realtors as they pay good and like instock almost instant installations. We're not really interested in builders. Too hard to get your money. Get a sudden down turn you get screwed.

Property management places are a good source. Sometimes you can redo the same place 3 times a year!

Luxury vinyl tile, ceramic, prefinished hardwood, laminates etc. Not sure on the sand and finish woods.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actually in the market for new flooring....

But I'm a tad more than a hop, skip, and a jump from there, lol.
Depends, what type flooring you want. Once we get "rolling" :D (pun intended) might be able to ship direct from the mfr, or wholesaler to your city or house. I used to make a decent living without working for a retail store with referrals from discount outlets from Dalton. They would ship to Nashville and I would pick it up at the freight company. I can get things now through his Nashville store.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I'm actually in the market for new flooring....
10 years back I did bamboo throughout the bachelor pad (formerly a doctor's office). I liked the look and it was very affordable. Two downsides: The planks were only 3' long, and the manufacturer warned the scrap rate during install could run as high as 10% -the planks could split when you nailed it. My install scrap ran between 6-7%.

Wood Flooring Wood stain Floor Laminate flooring
Fixture Window Wood Paint Interior design

Reactions: SWAGA

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have fake bamboo in the gun room, and the bedroom. Hauled it out of mom's old place in NC. She had some engineered plank put down. I told he to make sure the installers left me enough to do the 2 rooms.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,017 Posts
I'm going to do laminate in some sort of grey toned barn wood look. Last time I quickie measured and shopped I figured I will be into it about 500 bucks between flooring, underlayment, and new trim. Brian and I will install it ourselves this winter. Should be a fairly easy deal and give the house quite a facelift.

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Just one question. How’s the market? I don’t see a lot of building or remodeling going on around here. Earlier this year we remodeled and had contractors tripping over themselves trying to get the work.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to do laminate in some sort of grey toned barn wood look. Last time I quickie measured and shopped I figured I will be into it about 500 bucks between flooring, underlayment, and new trim. Brian and I will install it ourselves this winter. Should be a fairly easy deal and give the house quite a facelift.
Make sure the floor is flat,very flat. The day you install your floor is the most important day in it's life.
My floor in my l 13x17 living room required 60lbs of patch to level it. I don't have creaks, and that hollow sound many laminate floors do. I paid $.82 a foot for this 8mm laminate in my living room. That was in 2006. It's been great.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just one question. How's the market? I don't see a lot of building or remodeling going on around here. Earlier this year we remodeled and had contractors tripping over themselves trying to get the work.
Did you read anything I posted above? Building around here is insane. :eek: I bet it is crazy down in Kernersville, High Point etc South of you. Lumber is in short supply all across the country. Last I checked an 8ft 2x4 is $9. Supply isn't keeping up with demand. The New Yorkers are moving to your area too.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
The housing market is booming where I'm at both in Florida and mAssachooshitz. Contractors have been busy fixing up shitholes for people looking for a quick flip.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Around here instead of building new the contractors are gutting old houses and redoing them. I get at least 1 piece of mail each week from somebody wanting to buy my house. I ought to find out how much they’re willing to give me, might have to take the offer and get a trailer on a piece of NC property!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts