time for a new knife please help.

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by lsi1, Feb 7, 2016.

1. lsi1

lsi1 Member

ok its time for me to buy a new knife and instead of buying more crap I'm after a good one this time.

I currently carry a kershaw clash thats seen better days the hinge is worn there is a lot of side to side play that can no longer be tightened the soft chinese steel won't keep an edge for more than a day or 2 of hard use.

I cut a lot of heavy cardboard on a nearly daily basis.

I want an American made knife or if not American a very good quality knife.

I top out budget wise at $100 ant thats stretching it to get the griptilian into any possible running.

2. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I'm partial to SOG knifes myself. Seem to hold an edge well and have a range of prices. My carry is a Mini Aegis. Assist open is a nice feature.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The correct answer for regularly cutting lots of boxes is a razor knife of some sort.

Really. Cutting all that cellulose based fiber at right angles is terrible on a knife, so replacing the blade is a good way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Lite-P...F8&qid=1454878433&sr=8-4&keywords=Razor+knife

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-...8&qid=1454878433&sr=8-10&keywords=Razor+knife

Or if you MUST spend more, try the Piranta knives.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ywords=Piranta+knife&rh=i:aps,k:Piranta+knife

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i totally agree and generally carry a utility knife as well however i carry enough stuff on my person that I should cut down a bit.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    These are all folders, and two of them are really shaped like real knives.;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

The serrated portion of my S&W Border Guard II does a good job on cardboard, sharpening contractor pencils, kern mantle rope, seat belts, etc. Saves the straight portion of the blade for more important stuff.

7. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    If your cutting cardboard buy a box cutter lol.. On a serious not I cut a lot of boxes at work.. My main carry blade is a Spyderco ENDURA 4 FRN Model it has VG 10 Steel so it holds up pretty good.. It's made in Japan but it's a quality made knife.. I paid $60 for it.. It's a perfect EDC blade AKA perfect box cutter

8. I never leave the house without a Victorinox SAK of some flavor. But for constant cutting of cardboard.....yeah razor knife.

Attached Files:

9. .............

Attached Files:

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

since I chose not to buy a gun this year instead i bought some tools and may buy a ladder for that roof project I am tackling I decided to splurge and try the griptillian which I have heard so many positive things about. For now I'll keep carrying my old faithful lutz 357 utility knife.

11. OkSlim

OkSlim Member

I have been carrying the same Clash for 3 years and I love it.

I have not had any of the issues you describe.

I saw a top 10 list the other day and the Kershaw Rake was on it.

A farm and ranch supply store had the clash, the ken onion and one other model on sale for like 18 bucks each. I bought all they would let me buy.

I gave My 2 daughters, 3 sons and 2 SIL's the Clash for Christmas.

Gave the balance to a couple of friends and some customers.

Wound up not keeping one for me.

If you are set on something else, sounds like maybe a Bench made. or my personal favorite

[​IMG]

12. desertrider

desertrider Member

As already stated by others, a box cutter is better suited for your needs, plus replacement blades are cheaper than the time spent sharpening the blade on a nice knife.

My EDC's are folders, but the two SOG knives I have are fixed blades, and though they aren't American made, they are solid.

My first was a SOG Seal Pup II, and I like it so much I just bought a Field Pup I to keep in my glove box. Cabela's just had these on sale for $19.99.

The black is the Seal Pup, and the satin is the Field Pup....

[​IMG]

Since I just received my Field Pup yesterday I still had the packaging, here's the specs on the knife...

[​IMG]

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Waitafrigginminute...
    I thought you were in the GUN a MONTH CLUB!!! :(

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I have a new one arriving soon, it is made by an up and coming
    custom knife maker... :D Not sure if he wants any publicity yet :cool:

15. I take it you do this for work. Is OSHA involved there?

If so, you need to read up on OSHA APPROVED box opening tools. Non-folding, non-locking knives, I think with blades greater than two inches, are not OSHA approved.

Preferred are "edgeless" box openers. They have a plastic handle with a little metal tab. That tab is not sharp, but man does it slice through box tape and sides like butter. Weird until you have used one.

When OSHA is not involved, I fall back to my little Swiss Army Classic SD.

16. colthrash

colthrash Member

Stanley 10-804, dual blade utility knife

17. colthrash

colthrash Member

here is a pic (I hope)

Attached Files:

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Here's my custom made knife.

[​IMG]

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Put a magnifying glass in that hole and you could start fires with it as well. Instant survival kit.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    But then you couldn't put your finger in there and twirl it.:confused: